sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eval View Post
    Need guts. For your kind information have topped off another 50k volumes at 3.49 this afternoon. Holding over 200k volumes in AIR. 100% Portfolio.
    I think you might be trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs re the guts comment. 100% of portfolio, no problem if you have enough conviction.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Need guts. For your kind information have topped off another 50k volumes at 3.49 this afternoon. Holding over 200k volumes in AIR. 100% Portfolio.
    Couta is very well known for having plenty of guts when it comes to investing. Good luck to you having 100% of your portfolio in just one share

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Couta is very well known for having plenty of guts when it comes to investing. Good luck to you having 100% of your portfolio in just one share
    This is not first time i have done holding 100% Portfolio in one. Have done quite a few times overs the last 9 years with lot of success

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

This is not first time i have done holding 100% Portfolio in one. Have done quite a few times overs the last 9 years with lot of success
    Yes it wouldnt be for this little bear, it would give me sleepless nights! But yes if you get your timing right you would do very very well I imagine!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Thanks for your kind words RB, suffering significant losses and not giving up takes the most guts of all, something you have also been through, yet you'rve kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    humming along nicely - forget the A330, A350, looking good for A380
    Only three weeks since you were all warned (again) of the speeding bullet. I then called 400 a week later. Still on target guys. Stay strong if holding, as the share price is STRONGLY TRENDING

sorry sorry I have to delete...meant for SUM....sorry
    Last edited by troyvdh; 11-07-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: wrong post wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just allow me to add some observations to this thread. Booked over the weekend a trip to Europe / Singapore for later in the year.

1) Prices are as low (or actually lower) than what I used to pay 20 years ago for a trip to Europe ... no matter whether you go with Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, Qantas or Emirates (that's the carriers I checked); Must be a buyer's (travellers) market.

2) All of the carriers above (but Air New Zealand) offer now a 30kg luggage allowance in economy. AIR offers just meagre 23 kg;

3) Some of the carriers (well, certainly AIR) charge additional "hidden" fees for paying with credit cards (how else do you want to pay over the internet?). Others (like Singapore Airlines) don't.

4) Ah yes - and for my route was Singapore Airlines anyway offering the best connection (but admittedly a home game for them) AND the lowest price (without considering their better handling of credit cards and their better luggage allowance.

Guess which carrier I booked with?

Not writing this to annoy AIR share holders, but I think there are a couple of things to deduct from my experience:

1) AIR is falling back compared to the other carriers in terms of the quality of their offer AND
    2) margins can't be that good (for all of them) if they have to drop their prices to 20 year lows ...

Maybe somebody wants to ask AIR management why they risk falling back behind the competition by annoying customers with hidden fees and meagre luggage allowance? It is very easy to damage a brand ... just imagine what might stick in the memories of travellers: AIR - the greedy Airline?
    I agree, I am an AIR flyer, the koru club for domestic flying is the only real offering in NZ putting them at the top of a list of one in my books but when it comes to international AIR are good but others are raising the bar. I flew Emirates today in an A380, their lounge in Melbourne is considerably better than AIR's, the planes seating and service are similar but overall I felt today that Emirates is one I will look at for international flights from here on and will quite likely be leaning towards them. It feels weird to say that having flown 95% AIR over the years but that's my current thoughts on it as an avid supporter for a long time.

I sold half my holding (not large) in the mid 2.30's range banking a good gain and still holding the other half with some loose stoploss' in place but happy to hold for now.

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    I agree, I am an AIR flyer, the koru club for domestic flying is the only real offering in NZ putting them at the top of a list of one in my books but when it comes to international AIR are good but others are raising the bar. I flew Emirates today in an A380, their lounge in Melbourne is considerably better than AIR's, the planes seating and service are similar but overall I felt today that Emirates is one I will look at for international flights from here on and will quite likely be leaning towards them. It feels weird to say that having flown 95% AIR over the years but that's my current thoughts on it as an avid supporter for a long time.

I sold half my holding (not large) in the mid 2.30's range banking a good gain and still holding the other half with some loose stoploss' in place but happy to hold for now.
    AIR domestic often offers a better package in economy than international for space. The Koru lounges are average and often crowded. The key advantage of Koru for me is the space seats and priority boarding.

It has been that way for a good five years. AIR is like Disneyland, they degraded their service, ask a premium and continue to get away with it given their strong brand. Usually only seasoned travellers look at the options. Combined with a strong brand a lot of flyers have limited options to many places or inferior competitors. i.e AKL - LAX i.e AA lack depth of service, Hawaiian airlines is an budget carrier to Honolulu etc.

If on your way to asia, ME or europe then the quality options open up, Singapore airlines, Emirates and Lufthansa offer superior economy, similar to what was provided for seating, hot towels and food service similar to the 80s on AIR, often at a better price, naturally with the technology of today. The premium services are simply another level.

Still AIRs strategy works and thats why I'm a shareholder not always a flyer.

Herbacious

Having flown Hawaiian recently, I have to say that their "Extra Comfort" seats are well worth the extra $150 or so in cost. Nowhere near as expensive or as flash as AIR's premium economy but actually very adequate for the 8 hours to Honolulu.