sharetrader
Page 1147 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 147647104710971137114311441145114611471148114911501151 ... LastLast
Results 17,191 to 17,205 of 17297

Thread: AIR NZ

Dreamliners ...once broken never fixed

A lemon always a lemon
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Industry talk -

One of the questions during last weeks’ OAG webinars was from a New York-based corporate travel agent. He suggested that after 9/11 the people who got back on planes were considered “brave” but with COVID-19 those returning to the skies are deemed “careless”. It’s an interesting observation and highlights the important role that public perceptions about the safety of flying will play in helping the aviation sector return to some semblance of normalcy. Of course, what is really needed is that the public become confident travellers once again.

https://www.oag.com/blog/brave-carel..._hsmi=88290981
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    I would expect AIR's staff to provide a controlled and safe embarkation and disembarkation process.
    AIR, the so called premium airline where you book a window seat and hope they leave the middle seat vacant, bring your own hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes because who really knows when they last cleaned the armrests, mask, gloves, water, snack and magazine and huddle in your seat until everyone else has disembarked to try to stay safe. No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.

No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    No evidence?

Try with the official government numbers. When was the last time we had a new Covid 19 case which they could not link to either an existing cluster or to overseas travel? Must be at least four weeks or so ago.

What is the typical incubation period? - 5 to 7 days.

So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    Roughly 5 one thousandths percentage of the population has the virus currently and they should be in isolation recovering. My view is that is safe enough to go to level one and resume all business, including air travel with no restrictions or distancing within New Zealand.

the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).BP
    No argument with what you said about community transmission now being unlikely but where is your evidence to support this bold claim. I would have no reservations about going back to church with 2m distancing but have serious reservations about getting on a plane anytime soon with their so called social distancing.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Advanced Member

Clearly separation on Air NZ is not social distancing separation of 1 metre.....

Sitting in the window, the aisle seat is less than 1 metre. Someone in the seat behind is less than 1 metre. Someone in front is less than 1 metre.

Any of them sneeze...…

But in my books, if you are really that worried, then don't get in a metal tube with complete strangers to fly the length of the country.

Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-05-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Advanced Member

Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.
    It actually been great to get away from the grind of the international flights for work...the SI has plenty to do and a only a few hours away via car. Enjoying the difference.

Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.

Advanced Member

Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.
    Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.

Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.
    Virtual meetings are not so bad these days. I bought Mrs Beagle a lovely Hewlett Packard state of the art system with super high resolution huge 27 inch screen just before the lockdown. The screen is so big and crystal clear its almost like "being there". I think there is going to be a real seismic shift in many companies perceptions about this form of virtual meeting being perfectly acceptable.
    Can't even really shake hands in business safely yet anyway. As you say, business travel is often at very short notice and very high prices and the front end of planes is where the money is made.