sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Your experience is very common and I couldn't agree more. Stuff running their own survey as a part of that link I posted earlier. 64% of 3,300 voters so far have voted that Jetstar is always a disappointment, note the choice of the word "Always"

Imagine what percentage that vote would have been if the question was worded Is Jetstar sometimes a disappointment !
    They never asked me.!
    Always very happy.!
    Last edited by percy; 28-04-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    They never asked me.!
    Always very happy.!
    Good for you Percy. My experience with them when on business twice to Napier was so appalling it was a joke.
    First time they cancelled due to engineering issues but offered me a later flight that day, (which meant I couldn't make that meeting).
    After waiting 45 minutes on hold at their foreign staffed call center I spent another 15 minutes trying to explain to the call center lady with such a thick accent that I couldn't communicate with her that because their later outgoing flight was useless to me the return leg of the day trip journey was also useless.
    They simply didn't / couldn't / wouldn't understand and offered me a later flight home, which was also useless as I hadn't left in the first place.
    Honestly it was a joke and not only ruined my day but wasted another hour of valuable time. All they would refund, (and it took them 3 weeks to do it was the cost of the outgoing leg of the journey).

Same thing happened the second time I tried flying down there, this time they cancelled the flight just two minutes before final boarding call due to "staff issues" In other words one of their staff simply didn't turn up for their shift and at the last minute they have zero back up crew for regional flights.
    I didn't even bother wasting another hour of my time trying to get the partial refund.

All the scathing articles in the press over such a long period of time about the way they treat their passengers cannot all be fake news. The survey results both the overseas one and the local stuff one speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    They never asked me.!
    Always very happy.!
    Stuff, as in the website - not stAff.

Vote away!
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel...onsumer-survey

Well the AIR share price sure is performing well, glad I kept half the shares I had when we sold some to purchase a car.

The thread is usually quieter while the SP is performing well - not unlike some others I guess but congrats to those that had the bottle to buy in when in the 1.70 range, hard to imagine a better performing stock over the last few months including divvy some great gains.

The stats are great and above expectations of the terrible decline some were predicting. It doesn't have to be a record year to be a solid investment and I have said this a few times, they are in the business of flying people around, immigration and tourism are the highest ever and most of AIRs profit is domestic.

Jetstar may have cheaper prices percy but one has to ask, if they are so good why are they still having to discount so heavily to fill their planes? They have been in the NZ market for a while now and not really performing that well, I have flown them on occasion when required and have had mixed experiences like many others. AIR is not perfect but its a well managed airline with considerably less issues and better service than its competitors and that's the general public talking not just shareholders.

Each to their own, happy holder, happy Koru member and no regrets cashing some in last month.
    Last edited by workingdad; 28-04-2017 at 08:05 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Well the AIR share price sure is performing well, glad I kept half the shares I had when we sold some to purchase a car.

The thread is usually quieter while the SP is performing well - not unlike some others I guess but congrats to those that had the bottle to buy in when in the 1.70 range, hard to imagine a better performing stock over the last few months including divvy some great gains.

The stats are great and above expectations of the terrible decline some were predicting. It doesn't have to be a record year to be a solid investment and I have said this a few times, they are in the business of flying people around, immigration and tourism are the highest ever and most of AIRs profit is domestic.

Jetstar may have cheaper prices percy but one has to ask, if they are so good why are they still having to discount so heavily to fill their planes? They have been in the NZ market for a while now and not really performing that well, I have flown them on occasion when required and have had mixed experiences like many others. AIR is not perfect but its a well managed airline with considerably less issues and better service than its competitors and that's the general public talking not just shareholders.

Each to their own, happy holder, happy Koru member and no regrets cashing some in last month.
    I stated I went with JetStar as I had trouble booking on AIR's site,and found my way around JetStar's OK.
    I usually book months in advance,as I know when I will be buying books,or taking holidays,so I can take advantage of their cheap prices.Their timetable works for me.
    I have nothing against AIR,but I have had no reason not to fly JetStar.The Airbus is a nice plane,the seats are comfortable,the service has been reliable and good.
    I will also point out I do very little flying.Maybe our next holiday, we will fly to Sydney with Emirates, and come home from Gold Coast, with whoever offers a direct flight at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by percy; 28-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Might be a dumb question but is there a reason Jetstar don't fly more in New Zealand and fight more for market share given it's so profitable?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    Might be a dumb question but is there a reason Jetstar don't fly more in New Zealand and fight more for market share given it's so profitable?
    Where did you hear it's so profitable?

They lose money if a plane flies under 60% capacity, I think they cancel flights sometimes just to avoid the loss.

While I don't fly Jetstar myself - we do need them here to provide some competition. My wife had to fly down to Invercargill at short notice over Easter to care for a parent who was coming out of hospital. I knew it was going to be expensive booking a flight with AIR over Easter a few days before Good Friday - but $906 from Wellington to Invercargill return for 1 person is pretty steep in anyone's language. I'm sure I wouldn't have had to pay that if Jetstar was flying into Invercargill.

Discl. sold all my AIR a week ago (not because of the above) to build up my cash reserve as I think the NZX is due for a correction.......just a hunch

IMO

So true re needing the comp Mickey. I had everything crossed that Jetstar would choose Tauranga as a route but not to be.Our airport was considered and I'm surmising Jetstar asked our city/regional council what incentives thy could offer(along with all the stats on passengers etc they would have researched). Unfortunately not to be at this point but hopefully soon as TGA is arguably the 4th biggest city now and growing stupidfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    So true re needing the comp Mickey. I had everything crossed that Jetstar would choose Tauranga as a route but not to be.Our airport was considered and I'm surmising Jetstar asked our city/regional council what incentives thy could offer(along with all the stats on passengers etc they would have researched). Unfortunately not to be at this point but hopefully soon as TGA is arguably the 4th biggest city now and growing stupidfast.
    With passenger numbers of less the 300K per annum, Tauranga ranks as the 11th busiest just behind Hamilton at 10th. That is the core issue. The passenger numbers are however growing quickly, so JQ will no doubt service the airport at some point in the near future once further aircraft become available.