sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Ironic one of the biggest contributors to climate change now faces the challenges from the consequence of it......
    Nothing to do with climate change, just the opposite. This summer's La Nina has reduced the normal easterly influence at the equator resulting in COOLER global temperatures. That same change in circulation patterns has moved warmer waters south west to the Tasman Sea and provided a track for tropical cyclones to approach NZ. Under the climate change scenario we should see more El Ninos with warmer equatorial waters and cooler sea surface temperatures in the Tasman moving the tropical cyclone tracks to the east of NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Nothing to do with climate change, just the opposite. This summer's La Nina has reduced the normal easterly influence at the equator resulting in COOLER global temperatures. That same change in circulation patterns has moved warmer waters south west to the Tasman Sea and provided a track for tropical cyclones to approach NZ. Under the climate change scenario we should see more El Ninos with warmer equatorial waters and cooler sea surface temperatures in the Tasman moving the tropical cyclone tracks to the east of NZ.
    Some researchers say that La Niña events could happen more often (twice as often has been mentioned) because of climate change / global warming.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

I wonder what caused global warming to get us out of the ice age? Must have been all those camp fires. Mind you I don't really know when fire was discovered.

Must get back to the ATM thread where all those farting cows are making me heaps.
    Last edited by 777; 21-02-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Missed by that much

Some researchers say that La Niña events could happen more often (twice as often has been mentioned) because of climate change / global warming.
    All the papers I have read on the subject say it is El Nino events that will occur twice as often. El Nino is associated with warming in equatorial regions and La Nina with cooling

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

There is an awful lot of "self-help" in AIR's result today...really good to see. Fuel cost increase well and truly offset by revenue improvements, really the only difference between last year and this year is the Virgin AU result.
    Looks like a really good set of numbers to me at first blush...

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yep not bad! On track for possibly their second best full year result.
    Direct service up to 5 times a week to Taipei from this November was a bit of a surprise. All the talk has been on Obama coming to help launch flights to Chicago

I gave up reading the presentation after looking at Page 5 titled A high quality result after adjusting for prior 2018 INTERIM RESULT period gain and impact of fuel price

Touted a 27% increase in earnings before tax

I can allow ‘adjusting’ for the $22m gain on sale of Virgin but taking the $72m of extra fuel costs out of the equation to paint a better picture and tout a 27% increase in earnings is just plain inexcusable. Surely fuel is a day to day cost of doing business.

Most blatant piece of misrepresenting profits i’ve Come across - inexcusable and very disappointing

Don’t want to read the rest but will sometime ....probably a whole lot of other embellishments as well.

For the record with fuel costs included earnings before tax were down $4m on last year.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Bit harsh winner. They're trying to tell the story of how they've offset fuel cost increases; they're not trying to excuse it. Hence my comment on "self-help".

I gave up reading the presentation after looking at Page 5 titled A high quality result after adjusting for prior 2018 INTERIM RESULT period gain and impact of fuel price

Touted a 27% increase in earnings before tax

I can allow ‘adjusting’ for the $22m gain on sale of Virgin but taking the $72m of extra fuel costs out of the equation to paint a better picture and tout a 27% increase in earnings is just plain inexcusable. Surely fuel is a day to day cost of doing business.

Most blatant piece of misrepresenting profits i’ve Come across - inexcusable and very disappointing

Don’t want to read the rest but will sometime ....probably a whole lot of other embellishments as well.

For the record with fuel costs included earnings before tax were down $4m on last year.
    It was pretty creative but I guess they're just trying to highlight the underlying profit without the fuel price increase.
    That said as Chris Luxon has often commented yield and fuel cost are linked so yields are up 2.5% excl FX changes which on 2.3b of pax revenue is just under $60m in revenue gain which more or less offsets the extra fuel costs so yes it was a little creative but not to the point of offence to me that you suggest mate.

Got to hand it to them though, they've coped well with the various external challenges thrust upon them, like the fuel supply crisis and the Rolls Royce engine issue.
    Outlook for the year of still having profit growth despite higher fuel costs is better than I expected.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine