sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    They will be a lot cheaper if you don't !
    Excellent. Made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You know the strange thing though...I have this vague recollection that a couple of bright blokes collected their dividend on HLG a while back and selling in the mid $3 range in December 2017 before it went ex the whopping December dividend. Wonder how it worked out for them that time...
    That was with a company with ramped up prospects...

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The perfect divvy strip for some hounds, collect double the diivy on the Ex day, you don't see that too often.
    Agreed, that is unusual...

Talking of divvies any one know what or how the govt treats the imputation credits on their share of the dividend?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Talking of divvies any one know what or how the govt treats the imputation credits on their share of the dividend?
    Money in and money out would describe the government accounting system.

Do you think they actually file a tax return?

Grant will fold it into a paper dart and throw it out of the beehive window.

They simply come off AIR's credits, and are lost to the gummit

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    That was with a company with ramped up prospects...
    Not really mate. That company is smashing the ball out of the park of their own accord. Some on here merely pointed that out and those that listened have done very handsomely indeed.
    May I suggest you do some homework on the empirical evidence surrounding dividend stripping.
    Most times the shares recover the dividend within a few weeks, sometimes within a day
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Not really mate. That company is smashing the ball out of the park of their own accord. Some on here merely pointed that out and those that listened have done very handsomely indeed.

May I suggest you do some homework on the empirical evidence surrounding dividend stripping.
    Most times the shares recover the dividend within a few weeks, sometimes within a day
    I'm aware of the research, that data set an't the NZX, unusual in a day...over time perhaps is the conclusion I have seen..

on HLG yes they are doing well..debatable if the share price will go where this forum has suggested based on those results and longer term have they maintained it before.....so I see it as a ramp, perhaps not the best use of words above , it is a company with a more favourable trend in underlying earnings than AIR currently... was the difference :-)

Fair enough.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The perfect divvy strip for some hounds, collect double the diivy on the Ex day, you don't see that too often.
    Agreed it is quite unusual for a share to recover its dividend on the same day after going ex. Happening twice on the same day with SUM other share must be a once in a blue moon event or is this simply a case of its hard to keep SUM good companies down

Anyway getting back to the company I see in a behind the paywall article on NBR yesterday that AIR are cancelling all future flights to the Kapiti coast with effect from very early in April 2018. The Mayor has worked himself up into a real lather over this due to the unfortunate timing of AIR running a promotional event at the local airport very recently. AIR citing overall growth in its regional network of 4-5% this year and apparently need the pilots and planes elsewhere where the real demand growth exists.

My view: A perfectly understandable commercial decision. How long does it really take for Kapiti coast residents to drive to Wellington and catch a flight ? Probably less than the amount of time it takes the average Auckland resident to get to the Auckland airport. I think they need to harden up a bit. Come and try commuting on Auckland roads for a week and then they'd see they've got nothing to complain about ! P.S. I couldn't resist and went into wises maps to see the distance from Kapiti coast to Wellington airport. Its 61 km's and an estimated travelling time of 59 minutes. You be the judge if that's a hardship or not.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.