sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Major downside of being a huge investor like Buffett is you can't be as nimble as smaller investors. Being able to execute easily well within one days average volume is the single biggest advantage a small investor has. People need to keep that key advantage in mind and use it whenever appropriate.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    You're dead right. Air NZ etc need to use this as a proper reset, not just expect tax payers to tide them over and hope to come out the other side BAU with their fat salaries. There is no way they can feasibly operate at a much reduced size while only axing 30% of the current labour base. Tough as it will be to swallow, realistically they need to have everyone reapply for their jobs at rates more in line with the new paradigm. But I guess that won't happen under the left leaning government, so we'll be shafted as tax payers and also on domestic flights for a long time to come.
    The established fat cats don't want a cost reset and that's AIR's biggest weakness going forward.
    Govt have admitted they can't let the airline fail and they're not going to "manage" AIR so management know they can count on the Govt for as long as they need too.
    The competitive disadvantage this will place AIR at in the long term is something to keep front and central of mind for anyone considering reinvesting for the long haul at some stage down the track.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-04-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The established fat cats don't want a cost reset and that's AIR's biggest weakness going forward.
    Govt have admitted they can't let the airline fail and they're not going to "manage" AIR so management know they can count on the Govt for as long as they need too.
    The competitive disadvantage this will place AIR at in the long term is something to keep front and central of mind for anyone considering reinvesting for the long haul at some stage down the track.
    Yep, and it's wrong, as it's us that will be paying for it. The only chance of a proper reset as I see it is if Qantas make an aggressive play at the NZ domestic market, and the chances of that happening in the next year or two are near zero.

Guru

We still need air freight for exporters & importers

"Govt have admitted they can't let the airline fail and they're not going to "manage" AIR."

Where did you get this Beagle? Any link can provide?

Zillions of dollars worth of credits waiting to be used .... a big chunk of that $1 billion cash on hand isn't really theirs eh

Personally I'm glad I insisted and got a full refund ...non of this credit stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mon...alands-credits
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lease View Post
    "Govt have admitted they can't let the airline fail and they're not going to "manage" AIR."

Where did you get this Beagle? Any link can provide?
    Its been in the media in the last couple of weeks. Was around the time of the $900m loan.

Its been in the media in the last couple of weeks. Was around the time of the $900m loan.
    Well, that means Government have no intention to nationalize AIR. That's great!

Coronavirus will eventually pass and life will return to normal, so as AIR. May take years but will be, and SP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Personally I'm glad I insisted and got a full refund ...non of this credit stuff.
    How much effort was required for that? Any advice? My in-laws were booked to head our way (paid for by the wife and I) before it all turned to custard...personally I'd rather have that in my pocket than Air NZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    How much effort was required for that? Any advice? My in-laws were booked to head our way (paid for by the wife and I) before it all turned to custard...personally I'd rather have that in my pocket than Air NZ's.
    Wanted to give a credit but after saying no twice and saying rather have the cash they said OK and got in bank 3 days later. London trip for 4 of us so was quite a lot and they weren’t Flexi fares or anything like that.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”