sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    A touch over dramatic, if your going to strike you strike for maximum impact, everyone wants it not to touch them otherwise people don't care. If there was some decent industrial relations and trust between the parties it would not be required, simple. I have a good friend who is an engineer with AIR who would prefer not to strike however the way management has dealt with this group since the Rob Fife days makes it simple to understand why they have no trust in each other. AIRs management are paid the big bucks and as a shareholder I expect them to resolve it.
    A touch condescending ;

But yes - absolutely - its up to AIR management to resolve it. Haven't yet seen many examples where hostile industrial relations did help to boost a companies performance, but I remember a number of examples where unions brought a company to its knees. It is afterwards typically the workers (all of them, not just the unionised bullys) who pay the price with loosing their jobs, not the much loathed management.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

For a numbers man perhaps you should go into PR .
    Are you offering me a job ...I hear BMW needs a good PR person to remind people how good their vehicles are I have vented my spleen. Lets see how this plays out.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

There’s a guy on twitter who reckons that Air negotiators haven’t been turning up for some pre-arranged meetings with the union .......and that pisses the union off

Anyway Jacinda will sort it out ...no strikes she promised .....but this could be a case of no government shareholder interference into operational issues
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Who cares ? All anyone wants to talk about is the strike action by engineers that was originally deliberately targeted at AIR's busiest day of the year December 21 when 42,000 travellers were trying to get to see their families at Christmas but has now even more heinously and reprehensibly been extended to cover the following two days 22 and 23 December. This union is holding over 100,000 travellers hostage for their own ends. This is the most heinously timed industrial action I can ever recall. I hope AIR take extremely serious action against staff involved in this if this goes ahead.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12173926
    I've said it before - I think the union is making a mistake not trying to do something to garner public support for their cause. If they do strike, all Luxon need do is replicate what Joyce did when QAN crews went on strike - lock them out and ground the fleet. It will lose the airline millions but it will force Government intervention. And the Government will have little choice but to come down on whatever side has popular support - in QAN's case, the regulator simply threw out all the union's key demands after ordering the strike and lockout to cease. In the AIR case, I can't see it ending up very different, as the sales pitch to the public so far by E Tu is atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    I've said it before - I think the union is making a mistake not trying to do something to garner public support for their cause. If they do strike, all Luxon need do is replicate what Joyce did when QAN crews went on strike - lock them out and ground the fleet. It will lose the airline millions but it will force Government intervention. And the Government will have little choice but to come down on whatever side has popular support - in QAN's case, the regulator simply threw out all the union's key demands after ordering the strike and lockout to cease. In the AIR case, I can't see it ending up very different, as the sales pitch to the public so far by E Tu is atrocious.
    I would tend to agree however i do wonder how close in E TU to the current Government?

I would tend to agree however i do wonder how close in E TU to the current Government?
    Ask Shane Jones, he might know if he's not too busy throwing millions around on his pet projects like Santa Claus throwing around lollies in a lolly scramble.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Interesting chart pattern on Air at the moment, is it going to breakout upwards or downwards? I can't tell just yet, anyone else want to take a guess?
    Interesting?
    You hardly ever see a barrel roll in an airline share price chart.

Meanwhile independently of the discussion of whether they buy a Boeing Business Jet for senior management to circle the globe in whilst repressing the work-force, the share price is doing remarkably well all things considered.

Hope the strikes do not happen and the engineers get a good deal.
    om mani peme hum

A touch over dramatic, if your going to strike you strike for maximum impact, everyone wants it not to touch them otherwise people don't care. If there was some decent industrial relations and trust between the parties it would not be required, simple. I have a good friend who is an engineer with AIR who would prefer not to strike however the way management has dealt with this group since the Rob Fyfe days makes it simple to understand why they have no trust in each other. AIRs management are paid the big bucks and as a shareholder I expect them to resolve it.
    Your good friend can't be the Prime Minister then. Shes has said, of Air NZ "where, through their framework of working collectively with their employees, they have improved productivity, … health and safety, and they have a high-performance workplace."

Good old Jacinda telling both sides to sort it quickly.

Strike off
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

So the unions ploy worked - agreement in principle.
    Strike off.
    Everyone back in their boxes and let the airline earn.