sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    I get frustrated with the whole ..... (insert occupation here) are underpaid. So many industries and occupations have exceptionally skilled staff and responsibilities that could be linked to protecting life, motor mechanics for one, we drive a lot more than we fly and many more killed on the roads than in the air. Paramedics currently on a uniform strike, if you ever get hurt or sick, have a heart attack or other emergency your life is in the hands of someone on a starting salary of not much more than $50,000 p/a. The top of the tree intensive care paramedics get $80,000 odd a year, these people keep you alive when someone else crosses the centre line hitting your car with your kids in it, they work weekends, nights and stressful jobs in their own way, nurses, teachers the list goes on, how successful would our children be without good teachers? Support services of lower qualified people, they all have an important role to fill as I cant imagine the upper middle class rolling up their sleeves. What's more important, the engineer servicing an engine or the people putting the technical advice out telling them how to do it? The pilots flying the plane or the people putting the fuel in, testing the fuel, making it the right way? All cogs in the wheel.

There is so much more to things than we know, everyone is worth their salt and over the years company greed, CEO greed and the old boys club has continued to find new heights in so many businesses. France is a good example where people are kicking back, I look at my children and wonder what will be left of society as it creeps even further. When I had shares in AIR I was impressed with the bonuses when good profits were made, they could have even gone further and as a shareholder it didn't bother me one bit if it reduced my piece of the pie. I don't think the union went about it the right way, Christmas and families holidays is not a bargaining chip and I wouldn't hire the bright spark who's idea it was as management wont forget and at the end of the day they make the decisions that effect the futures of said engineers and my thoughts are they deserve more remuneration but regardless of the merits that strike action was a step too far given the potential collateral damage.
    This 777 should be hugely enlarged, printed out multiple copies, framed and hung on the hanger walls at AIR's buildings and at their head office and in the cockpit of every aircraft. There's a LOT of greed and ego in this industry in my opinion and some of the salaries are eye watering. The average salary right across the airline is about $120,000 for over 11,000 employees. I think this is absurd. Its very hard for shareholders who's risk capital is the reason these people are so fortunate to have a job, to get a fair return when the average salary is that high and then certain sectors get even more greedy with their entitlement thinking and blackmail the public at Christmas time....any wonder resentment and hostility simmer away sometimes...enough said.

I think all employees should be cognisant that the only reason they have a job is that the Government bailed out the airline shortly after 9/11. They're effectively working for a Government controlled company with all the stability that implies, (probably a bit less now that Cindy's Kindy are in charge)...they should count themselves very fortunate.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-12-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This 777 should be hugely enlarged, printed out multiple copies, framed and hung on the hanger walls at AIR's buildings and at their head office and in the cockpit of every aircraft. There's a LOT of greed and ego in this industry in my opinion and some of the salaries are eye watering. The average salary right across the airline is about $120,000 for over 11,000 employees. I think this is absurd. Its very hard for shareholders who's risk capital is the reason these people are so fortunate to have a job, to get a fair return when the average salary is that high and then certain sectors get even more greedy with their entitlement thinking and blackmail the public at Christmas time....any wonder resentment and hostility simmer away sometimes...enough said.

I think all employees should be cognisant that the only reason they have a job is that the Government bailed out the airline shortly after 9/11. They're effectively working for a Government controlled company with all the stability that implies, (probably a bit less now that Cindy's Kindy are in charge)...they should count themselves very fortunate.
    Get out the wrong side of the bed again Mr B?
    Do we really need to go back there?
    God I could get into this but not going to take the bait....
    Airlines are VERY dependent on the people who work for them.. . Probably more so than most industries as it is so highly regulated.

If you had any idea of what actually goes on behind the scenes to keep those lumps of metal and carbon fibre in the air then maybe you would be abit more appreciative of those employees.
    Have another coffee and enjoy the rest of your day..

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Get out the wrong side of the bed again Mr B?

........Airlines are VERY dependent on the people who work for them.. . Probably more so than most industries as it is so highly regulated.

If you had any idea of what actually goes on behind the scenes to keep those lumps of metal and carbon fibre in the air then maybe you would be abit more appreciative of those employees.
    Have another coffee and enjoy the rest of your day..
    Totally agree. The employees are what set the airline apart. Lose their goodwill and you’ll lose your handsome profits Mr B
    Last edited by biker; 20-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    Totally agree. The employees are what set the airline apart. Lose their goodwill and you’ll lose your handsome profits Mr B
    Also, average wages are inflated with the amount of overtime and odd hours the people do. For many it isn't $120k for 40 hours/week.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Average wages inflated by the few at the top and their multiple million dollar salaries and bonuses.
    They are not value for money.
    om mani peme hum

Beagle have you been a naughty dog again stirring up trouble with AIR employees ? Shame on you... Bad, Bad dog ! This is supposed to be a time of goodwill towards all... Back in the kennel with you ! The spotted nearly extinct one is right, its the top brass that are paid the really excessive salaries Mrs Beagle
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Beagle have you been a naughty dog again stirring up trouble with AIR employees ? Shame on you... Bad, Bad dog ! This is supposed to be a time of goodwill towards all... Back in the kennel with you ! The spotted nearly extinct one is right, its the top brass that are paid the really excessive salaries Mrs Beagle
    Well that good to hear, I wouldn't get out of bed for 200k and really how do get ahead on that kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Well that good to hear, I wouldn't get out of bed for 200k and really how do get ahead on that kind of money:)
    By avoiding wasting money on high end BMW's is a good start

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

There you go Rodger... Those pesky naughty Engineers have settled...
    You won't have to worry about them for another couple of years...

Hmm wonder who are up next year???
    Long haul cabin attendants maybe??
    Enjoy you Christmas mince pies!