sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Had my first long haul flight with AirNZ to Shanghai the other day. The food was better than average but beside that there was almost nothing differentiating the flight from the next flight 5 hours later with KLM. Both in 777’s, both almost entirely staffed with chinese staff. Both flights had no empty seats, clearly no issues with demand.

in future when going to europe I will be prioritising Singapore airlines with the included 1 night stop over and tourist pass as the price is more or less the same and Changi airport is far better. I will be actively avoiding chinese airports in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I wouldn't have thought 3 goes with 1 and 2.
    Yes true, so the fact they did tells us of quite strong demand , so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they go even higher.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Yes true, so the fact they did tells us of quite strong demand , so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they go even higher.
    Could do mate but I also think the currency is not especially helpful at this level. I think the ongoing problems with RR engines could be materially more ongoing than I previously hoped so I am more cautious. Also their favourable fuel hedge position doesn't run all that far into FY20. I think its just a hold at this level for yield as part of a very well diversified portfolio.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Patient Panda View Post

in future when going to europe I will be prioritising Singapore airlines with the included 1 night stop over and tourist pass as the price is more or less the same and Changi airport is far better. I will be actively avoiding chinese airports in the future.
    My two experiences with Shanghai were not good either. For future trips to Europe it will either be via USA or Singapore. Never again through China.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    My two experiences with Shanghai were not good either. For future trips to Europe it will either be via USA or Singapore. Never again through China.
    Stop over in Shanghai - a great place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Someone on the internet told me air traffic control in China is handled by the military. The ATC system suffers from a lack of primary focus from the generals and is overwhelmed by the growth in flights. They also play favorites with Chinese carriers over clearances. Thus delays for flights over China and unfovourable routing.

The capitalist running dogs and counter-revolutionaries in Taiwan perform better.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I had no issue with a stopover at Shanghai heading home either but I've never seen such a empty airport. The local version of the Koru Lounge was bit strange though and well hidden.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

You guys got go through Changi, Singapore with a good length stopover so you can enjoy the newest bit of the airport: The Jewel.

As another Snow Leopard top tip. Don't buy Rakyat chocolate at Nur-Sultan (Kazakhstan) airport. Buy at a local supermarket before going to the airport: less than half the price.
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    You guys got go through Changi, Singapore with a good length stopover so you can enjoy the newest bit of the airport: The Jewel.

As another Snow Leopard top tip. Don't buy Rakyat chocolate at Nur-Sultan (Kazakhstan) airport. Buy at a local supermarket before going to the airport: less than half the price.
    I think that top tip probably holds true for any product in any city supermarket vs airport !!!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I think that top tip probably holds true for any product in any city supermarket vs airport !!!!
    That's what I was thinking.
    The amount of expensive Toblerone sold at airports is amazing.