sharetrader
Page 81 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485911311815811081 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Here's the NZ Herald's report on the document: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10881011

Good for Bob De Groot i'd say.

It's never that cut and dry as"send maintenance to asia" in aviation. I've worked for several European airlines that tried it and it came back to haunt them with delays and extra costs out of heavy maintenance. If there's a delay in NZ you can shuffle a schedule. If it's in Asia and the next a/c is on the way,it's not so easy.

What will be,will be though. Better start looking for a new job in ChCh!

Go Jetstar!

I would have thought that Cullen Airlines would have waited until other operators had gained more operational experience with the 787 before having a clean-out of engineering and maintenance staff.

Going on the experience so far the long term future of this aircraft is questionable, and Cullen Airlines has signed up to buy it.

If the 787 turns out to be a dog Cullen Airlines may need more engineering staff than they planned to keep their old 767's and 777's in the air.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

Oh, there's problems with all new aircraft types and the 787 is a leap in technology. It'll be sorted and hopefully a good aircraft.
    The heavy checks have been extended from 5 yrs out till 10 years but we'll see how that works. Our not so old A320's have had significant corrosion problems in the wings. Of course this was also not envisioned.

After maintenance has gone watch for using Asian aircrew on Asian contracts. Once that has happened and a large portion of shares are sold overseas,what is the benefit to NZ from our national carrier?

NZ Herald "Analysts bullish on partial sale of Air NZ"

Cullen Airlines has a couple of future vulnerabilities. What are Emirates going to do with their spare 777's when they replace them on routes with A380's?

Will customers desert if a competitor puts A380's on the Pacific?

787 Dreamliners have had a troubled introduction, will these problems be sorted by the time Cullen Airlines takes delivery of theirs?

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. While I may seem to be down on Cullen Airlines they are in a better position than QANTAS or European flag carriers.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    NZ Herald "Analysts bullish on partial sale of Air NZ"

Cullen Airlines has a couple of future vulnerabilities. What are Emirates going to do with their spare 777's when they replace them on routes with A380's?

Will customers desert if a competitor puts A380's on the Pacific?

787 Dreamliners have had a troubled introduction, will these problems be sorted by the time Cullen Airlines takes delivery of theirs?

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. While I may seem to be down on Cullen Airlines they are in a better position than QANTAS or European flag carriers.
    I noted with much interest that the PM in his Budget speech yesterday talked about increased funding for tourists from Latin America. I travel between NZ and Argentina every 6-8 weeks. The only travel option I have at present between NZ and Argentina is LAN via Santiago. Aerolineas Argentinas pulled out last year. So if you want to fly direct between Latin/South America and NZ, LAN in your only option. It is increasingly fully booked and increasingly expensive. So if the PM wants increased tourism between SA/NZ, which I agree with, we need more flights. Star Alliance is completely out of the loop between Australasia and South America.
    Based on the above, I expect and wish for AIR to start flying from Auckland to Buenos Aires or Brasil. It would be a significant business for us and I reckon much more profitable route than the heavily competitive routes we are currently fighting on.

It wont be Cullen Airlines flying to South America iceman.

Because of the extended duration of such a flight over the Southern Ocean the rulz say that a four engined aircraft must be used. The only four engined aircraft in the Cullen Airlines fleet is the 747 which they plan to retire.

LAN use a four engined Airbus 340 on this route. This model is no longer being built leaving the A380 the only aircraft in current production available to fly this route. Whoever continues or develops this route may view the A380 bums on seats capacity as too great for the passengers on offer.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. Boeing are touting a 747 update called the 800 series. Reception by the market to this proposed update has been lukewarm so it is an open question whether Boeing will continue with the update.
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 18-05-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added PS

Guru

Not so. With 240 ETOPS a two engine aircraft can do it albeit not in a straight line.

Also the 747-8 series is already flying.

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/com...a-passage.html

Flying and the freighter version is popular