sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

That's what concerns me Benny1. RR might discount the price heaps in the circumstances but what does it cost the airline in the long run ? If RR can't get the compressor blades in the new ten version to be highly durable what's the point of the company effectively buying itself more problems down the track ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    That's what concerns me Benny1. RR might discount the price heaps in the circumstances but what does it cost the airline in the long run ? If RR can't get the compressor blades in the new ten version to be highly durable what's the point of the company effectively buying itself more problems down the track ?
    Probably nothing stopping them buying more problems down the track..however it always comes down to who is doing the best deal at the time.
    Can't see them getting A350's as this will come with significant training requirements for crew e.t.c and the 777-X is yet to enter service so who knows what sort of potential costly issues will come with this aircraft.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Probably nothing stopping them buying more problems down the track..however it always comes down to who is doing the best deal at the time.
    I'm sure they look at total cost of ownership rather than just the 'price' at the time.

Dilettante

Those A350's have a very scary asking price. Might just pay to keep the old 777-200's going for another 5 years or so. Heck when they deferred $750m of capex the SP has gone up 25 cents since then so by simple extrapolation if they deferred 8 x say $250m aircraft ($2B) the share price would go up by another 67 cents per share lol
    Here is hoping Beagle. I'd be very happy to continue travelling on these reliable & safe workhorses on my travels

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Here is hoping Beagle. I'd be very happy to continue travelling on these reliable & safe workhorses on my travels
    Keeping them for longer would give Benny1 and his colleagues heaps more work so that's good.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Keeping them for longer would give Benny1 and his colleagues heaps more work so that's good.
    Truth be known....the 787's provide a fair bit themselves! Way more than they ever forecast..
    Wouldn't mind them keeping the 777-200 for longer I think they are a much better suited aircraft for Air NZ.
    To really get the range they want out of the 787's they need to further reduce the seat count and cargo payload will be restricted .
    They work well I suppose on most Asian flights and short haul international but still lack the MTOW Required for USA flights without payload restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Truth be known....the 787's provide a fair bit themselves! Way more than they ever forecast..
    Wouldn't mind them keeping the 777-200 for longer I think they are a much better suited aircraft for Air NZ.
    To really get the range they want out of the 787's they need to further reduce the seat count and cargo payload will be restricted .
    They work well I suppose on most Asian flights and short haul international but still lack the MTOW Required for USA flights without payload restrictions.
    That carbon fibre really "easy" to work with isn't it

Advanced Member

I think the article is reasonably fair to Air NZ

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/107...limate-dilemma

Like this comment - Air NZ employs a panel of sustainability advisors to give a running commentary on how more environmentally unsustainable the airline is becoming. As long as the shareholders are happy its OK

Betcha not many shareholders read the Air asustainability Report
    https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/...ity-Report.pdf

Their Advisory Panel has pretty famous people on it

https://www.airnewzealand.com/sustai...advisory-panel
    Last edited by winner69; 06-04-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thanks for the link mate. On a quick 30 second look the 21.4% increase in fuel efficiency in the last decade since 2009 is a notable headline and with an airline that burns ~ 1,000,000,000 liters of jet fuel a year, probably the only headline that really makes any real differecne. The rest of it is probably feel good stuff for the Greenies and possibly a good cure if I find myself suffering from insomnia at some stage again. 1 billion / 0.786 = 1.27 billion

70,000 litres of fuel saved per annum with electric cars is neither here nor there. This is though that if the fuel efficiency of the airline by choosing modern fuel efficient aircraft hadn't of improved by 21.4% they'd be burning something like 1.27 billion liters per annum so although shareholders and at times passengers lament the drama's of these fuel efficient Dreamliners they are a big part of the companies strategy to save about 270,000,000 liters of fuel per annum and no matter how you slice and dice it that's a very BIG number.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.