sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Share price on fire today .....hope the market punters are fully trained
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

The September operating stats were pretty staggering

Are they what’s behind the price action or is the tumbling fuel costs?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

Yeah, stick and rudder all the way

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    The September operating stats were pretty staggering

Are they what’s behind the price action or is the tumbling fuel costs?
    I don't know. Would the Commerce Commission decision be a small contributing factor as well?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12152561

Air is paying a gross dividend yield of 11 per cent. Maybe people just like huge returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Might I suggest the book QF32 by Richard de Crespigny. QF32 had an uncontained engine failure in 2010 after leaving Singapore. To quote..."QF32 shows exactly what goes into the making of a top-level airline pilot , and the extraordinary skills and training needed to keep us safe in the air."

Chesley Sullenberger (Captain of the plane that ditched in the Hudson River in 2009) tells a similar story of the well-trained crew that understands planes, flying and the process of what to do when the unimaginable and unforseeable happens. It might only happen once every 5 million flights but when it does....

I'm with Beagle - training on real planes counts.
    Hmm - aren't you contradicting yourself? These events which only happen every 5 million flights can hardly be practised in a real plane? You see - they still do need these planes and we want to use the pilots as well before they had their 5th million flying lesson ;

I do prefer pilots who had extensive simulator training plus a good base of real flying and an up to date health check - and I think that's true for all carriers I flew with so far, though I hear that even some gold plated carriers seem to have from time to time problems with pilots who slipped through the mental health check (might be one of these things).

Even cheap airlines do value their planes and their brand - i.e. they do have a strong motivation to use only well trained pilots.

Implying that AIR has a better safety record than others due to better pilot training is - I think - quite dishonest.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The dog and the cat are on the same page with their thinking on the SP. Some airlines do an awful lot of their training on flight simulators and I for one prefer to have pilots flying aircraft I am on who have been trained predominantly the old fashioned way through flight schools on Cessna's and similar.
    All pilots would be trained this way. Light aircraft first and gradually larger more complex types. Their first simulator training would be when they join an airline. Believe me a simulator is the like the real thing and al lot more training can be achieved in a simulator than can be done safely in an aircraft and a lot more cost effective.

A lot of dribble on this subject being spouted on this thread.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Might I suggest the book QF32 by Richard de Crespigny. QF32 had an uncontained engine failure in 2010 after leaving Singapore. To quote..."QF32 shows exactly what goes into the making of a top-level airline pilot , and the extraordinary skills and training needed to keep us safe in the air."

Chesley Sullenberger (Captain of the plane that ditched in the Hudson River in 2009) tells a similar story of the well-trained crew that understands planes, flying and the process of what to do when the unimaginable and unforseeable happens. It might only happen once every 5 million flights but when it does....

I'm with Beagle - training on real planes counts.

Agreed & you can add what happened to Air France's flight AF 447 Rio Paris in 2009 to that. Talk to any Air NZ or CX (Cathay Pacific) pilot & they will tell you that plane should never have crashed. It got into a stall the auto pilot disengaged & the pilots without sufficient experience or understanding for the situation became overwhelmed & unable to recover control despite having sufficient height & time to do so.
    Air NZ pilots are so well trained having come up through thousands of hours real flying time, then regular retraining on flight simulators they can handle just about anything.
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 01-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Try listening for once ;your instructions, the link i have provided above. You will hear from captain john nance veteran 737 pilot and International recognised air safety advocate and aviation analyst.
    To make it ABC for you about 1 min 20 seconds in. I believe he knows what he is talking about.he cites an example with an Asean crash re 4 years ago in san francisco, the "pilot" was a system operator.
    I listened to the entire thing before making my comment which is why I made it. You latched on to his own opinion/biases on this one item in the entire 'speculation' about the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Me too but you can see the pressure is on to take shortcuts. 200,000 pilots wanted immediately.
    Global pilot shortage affects NZ | RNZhttps://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/.../global-pilot-shortage-affects-nz
    Again you badly misinformed, why not try learning a little on a subject before posting?

There are currently approximately 300,000 commercial pilots world-wide and the need for 70 (or more depending on whose figures you believe) new pilots a day to cope with expansion and replacement of retirees.

The 200,000 would be required over the next six to eight years.

There is a pilot squeeze on and this problem has been known for years but it is only recently that airlines are becoming more proactive about it.

Whilst Qantas & Virgin Oz are now busy setting up pilot training schools etc to provide future pilots for themselves I am not convinced that AIR is doing enough.
    om mani peme hum

Read the book. What happened on QF32 was never envisaged so de Crespigny had to go back to the very basics of flight and logically work it through to what the crippled plane presented him with, which was quite unlike anything else that ahd happened to him in some 30 years of flying (real planes and simulators).

Simulators obviously have their place but I suggest there is nothing quite like the real thing to sharpen the mind.

I don't imply that AirNZ has a better safety record due to better pilot training. I don't think there is any significant difference between any of the worlds tier 1 airlines and their pilots.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I listened to the entire thing before making my comment which is why I made it. You latched on to his own opinion/biases on this one item in the entire 'speculation' about the crash.

Again you badly misinformed, why not try learning a little on a subject before posting?

There are currently approximately 300,000 commercial pilots world-wide and the need for 70 (or more depending on whose figures you believe) new pilots a day to cope with expansion and replacement of retirees.

The 200,000 would be required over the next six to eight years.

There is a pilot squeeze on and this problem has been known for years but it is only recently that airlines are becoming more proactive about it.

Whilst Qantas & Virgin Oz are now busy setting up pilot training schools etc to provide future pilots for themselves I am not convinced that AIR is doing enough.
    Try reading; 200,00 worldwide shortage now