sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    One can't be too greedy mate, you're part of a team of over 11,000 people with multiple other unions to consider. If everyone moves purely in line with market forces with no respect or consideration for other team members or shareholders then there would be so much disruption we wouldn't have an airline at all.
    Suppose Bob is on say $180,000 at a guess. He's probably earned that level as he's been with them for so long and is highly experienced and a good reliable hard working team member from what I have heard and is well respected in the community. I doubt many Kiwi's would think $180,000 is nothing and I doubt many would think a 2% pay rise per annum is unreasonable. Here's an idea, why don't you ask some of the incredibly hard working young teachers on $50K what they think ? If you guys play hardball you may find more overhaul work being sent overseas. I'd feel safer when I fly if the work is done here because I know people like Bob are very thorough and have the highest level of integrity but greed is ugly and sometimes has consequences...
    Can't be too greedy or can be??

$150k would be about $75/hr if it was for a 40 hr week. Ask people if they would rather pay $75/hr for a LAME or $300/hr for a lawyer next time they fly?
    It isn't easy to work out 'worth' with jobs.
    I'd be paying teachers with 20 years experiance $100k+ - these people are setting up the future engineers and lawyers on the path to learning and are really invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post

$150k would be about $75/hr if it was for a 40 hr week. Ask people if they would rather pay $75/hr for a LAME or $300/hr for a lawyer next time they fly?
    I'd be paying teachers with 20 years experiance $100k+ - these people are setting up the future engineers and lawyers on the path to learning and are really invaluable.
    Can't be GREEDY...they're part of a team of 11,000 employees who all rely on each other to be fair and reasonable !
    Can't resist instilling some reality into that. First up with 6 weeks annual leave for AIR employees sick leave and public holidays that leaves about 43 productive weeks.
    I seriously doubt you would get anything like 40 productive hours out of a 40 hour working week. Downtime, technical update courses etc..maybe 35 hours x 43 weeks productive (about 1500 hours productive at a rough guess but I would think it would be a lot less) so more like $120 per productive hour. Do they face the daunting prospect of passing six year's of exams before they earn a single dollar ? Do they have the same high overheads as your suburban lawyer on $300 hour or no overheads costs...
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post

A lot of their money is allowances..they still live in a bubble from times past. Market forces hehe.. when it comes to remuneration for the employee... conditions are not often in their favour over a work life. If there is a shortage and they can secure it I don't blame them going for top dollar...the last time I was employed 20 years ago I left my job on 125k. I'm still in wonder today, as an employer, the talent you can get on the market for 120-150k to work for you, and that money is worth a lot less than twenty years ago. Teachers are paid so little today...give them a decent package and pay equity would be sorted, numbers wise in the country

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other...cid=spartandhp
    I think strike action in the circumstances specially targeted at the busiest day of the year for AIR and its customers looking to get to family Christmas gatherings is especially egregious.
    Probably two sides to the story though, see https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12172849 and https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12172945
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-12-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other...cid=spartandhp
    I think strike action in the circumstances specially targeted at the busiest day of the year for AIR and its customers looking to get to family Christmas gatherings is especially egregious and engineers deserve the full contempt of the public for holding them to ransom.
    Probably two sides to the story though, see https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12172849
    Maybe they see Jacinda’s mate Chris a soft touch
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Maybe they see Jacinda’s mate Chris a soft touch
    Usually two sides to the story so I shouldn't be so quick to judge, (bad dog, must work on that character flaw), but strike action on the busiest day of the year for AIR does seem like a carefully calculated and very aggressive approach at face value.

I just can't believe that after all the staff bonuses that have been paid over the years why would anyone want to bite the hand that feeds them.Unless as the hound says there are 2 sides to the story.But the board are not going to be happy chapies when it come's to looking at future bonuses,can you imagine what Sir John would have to say!

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Obviously AIR employ damn good engineers as they will achieve maximum effect for the one strike day.
    Good luck to them.

Meanwhile, if Chris 'million dollar man' Luxon went on strike for a day, would anybody notice (or even care)?
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Obviously AIR employ damn good engineers as they will achieve maximum effect for the one strike day.
    Good luck to them.

Meanwhile, if Chris 'million dollar man' Luxon went on strike for a day, would anybody notice (or even care)?
    That's a bit unfair...not an easy job leading an organisation of over 11,000 people especially when some of them deliberately target their action to cause maximum disruption to the company and the public at large. Hardly negotiating in good faith is it.

That's a bit unfair...not an easy job leading an organisation of over 11,000 people especially when some of them deliberately target their action to cause maximum disruption to the company and the public at large. Hardly negotiating in good faith is it.
    To maximise leverage is different to acting in good faith...AIRs announcement in response was potentially not in good faith.