sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

Just confirming what I've been saying for a while on here now, a ripper of a year on the domestic front coming up.

Hey couts - a neat looking plane parked up at WLG

Seems to be this Guns n Roses Airline

More competition for AIR?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    After being astounded with this number the other day I've done some sums and now reckon you are a bit light with your $240m (which signals they haven't been any more efficient than last year)

Using your passenger revenue forecast (known within a few million) and assuming no great change in other revenue streams total revenues will be about $2.63 million

CASK has been improving over the last few years (efficiencies etc) and if we use a CASK of 9.0 cents (H!16 was 9.4 and H2 was 9.1) and plugging in numbers for finance costs etc one comes to an NPBT of $310m

Whatever MOPS has been could upset that CASK assumption. MOPS was US$60/barrel in H1 last year so maybe about the same this year. But if no improvement in CASK and it is same as last years 9.4 cents then NPAT will be about $230m

Whatever I reckon H1 could be around $300m which would set up a good full year result.

Praying for a good CASK - as no doubt AIR are else they will need to rewrite the Slides on CASK and CASK Improvement which they proudly touted at last announcements.
    Hi Winner,
    Agree on your $60 oil average last year.
    In late January 2016 when Brent oil hit a low ~ $30 barrel based on the conference call I listened into at their interim result in Feb 2016 I understand AIR very astutely went to their maximum allowable, (within their own pre-determined criteria) forward cover position on oil. I believe in Q1 FY17 AIR were enjoying utilizing that extremely well timed forward cover which together with more use of more fuel efficient planes augers well for some ongoing CASK improvement in IH FY17. CASK price pressure will be felt with higher fuel prices since then. They were also running the little Beechcraft 1900 planes last year that are fuel hungry for their size and have been on record saying they were losing $1m a month of that fleet last year which isn't repeated 1H FY17.

As we move into 2H FY17 they have recently taken delivery of another 3 Dreamliners (9 in total now) and are exiting their remaining fuel hungry 767's this half from March so we should see ongoing fuel efficiency gains this half, offset by slightly higher fuel prices but augmented by better yields, (recall the CPI data link I posted last week showing the substantial increase in international airfares in the last quarter of 2016).

I'm happy with my pick of ~ $240m, (its good for a bean counter to be conservative) and as I mentioned by e.mail last week I feel $260-280m is on the cards for 2H FY17.

Just my old steam powered abacus...probably miles off...we'll know a lot more in a few weeks when they report and I'll probably be miles out lol

You could well be right and the profit could be ~ $300 and CASK could really surprise to the downside. I think its possible CASK could be as low as 8.6 - 8.7 cents. Maybe we both get a big surprise in a few weeks

(Cask is cost per available seat kilometer in case anyone is wondering)
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-01-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Default N.Z. Tourism and immigration Hit Fresh Records

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/d...endar-2016html

Good for AIR, THL and some other stocks.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Looks like another drop in SP today. Must be that 2.09 valuation.

Dodgy valuing going on. More transactions. More cuts. I suppose.

I was going to sell some but I'll just take my 10c divi then

Quote Originally Posted by bonmaklad View Post
    Dodgy valuing going on. More transactions. More cuts. I suppose.

I was going to sell some but I'll just take my 10c divi then
    Wise idea, coz as soon as you sell it is bound to shoot back up again.

Whats the general view on the 2.09 valuation anyway. Accurate or not?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simjp81 View Post
    Whats the general view on the 2.09 valuation anyway. Accurate or not?
    Accumulating

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Accumulating
    Haha, good answer couta