sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

1pm - Air New Zealand says one of its long-serving engineers is among those killed.

Lilik Abdul Hamid, an aircraft maintenance engineer in Christchurch, was in the Deans Avenue Mosque at the time of the attacks.

Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon says the airline is devastated to lose one of its team.

"Lilik has been a valued part of our engineering team in Christchurch for 16 years, but he first got to know the team even earlier when he worked with our aircraft engineers in a previous role overseas," said Luxon.

"The friendships he made at that time led him to apply for a role in Air New Zealand and make the move to Christchurch. His loss will be deeply felt by the team."

He leaves behind wife Nina and children Zhania and Gerin.

"I would also like to acknowledge the many, many other families, including the families of some of our other team members,who have also lost loved ones in this tragedy, and the wider Muslim and Christchurch communities," said Luxon.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    1pm - Air New Zealand says one of its long-serving engineers is among those killed.

Lilik Abdul Hamid, an aircraft maintenance engineer in Christchurch, was in the Deans Avenue Mosque at the time of the attacks.

Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon says the airline is devastated to lose one of its team.

"Lilik has been a valued part of our engineering team in Christchurch for 16 years, but he first got to know the team even earlier when he worked with our aircraft engineers in a previous role overseas," said Luxon.

"The friendships he made at that time led him to apply for a role in Air New Zealand and make the move to Christchurch. His loss will be deeply felt by the team."

He leaves behind wife Nina and children Zhania and Gerin.

"I would also like to acknowledge the many, many other families, including the families of some of our other team members,who have also lost loved ones in this tragedy, and the wider Muslim and Christchurch communities," said Luxon.
    One would trust they would not use this to soften their mis-step earlier in the weekend. Well one Engineer suggested it to me however I would never be that cynical.

Many people don't understand that AIR are continuously and automatically running a very sophisticated software system that is constantly looking to maximise the revenue from each and every flight.
    Its not human intervention that caused the system to be seeking much higher fares it was human intervention / override that needed to be taken to take account of unprecedented circumstances.
    Compassionate fares and their policy are there on their website https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/compassionate-fares for all to find but I agree that in these circumstances they should have made concessions earlier. That said I did note on the very day of the massacre they almost immediately said anyone needing to make changes to existing travel plans could do so free of charge.
    Beat up on the National airline...look frankly I think there are more important issues to talk about here https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...15-March-2019)
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Beat them up for putting their software ahead of humanity. They need a very big serving here .

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Beat them up for putting their software ahead of humanity. They need a very big serving here .
    What about Jetstar?

Anyone know what they have been up to?

And other transport companies like coaches, ferries, taxis etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Settle down JT. They set these programs up years ago and got on to overriding them as soon as it became problematic in these exceptional circumstances.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Settle down JT. They set these programs up years ago and got on to overriding them as soon as it became problematic in these exceptional circumstances.
    "problematic" being the Finance Minister calling them to give them a serve. Sorry Beagle, we agree to disagree. AIR should have been onto this immediately. They know how their systems work and should have known immediately a human override was necessary. I don't care what Jetstar or other transport companies did, they are not owned by the NZ Government like our national carrier. You may defend it and call it a beat up on the national carrier. I suspect many disagree with you on that. I certainly do.

Dilettante

But full credit to AIR for eventually coming to the table and doing what we expect of them in circumstances like this. Credit where credit is due

Guru

Beating up the national carrier has always been a national pastime.

And the Crown only owns slightly more than half.

They should have droped the price without direction . Good on Robertson for doing it