sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Virgin, inedible meals, no in-flight entertainment unless you BYO = a poor experience.
    Most of today's travelers simply don't care about that. They want to get from A to B as cheap as possible. Basically a bus service.

Banned

Air NZ in code share with Qantas equals less for Virgin even though it's only on domestic routes.
    Last edited by couta1; 15-07-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Most of today's travelers simply don't care about that. They want to get from A to B as cheap as possible. Basically a bus service.

And why wouldn’t you? When I can plop into my seat with my ipad which seems to have about double the resolution of the backseat screen on the plane alreay loaded with all my favourite stuff.

virgin will be killed because of their extremely weak brand presence here.

pretty much the only time its worth paying more for ‘quality’ for me is when flying to europe in which I’m more than happy to pay $200 more for singapore airlines as they’re my favourite

Looking forward to Tiger air coming here soon and hopefully someday Air Asia too.

disc; airline user not shareholder.

Okay I will make the case why a proper airline is worth more. Quite obviously people do want edible meals on long haul flights. Then there's the caliber of the inflight "service" Read this and consider this https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...cid=spartandhp
    Suppose you were on that flight and for 15 minutes there's no announcement from the cabin crew, no reassurance that things are going to be okay, no explanation of why the aircraft has been put into a steep dive. You're bleeding profusely from your earns and nose, and so are your kids...what are you supposed to think other than the obvious that this could well be the end ? What are you supposed to tell your kids ? How do you reassure them and stop them from panicking ? All you get fropm the flight deck and flight crew is a big fat nothing. Oh wait.... emergency, emergency...you don't say ! (sarcasm intended)

I don't know what AIR's standard procedure is but I would imagine some announcement would have been made along the lines of "ladies and gentlemen, we have lost cabin pressure and are following standard procedure to quickly reduce altitude, please ensure your face masks are fitted tightly and then ensure your children's facemasks e.t.c…..there is nothing to worry about, the engines are going fine and we are diverting to the nearest airport" something like that means a LOT to traumatized really scared people.

Rynair go on to apologize for any inconvenience…..they really don't get it that apart for the 30 something people with injuries there's probably another 100 + who are seriously traumatized and thought they were going to die and that traumatization was severely exacerbated by really poor in flight customer service in terms of not reassuring passengers properly.

Airlines are all ostensibly flying similar metal, its about how well passengers are looked after, that's the difference. Is it worth paying more for a well known quality airline ?....Is it worth more paying for a quality hotel when you get there rather than some cockroach infested fleapit ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-07-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

And yet when things go wrong for Air New Zealand we read of 'abandoned' passengers:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...orm-hits-tokyo.

Glibly imagining that AIR are going to send some kid around with the lollies whilst in the middle of an emergency descent is living in La La Land.

I have travelled with many more airlines than most people. I have been treated badly by 'proper' airlines and excellently by 'cheap' airlines and vice-versa.

Happy Flying
    om mani peme hum

Wonder how paper tiger airlines performs in their emergency descent's ? probably reinvent themselves as someone else..lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-07-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Wonder how paper tiger airlines performs in their emergency descent's ? probably reinvent themselves as someone else..lol
    Roger that.
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Roger that.

Welcome back...I kind of missed sparring paws with you. Brilliant service standards on another cut price carrier leading to more traumatized passengers.
    https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...cid=spartandhp I would think that would be a firing offence on an AIR aircraft. Wonder how the top brass would discipline that Air China Pilot ? We bus ticket slap on the paw PT ? Note the reasonably lengthy incarceration of a British Airways pilot...an indication that for want of a better description "traditional" carriers take these sort of issues more seriously ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Roger that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_mani_padme_hum

Fascinating Sharetrader takes one to all sorts of places.

Air NZ is 7% of my portfolio. Would love to buy more but I'll leave it at that I think.

Counted up the different airlines i've flown in the last couple of years, over 20, chosen purely on price.

Although I do have to admire those that invest and only swear by flying airnz, you're helping generate your own returns. I guess when you're only flying economy its not a big deal who you fly with. My last trip to London was via Taipei for less than half the price of Air NZ on China Airlines flying a literally brand new a350 and i couldnt fault the service at all.