sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Veteran novice

The only criticism I can think of is the seats are a bit hard. I kind of like the whole turboprop thing getting a whiff of aviation fuel in your nostrils as you walk out on the tarmac.
    Agree, Roger, but there is one other point - the need to keep one's head down while walking out to the tarmac, so as not to ruin one's jetsetter image.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've flown the ATR 600 heaps of times to Napier which at 217 miles is longer than the sector we're debating. Its a huge step up from the old Fokker F27 Friendship days and vastly quicker than the old DC3 flights I remember.

I think they're a thoroughly modern turboprop and actually prefer seeing the view from 16,000 feet than about 35000 feet in an A320. The only criticism I can think of is the seats are a bit hard. I kind of like the whole turboprop thing getting a whiff of aviation fuel in your nostrils as you walk out on the tarmac.
    I travel the ATR frequently between Nelson and Auckland and totally agree with you on this. Nothing wrong with these planes and I find the experience as good or better than any other option we have for regional flights. Maybe us regional plebs are not as demanding as big city folk :-)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I travel the ATR frequently between Nelson and Auckland and totally agree with you on this. Nothing wrong with these planes and I find the experience as good or better than any other option we have for regional flights. Maybe us regional plebs are not as demanding as big city folk :-)
    I flew on quite a few in South East Asia - very popular for international flights (though, to be fair, they are fairly short).

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I like you comment although have you ever had any other options? Also blessed with much better conditions on the tarmac mid winter in Nelson and Auckland:-) That reminds me my Auckland neighbours swear it doesn't rain every day in the big city, can't get over that one :-)

Guru

...getting a whiff of aviation fuel in your nostrils as you walk out on the tarmac.
    I always "wind down" the window as I get close to the airport to get a childish buzz of excitement from smelling the aviation fuel fumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I like you comment although have you ever had any other options? Also blessed with much better conditions on the tarmac mid winter in Nelson and Auckland:-) That reminds me my Auckland neighbours swear it doesn't rain every day in the big city, can't get over that one :-)
    No fun going from plane to terminal on the tarmac in Wellington with a freezing howling southerly blowing horizontal rain directly off Cook Strait

Te suits hate it - no wonder Raz sends an underling
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

No fun going from plane to terminal on the tarmac in Wellington with a freezing howling southerly blowing horizontal rain directly off Cook Strait

Te suits hate it - no wonder Raz sends an underling
    Bring back Ansett.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I always "wind down" the window as I get close to the airport to get a childish buzz of excitement from smelling the aviation fuel fumes!
    Thanks, I feel more normal now

Friend of mine suggested to me that freight volumes have been very strong. Also I know that AIR's new Dreamliners can carry three times the freight regardless of pax load of the 767's they're replacing which had freight limitations in certain pax and flight distance routes.

I'm expecting 1H result to slightly exceed average analyst expectations so am topping up a bit more this morning and have got a partial fill so far of 6,666 shares, a number that's somewhat disturbing...better get the others fast
    Hmmmmm...the hound got to wondering if that's my free reminder that money is the root of all evil...or maybe I'm reading tea leaves that aren't there...food for thought anyway.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Friend of mine suggested to me that freight volumes have been very strong. Also I know that AIR's new Dreamliners can carry three times the freight regardless of pax load of the 767's they're replacing which had freight limitations in certain pax and flight distance routes.

I'm expecting 1H result to slightly exceed average analyst expectations so am topping up a bit more this morning and have got a partial fill so far of 6,666 shares, a number that's somewhat disturbing...better get the others fast
    Hmmmmm...the hound got to wondering if that's my free reminder that money is the root of all evil...or maybe I'm reading tea leaves that aren't there...food for thought anyway.
    Not to worry Roger, I just blessed your 666 and everything is good. Also just topped up with 24,000 AIR. Results and div coming soon. Is AIR the next cab off the rank? Sold a small holding of A2m and made a nice little 6k profit this morning.

Hi Roger. Not sure on your comment re 787 freight capacity. The holds are a similar size to the 767. Whilst the aircraft may be able to carry more weight than the 767 they are still falling short capacity wise especially long haul..
    Last edited by RTFQ; 16-02-2017 at 02:22 PM.