sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Its possible. at 5 min 38 secs on this below.
    Lion Air Indonesia crash
    I guess checking the facts might help. In this case we know the pilot was "properly" qualified:

http://thegoaspotlight.com/lion-air-...dian-national/

he got his pilot training from Bel Air International and had earlier worked with Emirates and later joined the Indonesian carrier Lion Air.
    Bel Air is a Californian pilot training facility - and Emirates (where he flew before) has top quality staff and an impeccable safety record. Actually - might be better than AIR's ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

IMO

Thanks.Just going on the facts i had. Sure is a mystery.
    Scary to think there are some airlines that use systems operators though isn't it.

AIR hire pilots that have been trained the old fashioned way through flight schools using real aircraft...something useful to know when your worried about their skills landing at Wellington is a storm.
    Oil price has dropped considerably and no surprise that the SP has started to recover. I'd like to buy but the aforementioned engine issue isn't anywhere near close to resolution.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Thanks.Just going on the facts i had. Sure is a mystery.
    Scary to think there are some airlines that use systems operators though isn't it.
    There are no facts in that interview to support your take on things. There is no way any airline , low cost included, would knowingly employ unqualified pilots.

Scary to think that you believe it is the norm.

IMO

Maybe turn your hearing aids up777. What is your definition of norm by the way(not norman
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 01-11-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Its possible the plane was flying without qualified pilots.
    More and more cheaper Systems Operators are used, trained to "fly"automated systems, then when given a visual approach dont know what to do. No stick and rudder experience or skills. No experience re what to do in an emergency or when instruments are faulty.
    How can you post this dross?
    Have you any experience of distinguishing between the truth and the first thing that confirms your prejudices?

Meanwhile AIR never got down to a price where I considered it a safe discount to fair value and is now flying a little above it's optimum cruising price.
    om mani peme hum

IMO

Try listening for once ;your instructions, the link i have provided above. You will hear from captain john nance veteran 737 pilot and International recognised air safety advocate and aviation analyst.
    To make it ABC for you about 1 min 20 seconds in. I believe he knows what he is talking about.he cites an example with an Asean crash re 4 years ago in san francisco, the "pilot" was a system operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    How can you post this dross?
    Have you any experience of distinguishing between the truth and the first thing that confirms your prejudices?

Meanwhile AIR never got down to a price where I considered it a safe discount to fair value and is now flying a little above it's optimum cruising price.
    The dog and the cat are on the same page with their thinking on the SP. Some airlines do an awful lot of their training on flight simulators and I for one prefer to have pilots flying aircraft I am on who have been trained predominantly the old fashioned way through flight schools on Cessna's and similar.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Me too but you can see the pressure is on to take shortcuts. 200,000 pilots wanted immediately.
    Global pilot shortage affects NZ | RNZhttps://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/.../global-pilot-shortage-affects-nz

Might I suggest the book QF32 by Richard de Crespigny. QF32 had an uncontained engine failure in 2010 after leaving Singapore. To quote..."QF32 shows exactly what goes into the making of a top-level airline pilot , and the extraordinary skills and training needed to keep us safe in the air."

Chesley Sullenberger (Captain of the plane that ditched in the Hudson River in 2009) tells a similar story of the well-trained crew that understands planes, flying and the process of what to do when the unimaginable and unforseeable happens. It might only happen once every 5 million flights but when it does....

I'm with Beagle - training on real planes counts.