sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Engineers really miffed at something ...going to be 3 day strike if not sorted
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Engineers really miffed at something ...going to be 3 day strike if not sorted
    I doubt they're miffed as a collective. I'd call it leverage, excellent timing, with clear intent and purpose. It seems very well orchestrated and destined to be successful. Not sure I agree with their position but AIR are on the back foot, against clever astute negotiation.

In the end the engineers will probably only shoot themselves in the foot and it will become less and less efficient to do engineering work in New Zealand. In due course it will be the overseas overhaul shops that are the only winners from this fiasco and as the next round of redundancies inevitably kicks in the engineers will be left wondering why they didn't see this coming and why their union didn't do a better job of protecting their long term interests.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

As others have said there are two side's to any agreement.
    As I have a vested interest in this I will not be commenting on the specifics lest to say don't just read and take for gospel everything you read in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    As I have a vested interest in this I will not be commenting on the specifics lest to say don't just read and take for gospel everything you read in the media.
    You have declared your position so I think it only fair you print at least an abstract of what you believe the media have got wrong. I'm sure if you really didn't want to publicise your knowledge then you would have said nothing at all. If what you have is 'the truth' then you have nothing to worry about!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    You have declared your position so I think it only fair you print at least an abstract of what you believe the media have got wrong. I'm sure if you really didn't want to publicise your knowledge then you would have said nothing at all. If what you have is 'the truth' then you have nothing to worry about!
    Everyone has their own opinion. I have a friend who is a teacher and he commented on the pay disputes as being more about the money than the conditions for him. He just wanted more money plain and simple and felt he was not overworked. Yet other teachers say it has nothing to do with the money, it is all about the conditions. Everyone within the industry will give their view on things

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Fair enough and don't feel obliged to comment any further mate.
    I will just add that while there is always two sides to the story the optics on a planned strike just before Christmas and on AIR's busiest day of the year when over 40,000 people are trying to get to see their families for Christmas look really terrible. On the face of it this appears to be truly heinous timing and looks for all intents and purposes like your union is holding a gun to the head of the travelling public and the company.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12173632
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Had an excellent experience with Air NZ. Gold status just about to roll around and was only just short, but had a few cancelled flights - which would have put me over the line. Called up to speak with them about what I could do. The person I spoke to wasn't exactly clear when first spoke to him, but to give credit, they called me back soon after and then called me back again after he spoke with the "Premium Team". Gave me a few status points to get me over the line, so a happy camper!

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

Interesting...as is this, the era of ultra long haul travel Auckland to London direct looks like its coming soon but on the price per plane !
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12174746
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle;740747Interesting...as is this, the era of ultra long haul travel Auckland to London direct looks like its coming soon but :eek2: on the price per plane !
    [url
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12174746[/url]
    Only if you buy the Business Jet version - not a standard 777 and I'd expect much less people capacity.