sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    So Boing didn't
    "Boeing will launch a mega business jet that can fly more than half way around the world without stopping, further than any business jet ever built."
    And a BBJ-777x as a shell (without fitout) is no different from a standard 777x (no bigger tanks or anything).
    Smoke and mirrors.
    Who cares ? All anyone wants to talk about is the strike action by engineers that was originally deliberately targeted at AIR's busiest day of the year December 21 when 42,000 travellers were trying to get to see their families at Christmas but has now even more heinously and reprehensibly been extended to cover the following two days 22 and 23 December. This union is holding over 100,000 travellers hostage for their own ends. This is the most heinously timed industrial action I can ever recall. I hope AIR take extremely serious action against staff involved in this if this goes ahead.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12173926
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-12-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    The only thing that makes it a "business jet" is the fit-out. Boeing doesn't even supply that, it's an empty shell out of the factory. You keep saying that "as a business jet it is kitted out as a luxury configuration" - no it's not. Seats and modules come from suppliers like Zodiac, or that evil company that wants to pack humans into standing chairs on planes.

There is no "business jet version" - it's all in the options the airline buys.
    I am not disputing that. I am saying that in a full fit out by an airline for passengers and bags it will not get half way around the world. It could just not carry the required fuel.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Who cares ?
    You did - you mentioned that they'd be flying direct to London.

Who cares ? All anyone wants to talk about is the strike action by engineers that was originally deliberately targeted at AIR's busiest day of the year December 21 when 42,000 travellers were trying to get to see their families at Christmas but has now even more heinously and reprehensibly been extended to cover the following two days 22 and 23 December. This union is holding over 100,000 travellers hostage for their own ends. This is the most heinously timed industrial action I can ever recall. I hope AIR take extremely serious action against staff involved in this if this goes ahead.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12173926
    Agree full heartedly. Even if there are three versions to every story ... this is clearly a communication and PR desaster for the union. I guess they don't even seem to have any "feel good" reason they can sell the public for spoiling holidays and family reunions for 100's of thousands of Kiwis.

Looks to me like like plain blackmail. Must be time to take next time a carrier with less greedy and selfish enginieering staff.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Agree full heartedly. Even if there are three versions to every story ... this is clearly a communication and PR desaster for the union. I guess they don't even seem to have any "feel good" reason they can sell the public for spoiling holidays and family reunions for 100's of thousands of Kiwis.

Looks to me like like plain blackmail. Must be time to take next time a carrier with less greedy and selfish enginieering staff.
    Blackmail is exactly what it is and they are not only blackmailing the airline but also blackmailing the public. Lock them out and then hopefully they will picket non unionised engineers and I will be the first to throw rotten tomatoes and eggs at the picket line. "E tū's head of aviation, who goes by the name Savage" The name says it all. Its time to hit the afterburner and burn off some of these ungrateful ****s.
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-12-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Do Jetstar ever have strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Do Jetstar ever have strikes?
    Ask Jayne Herdlicker.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

A touch over dramatic, if your going to strike you strike for maximum impact, everyone wants it not to touch them otherwise people don't care. If there was some decent industrial relations and trust between the parties it would not be required, simple. I have a good friend who is an engineer with AIR who would prefer not to strike however the way management has dealt with this group since the Rob Fyfe days makes it simple to understand why they have no trust in each other. AIRs management are paid the big bucks and as a shareholder I expect them to resolve it.
    Last edited by Raz; 12-12-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    A touch over dramatic, if your going to strike you strike for maximum impact, everyone wants it not to touch them otherwise people don't care. If there was some decent industrial relations and trust between the parties it would not be required, simple. I have a good friend who is an engineer with AIR who would prefer not to strike however the way management has dealt with this group since the Rob Fife days makes it simple to understand why they have no trust in each other. AIRs management are paid the big bucks and as a shareholder I expect them to resolve it.
    AIR has about 11,000 employees and their wages bill is headed to $1.3b. That's getting on towards $120,000 per employee on average. No wonder they're N.Z. favourite employer. Your mate and his mates are jeopardizing the livelihoods of other employees, holding about 100,000 travellers and their families to ransom and affecting the reputation of the airline and potentially hurting shareholders pockets too. Blackmail is exactly what it is and it's heinously timed and reprehensible. Engineers should expect a backlash from the public and the company if this strike action goes ahead.

AIR has about 11,000 employees and their wages bill is headed to $1.3b. That's getting on towards $120,000 per employee on average. No wonder they're N.Z. favourite employer. Your mate and his mates are jeopardizing the livelihoods of other employees, holding about 100,000 travellers and their families to ransom and affecting the reputation of the airline and potentially hurting shareholders pockets too. Blackmail is exactly what it is and it's heinously timed and reprehensible. Engineers should expect a backlash from the public and the company if this strike action goes ahead.
    For a numbers man perhaps you should go into PR 120k per employee is just showing some are very well paid..far from all. A lot of two tier contra contracts within the worker bees. I'm just asking the well paid to do their job How are they jeopardizing the livelihood of others employees...AIR will be here, given their near monopoly position in NZ for the seeable. They cannot blackmail the NZ public.. they can only leverage AIRs management..which AIRs management are happy to do in return constantly like any corporate, until it comes back and bites them

I actually do have tickets over this period and it sounds like your whole years holiday riding on this
    Last edited by Raz; 12-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.