sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

Only problem being you are code sharing with a cash strapped airline . I always worry about maintenance etc with airlines that are struggling financially .Much prefer just to be on AIR.NZ

Wonder if Christopher did some deep thinking over the holidays and decided that for Air New Zealand to take that next step it's time to pivot.

I'll be reading his presentations closely to see how often he uses the word pivot in 2017
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

A year ago when AIR share price was hovering around 300 Luxon's halo shone brightly

He then disappointed a few and some said his halo was pretty tarnished

Current view - halo all bright and shining again?

Been in the job for a while now - I reckon he looking around for another job. Should have taken that Fonterra job a year ago.

Just noticed that analyst confidence keeps dropping: They sliced another percentage or so off the estimated revenue for the years to come, and a bit more off the EPS estimates. 12 month target price is now $2.09 (the trend is not a pretty sight), recommendation a weak hold (4.58 out of 10);

http://www.4-traders.com/AIR-NEW-ZEA...407/consensus/

SP scratched a fast dropping MA200 - is this what an uptrend looks like?

AIRnow.JPG
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just noticed that analyst confidence keeps dropping: They sliced another percentage or so off the estimated revenue for the years to come, and a bit more off the EPS estimates. 12 month target price is now $2.09 (the trend is not a pretty sight), recommendation a weak hold (4.58 out of 10);

http://www.4-traders.com/AIR-NEW-ZEA...407/consensus/

SP scratched a fast dropping MA200 - is this what an uptrend looks like?

AIRnow.JPG

Looks like a downtrend - lower highs and lower lows

Will sub 170 be the next low

Been in an uptrend for the last 4 months or so from ~ $1.70 and still clearly above the 100 day MA - no worries.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Well I always said AIR are well to get shot of Virgin and getting their stake away at ~ A31 cents wasn't too shabby in the circumstances. AIR will book a reasonable profit on disposal in the current half to be reported soon on their remaining stake which if I remember correctly was written down to about 21 cents as at balance date 30 June, which they also subsequently sold for ~ A31 cents.

Both good results for the sale when the SP at the time was languishing in the low - mid 20 cent range and with the benefit of more hindsight a satisfactory result with Virgin hitting all time lows today of 19.5 cents and looks to be headed even lower.

Various posters who I shall not name suggested Chris Luxon was a hot head and were crazy to sell their stake, one or two posters even suggested VAH with its still extremely stretched balance sheet was a better bet than AIR going forward.

I think the passage of time has shown Chris Luxon took the bull by the horns and did extremely well to extricate the company from Virgin at a satisfactory price and sweep the floor clean of previous management's flawed Australian expansion strategy.

In addition I note AIR paid out the full proceeds of the sale as a special divvy last year. I for one am very pleased as a shareholder this money is in my pocket rather than still invested in Virgin. I suspect the Government feels exactly the same way.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-02-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Added to which, the CEO's of the big 3 international airlines in the USA (Delta, American, United) have jointly approached the Government to review the 'Open Skies' policy that (so they say) have unfairly advantaged the big Middle Eastern Airlines (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) and the supposed help they get from their Governments.

Who knows what policies President Trump will suddenly announce that favour the US airlines everywhere. Anything is possible at the moment.
    Yep American Airlines are absolutely terrified of sand state airlines. Offering Americans flights in modern clean planes at reasonable prices would cause a stampede of customers.

A sort of Mexican stand-off has devloped with sand state airlines well aware the American airlines own the best congressmen that money can buy. So far they have limited their routes to and from the US to ones the American carriers don't fly to avoid provoking a reaction.

It will only take someone to flinch before undertakers start carrying airlines up Boot Hill for burial.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 07-02-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Yep American Airlines are absolutely terrified of sand state airlines. Offering Americans flights in modern clean planes at reasonable prices would cause a stampede of customers.

A sort of Mexican stand-off has devloped with sand state airlines well aware the American airlines own the best congressmen that money can buy. So far they have limited their routes to and from the US to ones the American carriers don't fly to avoid provoking a reaction.

It will only take someone to flinch before undertakers start carrying airlines up Boot Hill for burial.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Good post........

Looks like a bit of a down trend here. Looking forward to results day.