sharetrader
Page 1147 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 147647104710971137114311441145114611471148114911501151 ... LastLast
Results 17,191 to 17,205 of 17297

Thread: AIR NZ

  1. #17191
    A BEARISH BULL winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    26,506

    Default

    Dreamliners ...once broken never fixed

    A lemon always a lemon
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  2. #17192
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  3. #17193
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

    As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

    Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  4. #17194
    A BEARISH BULL winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    26,506

    Default

    Industry talk -

    One of the questions during last weeks’ OAG webinars was from a New York-based corporate travel agent. He suggested that after 9/11 the people who got back on planes were considered “brave” but with COVID-19 those returning to the skies are deemed “careless”. It’s an interesting observation and highlights the important role that public perceptions about the safety of flying will play in helping the aviation sector return to some semblance of normalcy. Of course, what is really needed is that the public become confident travellers once again.


    https://www.oag.com/blog/brave-carel..._hsmi=88290981
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  5. #17195
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

    As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

    Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    I would expect AIR's staff to provide a controlled and safe embarkation and disembarkation process.
    AIR, the so called premium airline where you book a window seat and hope they leave the middle seat vacant, bring your own hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes because who really knows when they last cleaned the armrests, mask, gloves, water, snack and magazine and huddle in your seat until everyone else has disembarked to try to stay safe. No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  6. #17196
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    No evidence?

    Try with the official government numbers. When was the last time we had a new Covid 19 case which they could not link to either an existing cluster or to overseas travel? Must be at least four weeks or so ago.

    What is the typical incubation period? - 5 to 7 days.

    So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  7. #17197
    Membaa
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    Roughly 5 one thousandths percentage of the population has the virus currently and they should be in isolation recovering. My view is that is safe enough to go to level one and resume all business, including air travel with no restrictions or distancing within New Zealand.

  8. #17198
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).BP
    No argument with what you said about community transmission now being unlikely but where is your evidence to support this bold claim. I would have no reservations about going back to church with 2m distancing but have serious reservations about getting on a plane anytime soon with their so called social distancing.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  9. #17199
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Clearly separation on Air NZ is not social distancing separation of 1 metre.....

    Sitting in the window, the aisle seat is less than 1 metre. Someone in the seat behind is less than 1 metre. Someone in front is less than 1 metre.

    Any of them sneeze...…

    But in my books, if you are really that worried, then don't get in a metal tube with complete strangers to fly the length of the country.

  10. #17200
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-05-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  11. #17201
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

    Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.

  12. #17202
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    LA/ChCh/AKL
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

    Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.
    It actually been great to get away from the grind of the international flights for work...the SI has plenty to do and a only a few hours away via car. Enjoying the difference.

  13. #17203
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

    Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.
    Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  14. #17204
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.
    Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

    But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

    Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.

  15. #17205
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

    But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

    Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.
    Virtual meetings are not so bad these days. I bought Mrs Beagle a lovely Hewlett Packard state of the art system with super high resolution huge 27 inch screen just before the lockdown. The screen is so big and crystal clear its almost like "being there". I think there is going to be a real seismic shift in many companies perceptions about this form of virtual meeting being perfectly acceptable.
    Can't even really shake hands in business safely yet anyway. As you say, business travel is often at very short notice and very high prices and the front end of planes is where the money is made.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •