sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Just got one of those mass email outs from Mr Foran, outlining the impact Covid-19 has had on revenue and the effect on staffing.

I have some friends who work for Air NZ (junior levels) and feel very sorry for them indeed.

Starting to get a bit more realistic...

"Air New Zealand boss says airline will be mainly domestic"

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ver-3000-staff

I guess mass layoffs isn't something companies have had to do for quite some time, and no one wants to be the first.
    Last edited by Cyclical; 30-03-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Different markets, different product positioning -but the pain is mutual amongst airlines...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52084003

Quote Originally Posted by samjaynz View Post
    Just got one of those mass email outs from Mr Foran, outlining the impact Covid-19 has had on revenue and the effect on staffing.

I have some friends who work for Air NZ (junior levels) and feel very sorry for them indeed.
    that email was so brutally factual , I was kind of stunned that was sent out to all customers!
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    that email was so brutally factual , I was kind of stunned that was sent out to all customers!
    Pretty hard to sugar coat it. I was half expecting a line in there like "oh, and by the way, we've cancelled your airpoints." Maybe that's the next email...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Pretty hard to sugar coat it. I was half expecting a line in there like "oh, and by the way, we've cancelled your airpoints." Maybe that's the next email...
    Though if they mainly fly domestically it's going to be hard for me to use my $2k apripoints and probably $10k flight credits.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Yep definitely one of the most "raw" emails I've had throughout this crisis thus far.

Just read Air NZ described as a ‘zombie airline flying on fumes.’ ...that seems appropriate

Will be OK when renamed National Airways Corporation
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Beagle can you help me make the numbers work ? , $ 500 mio revenue , labour cost $110 Mio a month , lets say that is reduced to $ 75 mio ( just over 30 % reduction ) lease payments etc etc
    Disc : short