sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Beg to differ on this one Beagle..

Are you saying that all airlines should abandon routes they have lost passengers on ??

Or at the very least, any mention of them..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Mount_Everest
    Far less expense to make a fabulous video showcasing our spectacular Fiordland, (a place passengers on AIR's services can easily access through travel connections at Queenstown). Three obvious benefits.
    It actually promotes a destination in N.Z. not part of the world very few people will ever access in Antarctica.
    Significantly lower costs through vastly easier logistics.
    You don't trample on the sensitive feelings thousands of relatives and friends have about what happened at Erebus.
    Who can forget Justice Mahon's haunting summary "An orchestrated litany of lies"
    Summing up, some things are best consigned to the annuals of history and its best not to stir things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Expect more environmental stuff coming out in the future too.... Remember the amount of fuel they have already saved with their fleet of highly expensive electric vehicles...
    70,000 liters of fuel, less than what's required to fill one Dreamliner once for one long distance flight. "Awesome" isn't it !

I think a certain someone is getting a little carried away with himself in his environmental crusade and stepping on more than a few toes in the process.
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

70,000 liters of fuel, less than what's required to fill one Dreamliner once for one long distance flight. "Awesome" isn't it !

I think a certain someone is getting a little carried away with himself in his environmental crusade and stepping on more than a few toes in the process.
    I suppose AIRs greenwashing gives a few the warm fuzzies but the majority won’t be fooled.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I suppose AIRs greenwashing gives a few the warm fuzzies but the majority won’t be fooled.
    I really think that the greenwashing going in general will ramp up with our friends in power now which is laughable considering what industry we are talking about here.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Far less expense to make a fabulous video showcasing our spectacular Fiordland, (a place passengers on AIR's services can easily access through travel connections at Queenstown). Three obvious benefits.
    It actually promotes a destination in N.Z. not part of the world very few people will ever access in Antarctica.
    Significantly lower costs through vastly easier logistics.
    You don't trample on the sensitive feelings thousands of relatives and friends have about what happened at Erebus.
    Who can forget Justice Mahon's haunting summary "An orchestrated litany of lies"
    Summing up, some things are best consigned to the annuals of history and its best not to stir things up..
    You missed my point. It is not about where or how much the advert cost.. It is about why should AIR not use the Antarctic as a back drop..
    Airlines do not leave routes because they have had an accident.. Yes I agree it does have sensitive feelings for some.
    However there were 554 road deaths that year, more than double the number at Erebus..
    " very few people will ever access in Antarctica. "
    There are more than 8 Luxury Cruise Ships servicing Antarctic as well as flights from Aussie. You would be surprised at how many people, are working or visiting in that area. My own experience Summer Season 1957 - 1958 With the Fuchs group..

Could this advert be just a toe testing the water for a return to the lucrative route. Visit NZ and Antarctica !!!!!

Have to agree to disagree on this one janner. Whilst you make a valid point about the modest number of people visiting Antarctica consider that of the millions of people that visit N.Z. perhaps something like one million visit Fiordland or at least well over one million could easily access it from their trip to Queenstown.
    This number could be expanded considerably, (i.e. there is a valid present and real reason to promote Fiordland) and as such this represents a commercial promotion not just a lot of environmental greenwashing and they're not stepping on thousands of people's toes doing it.

Riding snowmobiles for fun and burning hydrocarbons in Antarctica isn't a good look in that video, sort of scoring an own goal on the environmental message in my opinion.

Chris Luxon needs a serious reality check. Fact AIR's estimated fuel consumption off their latest fuel hedge disclosure for 1H FY19 is 4,800,000 barrels of fuel. If that continues to 2H FY19 they will burn 1,526,400,000 liters of jet fuel in FY19. (No that figure is not a typo, over 1.5 billion liters of jet fuel !).
    No amount of greenwashing can disguise the fact that all airlines are HUGE polluters.
    AIR should stick to messaging that they have a young relatively fuel efficient fleet, that makes FAR more difference than anything else they can or will do.

As for resuming flights over Antarctica...you must be kidding surely ! I don't think the N.Z. public would ever have the stomach for that.
    P.S. The number of people that died climbing Everest or who died on the roads that year is completely irrelevant.

Just let sleeping wolves lie otherwise AIR will get bitten.
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-03-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Yep have to agree with you Mr B on that one... They should stay well away... I am reasonably confident that they will..
    Think there are plenty other places in the pipeline before Antarctica gets a look in...
    Hmmm.. Not long now until Obama is in town...

Now at cruising altitude, and after shedding an 11 cent divvy not expecting much for a while from this bird. Sound long term hold for divvy income though.

Jeez beagle did you say AIR use 1.5 billion litres of fuel a year .....that’s a heck a lot of emissions eh

....but then they apparently don’t use 70,000 litres of fuel by having these electric vehicles

What I have just learned is that most of the EVs are expensive BMWs used by the sales force....all 36 of them

Good thing though is the Beamers contain the the same carbon fibre as in Dreamliners ...that’s pretty cool ...for an ego trip
    Last edited by winner69; 19-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Yes 1.5 - 1.6 billion liters burned in the upper atmosphere where they do most damage to the Ozone layer is a LOT isn't it ! Some people at AIR on a guilt trip ?
    Add back in the CO2 emissions used making that fancy carbon fiber for those EV's and the batteries therein, the coal burned to make the electricity seeing as the grid has been running at close to its maximum capabilities at times for those electric vehicles, the thousands of liters of fuel to transport people to the Antarctic not to forget a few hundred liters more fuel so they can play on the snow in their snowmobiles and they're like a cat chasing its own tail with their environmental claims aren't they ?

At least they're running a fleet of relatively modern fuel efficient planes...that probably does save something meaningful, maybe 6% or about 100 million liters and without all the creative environmental stuff either...

Might have to fly Jetheap to the SUM annual meeting this year...not sure I can stand to watch that video twice in one day and according to Bob Jones they get a bit upset when you don't pay attention to the "safety" video
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-03-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Must be good sales reps if they get big beamers to joy around in. Are they sign written?

Don’t know what AIR sales rep actually does but a Suzuki Swift sounds good enough.

But if it’s about turning up at AIR sponsored events maybe a Beamer is the thing.

Does seem an extravagance though.