sharetrader
Page 205 of 2018 FirstFirst ... 1051551952012022032042052062072082092152553057051205 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 20178

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

At least they muddied the waters with multiple possible destinations this time! The public knew about the YVR route about a year before it was confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    At least they muddied the waters with multiple possible destinations this time! The public knew about the YVR route about a year before it was confirmed.
    My confident prediction is it will be GRU - Sao Paulo Brazil staring 3x weekly in September 2015.

This route is viable now with the Singapore alliance, and with Avianca Brazil set to join Star mid 2015. The 787 is configured well for the leisure heavy traffic expected.

Future US routes are not needed urgently, but i do expect Houston to be announced sometime next year.

In other news the jet fuel price has moved down back to a $16 spread to Brent. It's now near $80 bbl... This puts my $100 USD bbl and 45-50c eps next year scenario into play, should things stay as they are. A couple of brokers have increased price targets after their economists decreased their oil price expectations. Several now have $2.80 targets, but they are still being too conservative on both revenue and fuel costs. Most are expecting brent to return to $80 by mid-late next year. I wouldn't even attempt to predict.

Somewhat teasingly Qantas has rallied hugely, on improving yields in Australia. This bodes well for VAH to return to profit and contribute to Air NZ's profits (could even do so this year!)

The stock is looking very compelling right now, so fingers crossed fuel stays down and positive trends continue.

mod
    Last edited by modandm; 11-12-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Dilettante

I hope you are right. The CEO is on record in recent days saying South America is noticably missing from the AIR map. LAN as the only carrier between NZ and SA desperately needs competition with their constantly full planes, average service and high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by modandm View Post
    My confident prediction is it will be GRU - Sao Paulo Brazil staring 3x weekly in September 2015.

This route is viable now with the Singapore alliance, and with Avianca Brazil set to join Star mid 2015. The 787 is configured well for the leisure heavy traffic expected.

Future US routes are not needed urgently, but i do expect Houston to be announced sometime next

mod

but i do expect Houston to be announced sometime next year.

mod
    Any reason you'd pick Houston over chicago?

I'd have thought the recent All Blacks tour to Chicago where AirNZ threw some extra flights on to be a good indicator of what they were trialing.

El Toro~

Chicago is the most logical choice IMHO

Future US routes are not needed urgently, but i do expect Houston to be announced sometime next year.

In other news the jet fuel price has moved down back to a $16 spread to Brent. It's now near $80 bbl... This puts my $100 USD bbl and 45-50c eps next year scenario into play, should things stay as they are. A couple of brokers have increased price targets after their economists decreased their oil price expectations. Several now have $2.80 targets, but they are still being too conservative on both revenue and fuel costs. Most are expecting brent to return to $80 by mid-late next year. I wouldn't even attempt to predict.
    Somewhat teasingly Qantas has rallied hugely, on improving yields in Australia. This bodes well for VAH to return to profit and contribute to Air NZ's profits (could even do so this year!)

The stock is looking very compelling right now, so fingers crossed fuel stays down and positive trends continue.

mod
    Good post. Brent crude futures for Dec 2015, (half way point of Air's 2016 year now under $70)
    https://www.tradingfloor.com/futures/lcoz5
    Perhaps you could input that into your model for 2016 and update us. I agree and see deep value in AIR notwithstanding its recent strong run.
    Cheers.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GuessX View Post
    Any reason you'd pick Houston over chicago?

I'd have thought the recent All Blacks tour to Chicago where AirNZ threw some extra flights on to be a good indicator of what they were trialing.
    They only operated to Chicago because that was where the game was to be played.

Yes KW and what did I tell ya ? Extract
    The airlines will still be making more money. They forecast record net profit of $25 billion (NZ$32.43) next year - well above the $19.9 billion this year, the US$10.6 billion in 2013 and US$6.1 billion in 2012.

Monthly operating stat's give a breakdown of the various regions for the month and YTD with comparisons to previous year if you want to do some research.

To answer KW's valid point.

1. Given the weakness in NZD USD, even if prices are flat in USD, yield will be up in NZD. To china tickets can't get much cheaper anyway

2. Air faces limited competition and doesn't need to lower prices. This is why its one of the best in the world. You can bet Qantas won't be dropping prices, and jetstar NZ is only at breakeven today so why would they. What routes have competition, next to zero. Of course they will say that they are, and even if they did 1-2% would be of no consequence given the fall in costs.

3. If price falls quantity demand rises - therefore a yield decline is likely to be more than offset by a volume increase taking total revenue higher.

4. If supernormal profits are being made (as I expect to be) then yes competition will be attracted, but for the small market of NZ that will take years to eventuate. On the highly competive routes like New-York London that might take weeks or months...

Your concern is well grounded, but its not an issue to worry about yet.

P:S - something like 80% of trans tasman traffic is Kiwi, and prob even higher on Air NZ flights... I don't worry about the ozzie consumer.
    Last edited by modandm; 11-12-2014 at 10:30 AM.