sharetrader
Page 49 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359991495491049 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

I was talking to a tea lady and it seems AIR is awash with cash. They have more staff than needed and many of those aren't productive nor have a concept of productivity. There could be real opportunity to extract more value to shareholders by looking at their internal costs.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    They have more staff than needed and many of those aren't productive nor have a concept of productivity.
    Bloody govt department. I thought it was meant to be run commercially.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Thats what happens when you have zillions in the bank ..... even though most of those zillions is prepaid fares

I was talking to a tea lady and it seems AIR is awash with cash. They have more staff than needed and many of those aren't productive nor have a concept of productivity. There could be real opportunity to extract more value to shareholders by looking at their internal costs.
    What a crock of nonense based on nothing more than hearsay.

Air NZ is an extremly well run company. If they sometimes have more people than they need that is because the alternative would be to occassionaly provide a Jetstar level of service. You don't become the world's best airline and attract growing levels of high-margin business in the front cabins by providing crap service.

I call it good long term management and long may it continue.

It seems to have some commercial nouse. It was cheaper to fly to Sydney this weekend than it was to fly to Napier. Like any commercial glorified transport/flying bus operator they always manage to see a good opportunity to gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I guess that depends on how you define "commercial". Some may say that a commercially run business looks after Directors first. You then create a structure that gives the impression of size - because small equals vulnerable. Any good commercial manager knows to surround themselves with sycophants as a means of job security - you get to keep their good ideas while having many hands on a smoking gun when things go wrong. And where you can't get external growth organic growth is always a credible alternative.

I was flying to Oz recently and noticed 4 or 5 Air NZ staff at the international transfers desk most doing nothing just standing around. Then after about 30 mins most of them were busy checking passsengers for US security laws on the evening flights to SFO LAX and LAX-LHR.

It's natural in the aviaton industry that people sometimes are busy sometimes not... I wouldn't draw much conclusions from it. As for the head office staff - my experinces have been great and I think they have a great culture and good expericnced staff. AIR NZ is a company that people want to work for which is great

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    What a crock of nonense based on nothing more than hearsay.
    Well they' had around $20k of my cash over the last couple of months and thats just on internal flights so I know first hand there is good cash flowing in.

Air NZ is an extremely well run company.
    I only fly AIR internally because the competition is rubbish. That does not automatically equate to a well run company. I'm not suggesting they are a poorly run company - what they do they do well - if all you expect is for a bus service running on time in the sky.
    Flights are on time, water is cold, biscuits are easy to say "no" to and Koru is a good way of Sharing The Love by going somewhere else.

If they sometimes have more people than they need that is because the alternative would be to occassionaly provide a Jetstar level of service.
    I'm not suggesting its the front line staff that are getting fat - its the back office wallahs.
    You don't become the world's best airline and attract growing levels of high-margin business in the front cabins by providing crap service.
    AIR aren't the worlds best. Asiana scored that award and AIR got 5th. I haven't been front cabin for a while on AIR but I presume they don't get subjected to the awful rugby focussed emergency instructions. Hearing it once might be worth a chuckle - more than that it is simply irksome. If I hear it one more time I'm asking for a life jacket and a seat next to the exit door.

I call it good long term management and long may it continue.
    I did very nicely out of AIR when they crashed and burned and looking for an opportunity to get back in. That will probably be when they start to cut the fat. They have domestic tied up but I'll be keeping an eye on international where there is more competition.

Veteran novice

Pleased to say my recent experience with Air NZ has been consistently good. Just as well, as I'm still harbouring some residual negativity due to my experience a few years ago when I had to forego a flight due to illness. It was a no-refund fare but I figured that I was at least due a refund of the GST as no goods or services had been provided. Must say, I wasn't entirely sure of my grounds there but I received an assurance that this would be refunded after reference to Head Office. That's when the run around started and I never received a refund or a satisfactory explanation.

So I'm still gradually "forgetting" that but recent experiences have been good in all respects.
    Last edited by macduffy; 20-01-2011 at 03:19 PM.

percy

[QUOTE=minimoke;333662]Well they' had around $20k of my cash over the last couple of months and thats just on internal flights so I know first hand there is good cash flowing in.

That is a lot of flying.!! Were the flights pretty well full or not ?