sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesekiwi View Post
    If you wish to want to see cost cuts - then I can suggest middle to higher management levels. There are large numbers of folks at the head office with titles with the word manager in it (and the salary package to go with said title) and yet they have no direct reports.

There is money on the table - in the head office.
    Agree. In the digital team alone four significant restructures and three exec level managers in the last six years alone. With every restructure comes a change of title and an increase in the number of managers along with increased inertia driven by fear of the next restructure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesekiwi View Post
    Hmmm Beagle, I will respectfully disagree re the Union part of your comments.

The settlement rates have been not that far off inflation and have been progressively more parsimonious.

Air NZ has a responsible union it deals with and negotiations have been tough but fair over the past few annual rounds.

Unions have proven good for workers at the company and the company itself has expressed satisfaction with outcomes jointly negotiated.

If you wish to want to see cost cuts - then I can suggest middle to higher management levels. There are large numbers of folks at the head office with titles with the word manager in it (and the salary package to go with said title) and yet they have no direct reports.

There is money on the table - in the head office.
    The company is full of Troughers for sure and they have really cranked up their prices on domestic routes of late compared to a year ago.

Greg Foran will bring a tight focus on cost, something that's badly needed at AIR. Be extremely rigorous and thorough would be my advice to him.
    Herald reported recently in his first 100 days he plans to meet with 1200 managers and senior staff within the airline.
    I think the number 1200 is half the problem...
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-01-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Christopher Luxon has been cutting costs for the last 7 or so years. It’s not like someone has just forgotten to do this. Ask any flight attendant and you won’t hear the end of it I’m told.

Unstable oil prices, no real growth (in fact deferred orders of A/C), no real scope for big growth moves (NY and maybe somewhere else I’m guessing) Flight crew are paid on the balance of it less than other comparative airlines. Much more competition Internationally, less domestically. No real fleet expansion on the horizon.

The only thing I see that is attractive is the dividend return and I’m not a full legend, but I’m pretty sure that if I were a Baby Boomer selling up my property, that the dividend would look mighty fine in a pretty secure investment like this.

just my two cents folks, no digs or otherwise.

22 cps in annual fully dividends = 22 / 0.78 = 30.56 cps gross = 10% gross yield at $3.05.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...at-1720-return

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...are-their-tips
    Shane Jones is most certainly NOT an industry expert.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-01-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

At current prices, AIR yield is very nearly on a par with HLG.

HLG: 44 cps divies, SP = $6.01

(Although for the past few days the share action on HLG has been weird - I assume some sort of bot action?)

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...are-their-tips
    Shane Jones is most certainly NOT an industry expert.
    Would seem that the aviation consultant and former AIR executive is not much of an expert either!
    om mani peme hum

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post

(Although for the past few days the share action on HLG has been weird - I assume some sort of bot action?)
    The one that doesnt fly is the better stock to own.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post

Interestingly both are long established companies. Air in it's 78th or is it 79th year and some history on HLG from their website

PHP Code:
    Hallenstein Glasson Holdings Limited is a retailer of menswear and womenswearlisted on the New Zealand Stock Exchange.
    The company operates in excess of 120 storeswith 35 stores in Australia.
    Hallenstein Glasson Holdings Limited was formed in 1985 on the merger of Hallenstein Brothers an iconic menswear retailer first established in 1873, and Glassons a fast fashion retailer founded in the early 1900's.
    Hallenstein Glasson is recognised as New Zealand'
    s leading specialty retailer, and is now making an impact in the Australian market
    For what its worth I have exactly the same number of shares in each company.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-01-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Sounds like their are more questions about Boeing's safety standards and trustworthiness. Here is another example from them for burying the truth after an accident:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/b...-accidents.htm

You sort of wonder whether AIR's decision to go for Boeing in their latest big acquisition spree was a good one.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)