sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post
    Someones gotta explain how and why transtasman taxes are $57. With the e gates theres not even the need for someone to look at the passports just one person to walk the cute beagle along to sniff and other typical airport costs.

feels weird when these $69 fares are hyped but in europe the fares are much cheaper.

i flew from bremen germany to fez morroco for 10 euro or less than 20 nzd for a 3 hour flight. Granted it was a low cost carrier but this really doesn’t change things like fuel.

i also flew from Bremen to stockholm for 13 euros or about 20 bucks and yes only about an hour flight time but it wasn’t even a special fare just a standard one you could book anytime.

Looks like Transtasman costs need to be seriously looked at and cut down.
    Looking at my GDS display, taxes on AKL-MEL:

New Zealand Passenger Service Charge International Departures (KK)
    NZ$17.15
    New Zealand Passenger Security Charge International (IA)
    NZ$15.62
    Australia Passenger Services Charge Arrival International (WY)
    NZ$21.90
    New Zealand Border Clearance Levy International Departure (F1)
    NZ$2.94

That's the how... The why I'll leave to politicians. This is also NOT the breakeven cost (does anyone know what that is per passenger for Air NZ?), BUT just the minimum external cost of carriage. Basically at $57, the airline is flying the passenger for free on the airlines dime. At $69, we're giving Air NZ all of $12 to take us to Melbourne.
    Last edited by kiwijay; 29-02-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijay View Post
    Looking at my GDS display, taxes on AKL-MEL:

New Zealand Passenger Service Charge International Departures (KK)
    NZ$17.15
    New Zealand Passenger Security Charge International (IA)
    NZ$15.62
    Australia Passenger Services Charge Arrival International (WY)
    NZ$21.90
    New Zealand Border Clearance Levy International Departure (F1)
    NZ$2.94

That's the how... The why I'll leave to politicians. This is also NOT the breakeven cost (does anyone know what that is per passenger for Air NZ?), BUT just the minimum external cost of carriage. Basically at $57, the airline is flying the passenger for free on the airlines dime. At $69, we're giving Air NZ all of $12 to take us to Melbourne.
    Covers the cost of the food and drink lol
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

If you go to book the flights there actually aren't that many flights for $79 and the ones that are there are inconvenient times and days for most travelers not to mention the return flights arnt discounted much. I wouldn't say this is Air NZ at panic stations just yet but rather a smart promotion to get people thinking about trans-tasman travel as well as filling seats.

It was only two days ago when Air NZ released guidance on the impact of the virus, I imagine they have a better understanding of the impact then the posters in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Covers the cost of the food and drink lol
    It doesn't. There's also airways fees for air navigation and landing fees in Australia. They are flying people there for free including free fuel.

Fees and charges out of Australia are much higher so return for $205 to Melbourne is essentially all fees. It is desperation pricing and I have never in my life seen anything like this.
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-02-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    It doesn't. There's also airways fees for air navigation and landing fees in Australia. They are flying people there for free including free fuel.

Fees and charges out of Australia are much higher so return for $205 to Melbourne is essentially all fees. It is desperation pricing and I have never in my life seen anything like this.
    Good news is ... airlines seem to assume that the scare is over in a handful of months. Just checked prices for some flights to Europe we might need in September ... and the offers so far are pretty standard. No discounts on offer.

Which is obviously the bad news - we might need to pay the normal price : Damn.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Good news is ... airlines seem to assume that the scare is over in a handful of months. Just checked prices for some flights to Europe we might need in September ... and the offers so far are pretty standard. No discounts on offer.

Which is obviously the bad news - we might need to pay the normal price : Damn.
    Suggest you hold off with your booking and if you are still determined to go you will find really amazing specials come out in due course. I saw Emirates to Europe the other day for $1,599...the same airline that brought the virus infected guest back that had been to Iran...good luck mate.
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-02-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Suggest you hold off with your booking and if you are still determined to go you will find really amazing specials come out in due course. I saw Emirates to Europe the other day for $1,599...the same airline that brought the virus infected guest back that had been to Iran...good luck mate.
    Every 1 of 3 posts on AIR Sharetrader is your constant empty-glass down-ramping as everyone knows your 'SHORT' position which you remind at every opportunity. Your biased empty/full glass thoughts are becoming less meaningful as just your current position..............

GS

"The soft 1H20 result was largely led by the inability to place the incoming incremental fleet capacity into the market (in particular in international). While holding costs of the new fleet rose (+NZ$29mn), AIR was unable to offset this with the planned 1H20 capacity growth (T&PI +0.3% vs. guidance +2-3%; Int’l +5.8% vs. +7-8%) given the dilution to RASK (T&PI -1.5%; Int’l -1.9%) that it faced.

revised 12m TP of NZ$2.71 TP (was NZ$3.07)"

Veteran novice

It's just as well that AIR still has that domestic network making a dollar or two!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Every 1 of 3 posts on AIR Sharetrader is your constant empty-glass down-ramping as everyone knows your 'SHORT' position which you remind at every opportunity. Your biased empty/full glass thoughts are becoming less meaningful as just your current position..............

GS

"The soft 1H20 result was largely led by the inability to place the incoming incremental fleet capacity into the market (in particular in international). While holding costs of the new fleet rose (+NZ$29mn), AIR was unable to offset this with the planned 1H20 capacity growth (T&PI +0.3% vs. guidance +2-3%; Int’l +5.8% vs. +7-8%) given the dilution to RASK (T&PI -1.5%; Int’l -1.9%) that it faced.

revised 12m TP of NZ$2.71 TP (was NZ$3.07)"
    The inconvenient truth is I have called it right and sold at $2.98. If you believe GS you should double down and stand right in front of the approaching bear and see what happens. Good luck with that lol

The inconvenient truth is I have called it right and sold at $2.98. If you believe GS you should double down and stand right in front of the approaching bear and see what happens. Good luck with that lol
    Sounds like an Investor holding and not liking it.