sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Qantas seem to be having problems with one of their 380's in Dubai , a lot of unhappy people missing New Year in Sydney .
    I would be more than displeased if I was on the 2nd plane and got kicked off so the first lot of disgruntled punters wouldn't have a 2 day plus stopover

http://www.smh.com.au/national/qanta...31-gtk7b5.html
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Hey Roger Happy New Year!

I have done ok with my Air NZ shares so far in part thanks to following your postings thank you. i am interested to hear you are a TA advocate. I am keen to learn more about TA as I think it would have helped me get out of the likes of Wynyard sooner instead of watching the sinking ship go down and hoping it would re float . So I have just downloaded some TA books from Amazon for my New Years reading
    Happy new year Rupertbear and all the best for 2017 to you and everyone else.
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-12-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Default Happy New Year.

Another good year for investing :-))

Attachment 8574)

Missed by that much

Looks like another of AIR's competitors is getting bad publicity as well.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8806...-proper-update

Not a good look for the Qantas boss

I'm sure our Chris would have stayed until the very last stranded passenger was on their way home - yes

“ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Not a good look for the Qantas boss

I'm sure our Chris would have stayed until the very last stranded passenger was on their way home - yes

Regardless the kind of information that means I would never fly with them again.
    Last edited by Raz; 01-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I would be more than displeased if I was on the 2nd plane and got kicked off so the first lot of disgruntled punters wouldn't have a 2 day plus stopover

But good to hear that they found a quick solution to bring the Qantas CEO (who happened to be on the first plane) home for New Years eve:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel...-New-Years-Eve

Their clearly know how to treat important passengers and have their priorities right. I am sure the wait for the other passengers in Dubai is just so much more pleasant when knowing that the really important people got their flight home in time.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for the info Winner.

Scorecard for 2016. I had AIR in my ledger at $2.90 in December 2015 and closed today at $2.195. Adding back 45 cents in fully imputed dividends received this year gets me to $2.645 in value so on a gross annual basis down 8.8%, (ignoring the fact I tweaked my holding during the year from time to time), for the year against the NZX50 gross index according to NBR finishing the year up 9%, so relative underperformance of 17.8% for the year and plenty of time to lick my wounds over the holidays and ponder the future for 2017.

The hound learned a very valuable lesson this year. I'm too old to dog paddle against the tide. Much easier swimming with the tide. When TA says get out, you GET OUT and ignore how good the FA seems even if its screaming at you to buy more ! KW even sent me a personal e.mail warning me when it was $2.80 going down. Wish I'd listened to her advice. Never mind...the hound can put her valuable investment principle's into practice in the future. Pain from losses is a great teacher and sometimes good for the soul to take a large dose of humility pills which is what I also got with this one this year so a more circumspect hound goes into 2017 with greater respect for TA discipline !

Disc:- Hold, AIR in a recovering uptrend in my opinion.

Happy new year and best wishes to all for a prosperous and successful 2017.
    Hi Roger,

Good on you for reviewing your investment decisions and to use the outcome for some learning. That's the best way to capitalize on mishaps. I am currently in the same process (and can report that I made a bit of money this year with AIR , that's more than I can say about some other investments). Very useful process, and I might expand on that in the next couple of days (when I am finished ... today is more for the beach ...).

Hope your assessment where AIR is going is right - I still think it can go either way from here.

Anyway - happy and prosperous New Year to you and anybody else on sharetrader. Looking forward to plenty of educational discussions in 2017.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    But good to hear that they found a quick solution to bring the Qantas CEO (who happened to be on the first plane) home for New Years eve:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel...-New-Years-Eve

Their clearly know how to treat important passengers and have their priorities right. I am sure the wait for the other passengers in Dubai is just so much more pleasant when knowing that the really important people got their flight home in time.
    I hear you, but the reality is there is a priority order. EG, on AIR, if a flight is cancelled, the ground staff immediately allocate Gold Elites to the next flight (s) with seating available, followed by Gold, Silver, etc, before you even get to the counter. If you don't have a loyalty card, you are custard. This applies to most, if not all airlines.

I was on a cancelled flight out of Invercargill (and was GE at the time) and was flying with 2 colleagues who were 'custard class' This was my first ever cancelled flight whilst being GE, and I was not expecting to be treated any differently, so we all joined the queue to rebook. I was surprised to find I was already booked on next available, whilst my colleagues were 4 hours later.

As an aside, one of them had a young family to get home to, for me it didn't matter if I was late, so I offered to swap flights. The ground staff looked at me twice, but were happy to follow orders. In appreciation my colleague bought me a Powerball random dip, which struck first division and 26million powerball.

Nah, didn't...... happy 2017 investing everyone

I'll tell you another dirty little secret about cancelled flights.

Often the putting up stranded passengers in hotels and transport to and from are the responisibility of the ground handling contractor who is often bulk funded for this.

If the cancellations and accomdation costs during the contract period are below projections the contractor gets to trouser the funds. On the other hand if costs exceed projections the extra cost comes out of the contractors wallet. So if you are grounded due to a cancellation you are often at the mercy of a contractor motivated to minimise costs.

In one instance I was involved with a flight was cancelled and we were booked on an alternative flight at a nearby airport late at night. Unfortunately we were held up getting to this airport. Because the airline had a different ground handling contractor at each airport and there was no co-ordination between them they failed to hold the flight so we were stuck in a hotel overnight when a 15 or 20 minute delay to the plane could have got everone on board and happily on their way.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. Poor optics for the CEO of Queer and Nasty Airlines to be winging his way home while fellow passengers were still stranded. All customers are equal but not as worthy as their executives.
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 01-01-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.