sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Winner sent me this, absolutely fascinating piece of history if you're into bird watching, so I thought I would share it on here. Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTN-x21W2kQ Many thanks for sharing this Winner.
    The Sunderland flying boat doing a ‘touch and go’ was pretty cool
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    No worries whatsoever because Boeing says 737's with stress cracks in their pickle forks are good for at least another 1000 cycles and we know we can complelty trust everything Boeing tells us
    Ryanair grounding some now
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...g-and-fuselage

Spose Dreamliners will end up with structural concerns one day

Funny the names of these parts isn't it. Up until a few days ago I thought pickle forks were very small forks one might use on gherkins and pickles lol.

Benny1 probably has a view on how durable the carbon fiber birds will be.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

There was an excellent radio interview a few days ago with an aircraft engineer on this issue where he explained every mechanical device, cars, bridges, aircraft, etc suffers fatigue from day 1 of use & parts will eventually need replacing. This part did exactly what it is supposed to do, ie not break, but show a tiny hairline crack indicating earliest stages of a degree of fatigue reached many many cycles before it becomes a safety issue. The problem is not one of safety but of perception to the public & that’s fundamentally why they will replace these pickle forks well before their use by date. He went on to say the issue was raised by unions not aircraft engineers & implying a political motive. I remember talking to an elderly relative who flew bombers during WW2 & his descriptions of aircraft half shot to pieces with bits missing still able to fly home.

Yeah, I did a bit of flight training on little two seater Tomahawk aircraft back in the day https://www.airteamimages.com/piper-...te_221239.html
    and when they had stress cracks in the tail rotor they would just drill a small hole through the aluminium to stop the stress crack spreading.
    Used to do the books of a couple of helicopter operators and I'll never forget the time when they sold one of their AS350B squirrel's. The sale and purchase documentation and engineers reports contained a page and a half of items that weren't perfect but the Helicopter was still considered "airworthy" I was told this is not abnormal.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Social media going on about now that Luxon has gone AIR have reinstated their pink flight to the Sydney Mardi Gras

Good for shareholders - servicing a cause and a couple of extra full flights

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Social media going on about now that Luxon has gone AIR have reinstated their pink flight to the Sydney Mardi Gras

Good for shareholders - servicing a cause and a couple of extra full flights
    Why was Luxon blocking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Why was Luxon blocking it?
    Okay I've looked in to this... he's an evangelical Christian and is now the National candidate for Botany in Auckland... He wouldn't have bought his religious views to influence his role as a company executive would he...? (/s)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    Okay I've looked in to this... he's an evangelical Christian and is now the National candidate for Botany in Auckland... He wouldn't have bought his religious views to influence his role as a company executive would he...? (/s)
    Why not? Obviously that Qantas CEO does the same with his religious views so I think there can be no escaping that CEO's bring whatever views they have and that influences their role as company exec.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Why not? Obviously that Qantas CEO does the same with his religious views so I think there can be no escaping that CEO's bring whatever views they have and that influences their role as company exec.
    Qantas CEO's "religious" views?