sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Isn't that how the world works these days ........
    For some...maybe. SKC for example inflict great social harm on many of their customers but you wouldn't think an airline would do it !
    On another level I suppose you're referring to how all airlines are dirty polluters and how so many multinational companies exploit dirt cheap labor in countries like Bangladesh and all sorts of other social and moral arguments but its perhaps worth noting that the average salary at AIR is over $100K per person and they crew get six weeks annual leave and most I have talked too see AIR as a very responsible employer with a very good culture. I think there's a ton of work to do to improve the culture at United. Their whole over-booking and dismemberment procedures in cases of overbooking look like they're badly in need of a total overhaul to me !
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-04-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I wasn't referring to AIR in my earlier comment - was just responding to your sick bag comment about capitalism (which was closer to the truth than you hought)

Anyway hope the big AIRplane looks after me tomorrow - at least not one of those awful Dreamliners.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I wasn't referring to AIR in my earlier comment - was just responding to your sick bag comment about capitalism (which was closer to the truth than you hought)

Anyway hope the big AIRplane looks after me tomorrow - at least not one of those awful Dreamliners.
    Have a good time mate, happy holiday BTW Capitalism doesn't need to be sick, making plenty of money and providing a nice service / product to customers are not mutually exclusive activities, (94% industry leading satisfaction rate at SUM a good example and AIR winning premium economy airline of the year award again another good example) You flying PE again this time or slumming it down the back with the rest of us less capitalist mortals ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Yes me too; hope they've installed a comfortable fence for you onboard to sit on.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Have a good time mate, happy holiday BTW Capitalism doesn't need to be sick, making plenty of money and providing a nice service / product to customers are not mutually exclusive activities,
    absolutely right .

Without wishing to inflame the discussion, you will find that most, if not all airlines take over-bookings. This is because there are almost always 'no-shows'. Each airline will have stats that provide a solid basis for determining how many no-shows there are for each route, time of day etc, and they will look to 'wing it' with overbookings. To my knowledge, Singapore Airlines are the most notorious

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    Without wishing to inflame the discussion, you will find that most, if not all airlines take over-bookings. This is because there are almost always 'no-shows'. Each airline will have stats that provide a solid basis for determining how many no-shows there are for each route, time of day etc, and they will look to 'wing it' with overbookings. To my knowledge, Singapore Airlines are the most notorious
    Pretty heavy handed approach to remedying the situation though...only in America?---Ive come to the conclusion that ,although i think price is an important factor--I would make an exception to avoid going through USA if I was going on somewhere else---(apparently tourism has declined since all the trump bans and that ''going through your computers and cell phone shenanigans).

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Pretty heavy handed approach to remedying the situation though...only in America?---Ive come to the conclusion that ,although i think price is an important factor--I would make an exception to avoid going through USA if I was going on somewhere else---(apparently tourism has declined since all the trump bans and that ''going through your computers and cell phone shenanigans).
    For the life of me I cannot see what all this United stuff has ANYTHING to do with AIR NZ and how it and what economic issues that might affect Air NZ should be discussed on this forum. Give it a break guys , its pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Someone please pass me a sick bag, if that's the reason that's capitalism at its most ugly !
    Its terrible in this case however the other side of this is it is really great for those flexible. I have usually take advantage of this in the States on internal flights. I always book the second last flight of the night, happens 75% of the time they make an offer, I only take them up on it if they offer 800$ or higher compensation and still end up at my destination on the last flight of the night. Pays for all your domestic travel :-)

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Its terrible in this case however the other side of this is it is really great for those flexible. I have usually take advantage of this in the States on internal flights. I always book the second last flight of the night, happens 75% of the time they make an offer, I only take them up on it if they offer 800$ or higher compensation and still end up at my destination on the last flight of the night. Pays for all your domestic travel :-)
    Love it.
    Good on you.