sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Recent AirNZ experience

Recently flew from London to Vancouver and Hong Kong to London with BA. The food was pretty much unedible, with the bun being as hard as a cricket ball and the rest of the meal looking very close to its best before date. The service wasn't much better with no real customer service or smiles from the cabin crew, they looked totally disinterested.

On the other hand my legs from Vancouver to Auckland and Auckland to Hong Kong with AirNZ were superb, better planes with better inflight entertainment, the food was great for airline food, and of course AirNZ cabin crew are always helpful. It's become noticable these days that the gap between the top airlines and the rest is widening and speaking with friends and colleagues they are willing to pay more to fly with the likes of AirNZ.

Also to top things off, I had a family emergency and needed to change my return London flights hours before taking off, jumped on the phone to AirNZ and was speaking to customer service within minutes who were sympathetic and were able to change my flight with no worries at all. I remember years ago at midnight getting an email from Jetstar saying my 6am flight was cancelled. This took hours to get sorted out through their crap customer service. You have to praise AirNZ and the extra mile they go to keep their customers happy.

Some speed wobbles in the wider aviation industry;

http://247wallst.com/aerospace-defen...80-production/

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Good to see some rationalizations in the supply chain. Air travel is undoubtedly getting cheaper and cheaper in real terms and according to IATA they're expecting around 5-6% ongoing annual growth in air travel going forward. As a safe and clean and green country AIR N.Z. are very well positioned to get their fair share on ongoing growth in the aviation industry. Modern fuel efficient fleet, sound balance sheet e.t.c.e.t.c
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Afew more seats for AIR

Mind you AIR don't serve WLG/MEL that well - must be a dunger of a route

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8803...direct-flights
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thanks for the info Winner.

Scorecard for 2016. I had AIR in my ledger at $2.90 in December 2015 and closed today at $2.195. Adding back 45 cents in fully imputed dividends received this year gets me to $2.645 in value so on a gross annual basis down 8.8%, (ignoring the fact I tweaked my holding during the year from time to time), for the year against the NZX50 gross index according to NBR finishing the year up 9%, so relative underperformance of 17.8% for the year and plenty of time to lick my wounds over the holidays and ponder the future for 2017.

The hound learned a very valuable lesson this year. I'm too old to dog paddle against the tide. Much easier swimming with the tide. When TA says get out, you GET OUT and ignore how good the FA seems even if its screaming at you to buy more ! KW even sent me a personal e.mail warning me when it was $2.80 going down. Wish I'd listened to her advice. Never mind...the hound can put her valuable investment principle's into practice in the future. Pain from losses is a great teacher and sometimes good for the soul to take a large dose of humility pills which is what I also got with this one this year so a more circumspect hound goes into 2017 with greater respect for TA discipline !

Disc:- Hold, AIR in a recovering uptrend in my opinion.

Happy new year and best wishes to all for a prosperous and sucessful 2017.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

That 219.5 close is great end to year

Wasn't it 170 odd not that long ago?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Yes mate its established a nice trending recovery from a low of $1.715 in mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Yay, let's hope so. I bought a lot (by my humble standards) at 2.19 before it went xd. If it goes to 2.19 I'm literally (not figuratively) going to wet my pants.
    It was a quite a mess to clean up, I can tell you.

My Scorecard so far

It is 14 months since borrowing on my mortgage to buy AIR. I borrowed extra to average down as the price dropped & in the end ignored stop losses.

I ended up with a capital loss of $12,092.81, Dividends of $19,758.59 giving me a return on my investment of $7,665.98

My interest payments were $5,725.68 leaving me with a profit of $812.70. This is enough to pay the next 2 months interest.

I still got $6,300.00 to claim at tax time from Imputation credits & dividends (approx. $3500) for March to come yet, so I guess the last 14 months stress has been worth it.

There were plenty of times I should have cashed in, but didn't and I guess I'm very lucky to still have a positive balance.

percy

Well the new year should bring cheer to you long suffering AIR shareholders,as the share price $2.195, has now gone up through both the 100 day EMA $2.08, and the 200 day EMA $2.19.
    Enjoy your flight.