sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...016/310242.pdf
    Good load factor of nearly 85%, slightly disappointing RASK. Disc: Hold modest position for dividend yield.
    RASK down 1% not that bad when ASK up nearly 5%

The R which really matter up heaps
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

Big announcement from AIR today, canceling its LAX-LHR route and introducing Auckland-New York direct. I am not surprised as AIR has not been competitive in prices across the Atlantic for several years. Great news to get a direct flight to NYC https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12278865

Of the half dozen times I've been direct into LA and out again - last time a couple of weeks ago (twice continued onto London direct and returned the same way) never had a problem with LA airport, no more than any other airport - must have been lucky! Even on domestic US flights have to remove your shoes etc - except if you are under 17 I think it was
    It is a bit quicker, same plane, no long stop overs etc, but do get a break getting off and on again - can be a pain, however obviously not everyone thinks the same.
    In saying all that, I would now not fly any of those long flights all in one go unless I really had to - 12-13 hrs max with a stopover for a day or two, won't have any choice if going to London/Europe from this time next year in any event, so either fly to LA then pick up another flight, of fly east with a stop over in Singapore or the like

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Of the half dozen times I've been direct into LA and out again - last time a couple of weeks ago (twice continued onto London direct and returned the same way) never had a problem with LA airport, no more than any other airport - must have been lucky! Even on domestic US flights have to remove your shoes etc - except if you are under 17 I think it was
    It is a bit quicker, same plane, no long stop overs etc, but do get a break getting off and on again - can be a pain, however obviously not everyone thinks the same.
    In saying all that, I would now not fly any of those long flights all in one go unless I really had to - 12-13 hrs max with a stopover for a day or two, won't have any choice if going to London/Europe from this time next year in any event, so either fly to LA then pick up another flight, of fly east with a stop over in Singapore or the like
    Would say that you've been lucky Jay! I've lost my bag through LAX when transiting, another time been very very very close to missing that London flight transiting through LAX and last time we went through there in May, took my wife and daughter over 3 hours to clear customs. Many people just try to avoid LAX if they can.

I think habits and demand has likely changed. Many people instead of flying to London want to fly into continental European cities, and also have a range of other stopover cities/experiences. AIR just can't match the network of flights and destinations provided for by Singapore or Emirates etc.

Advanced Member

Wonder how much they have sold the LHR 1 landing spot for or if they have leased it out ? Think these prime spots worth something like 20 mio quid.
    Last edited by stoploss; 23-10-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: s/p

More significantly this is AKL-LHR after over 30 years can no longer fly to the mother country on AIR metal. There goes 120 crew and 25 sales jobs out of London.

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    More significantly this is AKL-LHR after over 30 years can no longer fly to the mother country on AIR metal. There goes 120 crew and 25 sales jobs out of London.
    If it was losing money why persevere for the sake of the pride of flying a big bird into Heathrow. The
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

New service flying direct Auckland to New York commences at the same time, (October 2020), 3 times a week. http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/c...s-at-risk.html
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    If it was losing money why persevere for the sake of the pride of flying a big bird into Heathrow. The
    Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs

Guru

Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs
    UK is rapidly becoming less important as a trading partner, and potentially less so after Brexit. Maybe seeing the writing on the wall - and less travelers at the sharp end