sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs
    Agreed. Concentrating on pacific rim destinations makes good common sense.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Wasn't the whole point and justification for flying to Houston about opening up the East coast it the states using Houston as a hub?
    That seems to have been forgotten about now... Hope this new flight actually adds value and doesn't just cannibalise existing routes.
    I imagine there will be no cargo revenue also.. As these 787's will be payload restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Wasn't the whole point and justification for flying to Houston about opening up the East coast it the states using Houston as a hub?
    That seems to have been forgotten about now... Hope this new flight actually adds value and doesn't just cannibalise existing routes.
    I imagine there will be no cargo revenue also.. As these 787's will be payload restricted.
    ...buts it cool flying to the Big Apple

Symbolic
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Would say that you've been lucky Jay! I've lost my bag through LAX when transiting, another time been very very very close to missing that London flight transiting through LAX and last time we went through there in May, took my wife and daughter over 3 hours to clear customs. Many people just try to avoid LAX if they can.

I think habits and demand has likely changed. Many people instead of flying to London want to fly into continental European cities, and also have a range of other stopover cities/experiences. AIR just can't match the network of flights and destinations provided for by Singapore or Emirates etc.
    Agree. Singapore, Emirates & Qatar are top airlines flying out of Auck or Chc. Its so painless transiting in Sing, Dubai or Doha & connections to dozens of European & African destinations.
    LAX just doesn't compare, US transit is primal in contrast.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...buts it cool flying to the Big Apple

Symbolic
    I thought London was Symbolic too???
    Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    I thought London was Symbolic too???
    Oh well...
    Yeah mate ...WAS symbolic

The Big Apple is more cool these days ...and closer

As a passenger there is still nothing quite like the feeling of stepping on board and NZ aircraft at Heathrow to come home ... I will miss that despite maybe trading it for cheaper fares and more routing options perhaps. As an investor, I like my juicy NZ dividends, so if NY is where it is at and the route is more profitable than London then lets go there.
    Last edited by Ottiehund; 23-10-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: corrected

End of an era for sure but no room for sentiment in business. https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/kiwi-...ghts-to-london
    First class cost in 2019 dollars about $57,000 when it started.
    I've seen economy class on a decent airline like Emirates for $1,699 return recently. Times have changed !
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    End of an era for sure but no room for sentiment in business. https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/kiwi-...ghts-to-london
    First class cost in 2019 dollars about $57,000 when it started.
    I've seen economy class on a decent airline like Emirates for $1,699 return recently. Times have changed !
    That $57,000 was $16,000 in money of the day

About $7000/$8000 same trip today

Shows you why so many fly these days and tourism is booming

Mind you only about $1,000 (often less) if you want to rough it

Guru

As I recall, my return flight to London in 1990 was $2400. From memory I flew on the last day of the shoulder season- end of May.