sharetrader
Page 523 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 2342347351351952052152252352452552652753357362310231523 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Yeah I can imagine this happening.

Providing our shareholders with an opportunity to reinvest dividend payments in the new Gividend platform, which will support organisations addressing social and environmental challenges

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    ...... but I guess every journey starts with a single step.

Thats so right and we have to all of us start to join the dots re our future here. Bio Fuel blend in future maybe/hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    How many of you have read this?

Air NZ Sustainability Report 2015

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/asset...NEW_MEDRES.pdf
    Yes I've skimmed it already and Its certainly an interesting read.
    I guess the starting point is when you burn over 1,000,000,000 litres of aviation fuel annually the morally decent thing to do is to be exploring new technology and new efficiencies wherever possible.
    I totally get where they are coming from in regard to certain things like:-

1. Modernising their fleet with the most efficient aircraft and technology currently available. In this regard I note they're looking to have one of the youngest fleets in the world by FY19 at a remarkable 6.2 year average age.
    The new ATR600's of which they have more than a couple of dozen on order are class leading ultra efficient turboprops. Also as discussed many times AIR were the first airline in the world to order the ultra efficient new 787-9 Dreamliners and will have 9 of them in their fleet by November 2016 which will make them the most prolific wide-bodied type in AIR's fleet. They have three more on order and another six options as well which I expect will be exercised in due course.

2. Retrofitting the latest technology to existing aircraft - Fine examples of this was AIR were first ion the world with the advanced upturned winglet they retrofitted to most of their A320 fleet saving approx. 4% fuel burn and they're kitting out their ATR fleet with the very latest advanced GPS navigational systems that will allow them to follow very tightly controlled and accurate flight paths and use smart and efficient landing approaches, (another $25m investment).

3. Smart technology and apps such as boarding passes on your cell phone, eliminating wastage.

4. Simplifying systems and procedures. Its seems clear management are on a broadly based efficiency drive throughout the business to enhance processes, systems efficiencies and the way they generally do things so the airline runs like a well oiled and efficient Swiss watch.

Its good they're showing leadership and responsibility as much as possible and trying to be as kind to the environment as possible too and its fair to say that when you combine for example the circa 24% extra seat mile efficiency of a Dreamliner with smart flight path's smart approaches e.t.c. it does make a meaningful difference.

Some of their strategies don't resonate with me and are either above my pay grade, too high brow or I ponder whether they really have a satisfactory return on capital invested and yesterday's electric car fleet acquisition is a good example of that but if they don't show sustainability leadership who will ?

The reality though is until mankind finds some clean way to produce the circa 150,000 horsepower required to power an efficient new aircraft like the Dreamliner airlines will be huge polluters there's no getting away from that ugly fact but at least they're doing what they can with all the currently available technology and I certainly respect them for that.

At a personal level, I agree with JT that we all need to take some account of our own environmental footprint. As for us we were early adopters of a hybrid car for my wife's general run-around vehicle and have owned a hybrid for 10 years now and we have lots of trees on our 1 acre bush clad section so I don't feel too guilty enjoying that Hemi powered V8 of mine from time to time
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Some of their strategies don't resonate with me and are either above my pay grade, too high brow or I ponder whether they really have a satisfactory return on capital invested and yesterday's electric car fleet acquisition is a good example of that but if they don't show sustainability leadership who will ?
    With some things the 'feel good' and being thought of highly by the punters is hard quantify the return.
    Some of these things are little more than clever marketing.

Guru

Also as discussed many times AIR were the first airline in the world to order the ultra efficient new 787-9 Dreamliners and will have 9 of them in their fleet by November 2016 which will make them the most prolific wide-bodied type in AIR's fleet. They have three more on order and another six options as well which I expect will be exercised in due course.
    There are 15 777-200/300's currently in the fleet.

Agreed 100% dobby41. The reality is being seen to be as green as possible is good for business because a lot of people care about the environment.

777 - Yes but they list them as separate aircraft types. Their 7 777-300's for example carry 332 pax v only 312 pax for the earlier 200's of which they have 8 and are I understand, somewhat less efficient on the seat mile basis.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11607138

Jetstar finally concede to alter their unfair online trading practices only after the overt threat of litigation.

Guru

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11607138

Jetstar finally concede to alter their unfair online trading practices only after the overt threat of litigation.
    Yep,some of those online booking systems are enough to drive you bonkers (really devious) Air asia was the worst--(not only with insurance (pre ticked) but seats as well . Both you had to undo what they did by default(after you figured it out,.. which was no easy task)

Now back to AIR--change of ticket--we've already figured out that ''Compassionate grounds''cuts no ice-----now its just trying to figure out how ''change of date +price increase'' works.
    Fees--thats easy--Its what they say---increase in price--They seemed to have picked that out of thin air---Its not the price of the ticket when bought(it was on sale)--It doesnt appear to be even the ''normal'' price when bought----Its not the advertised price now(setting aside any sale)---They seemed to have chosen a price higher than any of those--Guess that shows they will do what they can to exploit that sort of situation(like they tried before with the same thing as Jet star,before changing) ..Sorry..No more moral high ground for this chap in the case of this outfit.

http://exploreyourbackyard.co.nz/?ut...rDomesticDOC16

Nice new marketing initiative, explore your own backyard in association with the Department of Conservation...opps is that AIR management appearing to be Greenies again

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    With some things the 'feel good' and being thought of highly by the punters is hard quantify the return.
    Some of these things are little more than clever marketing.
    I would hazard a guess that for the majority of people booking flights how environmental 'friendly' an airline is is way down on the list of what's important when choosing who to fly with.

And if it is important to some I'm sure those people would see this 'clever marketing' for what really is - a cynical way to be seen as being green
    Last edited by winner69; 17-03-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”