sharetrader
Page 645 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 14554559563564164264364464564664764864965569574511451645 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 20184

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Ask them why they have removed ( or not put in...) the foot rests in the new Economy class seats ..... I was very disappointed and after traveling back fro uk the back of my legs were throbbing. .....
    I am just the opposite. I have fairly long legs, and I am pleased that the foot rests have been removed. Much more leg room to stretch out a bit.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I am just the opposite. I have fairly long legs, and I am pleased that the foot rests have been removed. Much more leg room to stretch out a bit.
    Ditto on that one. I always hated that the footrests got in the way of being able to stretch out the legs. That said, I normally take an aisle seat and go walkabout quite a lot so the DVT is not an issue as far as I am concerned.

IMO

Int development. Google RPT-UPDATE1-Eight Asian budget carriers share booking platforms in landmark pact

Includes Virgin Aus's Tiger Airways Aust
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 17-05-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Why $3 will never be a sustainable price for AIR

Insight 1: The top 10 or so shareholders are the ones who influence medium to long term price movements. Traders create the short term noise - the day to day ups and downs.

Insight 2: In the NBR article somebody posted last week it mentioned one analyst who pointed out that airlines are a volatile industry where share price appreciation was relatively rare - and suggesting you couldn't begrudge anybody (including management) selling out when the price appears to be at a cyclical high. Those that do so have an appreciation of how cyclical stocks (esp airlines) behave

Insight 3: While walking around Lake Hayes the other day had a chat with a retired fund manager. He made the point that when the government sold a lot at $1.65 the price was probably a bit on the light side but not by much. He went on to say that Air NZ future strategy and pans were well known at that time and these were implicitly priced in to the $1.65 they got. All thats changed since is cheaper fuel which has lead to more competition but net net positive for Air NZ, but not a long term positive meaning that about $1.80 to $2.00 is about the 'right price' today.
    He knew of some funds/instos who bought at the $1.65 and have cashed in at the high recent prices. His sage advice was 'winner, airline stocks can be very rewarding but only buy at the bottom of the inevitable cycle and never never buy near the top' (short term trading doesn't count)

So 1 and 2 and 3 together says that AIr NZ share price is heading down to a cyclical low over the next year or so but short term 'traders' will create some dips and spikes upward (we may even see $3 again). It does seem that airline stocks are a different beast than other stocks and medium to long term the price is driven by the sentiment of the larger shareholders (government excluded)

I only been interested in airline stocks recently after ignoring them for decades. I now see why not a good long term investment .....but heck you can have fun doing short term trading (unless caught out holding the day the plane crashes)77
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Why $3 will never be a sustainable price for AIR

Insight 1: The top 10 or so shareholders are the ones who influence medium to long term price movements. Traders create the short term noise - the day to day ups and downs.

Insight 2: In the NBR article somebody posted last week it mentioned one analyst who pointed out that airlines are a volatile industry where share price appreciation was relatively rare - and suggesting you couldn't begrudge anybody (including management) selling out when the price appears to be at a cyclical high. Those that do so have an appreciation of how cyclical stocks (esp airlines) behave

Insight 3: While walking around Lake Hayes the other day had a chat with a retired fund manager. He made the point that when the government sold a lot at $1.65 the price was probably a bit on the light side but not by much. He went on to say that Air NZ future strategy and pans were well known at that time and these were implicitly priced in to the $1.65 they got. All thats changed since is cheaper fuel which has lead to more competition but net net positive for Air NZ, but not a long term positive meaning that about $1.80 to $2.00 is about the 'right price' today.
    He knew of some funds/instos who bought at the $1.65 and have cashed in at the high recent prices. His sage advice was 'winner, airline stocks can be very rewarding but only buy at the bottom of the inevitable cycle and never never buy near the top' (short term trading doesn't count)

So 1 and 2 and 3 together says that AIr NZ share price is heading down to a cyclical low over the next year or so but short term 'traders' will create some dips and spikes upward (we may even see $3 again). It does seem that airline stocks are a different beast than other stocks and medium to long term the price is driven by the sentiment of the larger shareholders (government excluded)

I only been interested in airline stocks recently after ignoring them for decades. I now see why not a good long term investment .....but heck you can have fun doing short term trading (unless caught out holding the day the plane crashes)77
    Insights 1 and 2 says it for me and with professional accountants throwing up all over the forum it's not wonder I have been uncomfortable holding AIR.

I have been in balls deep (technical term) for a period of 18 months and the only way I have managed a satisfactory return is by trading plus dividends.

I have a complete lack of confidence in any sort of predictability with AIR.
    That does not suit this investor.

So for those reasons I'm out and have been for a while.
    h2

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    Insights 1 and 2 says it for me and with professional accountants throwing up all over the forum it's not wonder I have been uncomfortable holding AIR.

I have been in balls deep (technical term) for a period of 18 months and the only way I have managed a satisfactory return is by trading plus dividends.

I have a complete lack of confidence in any sort of predictability with AIR.
    That does not suit this investor.

So for those reasons I'm out and have been for a while.
    That's how cyclicals, esp airlines, work

Talking of predictability - that unnamed analyst in the NBR story about AIR posted said “I don’t think this management team or any airline management have a strong ability to forecast the future,”
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Talking of predictability - that unnamed analyst in the NBR story about AIR posted said “I don’t think this management team or any airline management have a strong ability to forecast the future,”
    Ouch!

That does seem to be the way with airlines: either the oil price is too high or there is too much competition. We've just transitioned from one of those states to the other, causing a brief interlude of profit.

I only been interested in airline stocks recently after ignoring them for decades. I now see why not a good long term investment .....
    Yes, unless you're a trader you're better off holding growth companies, like Ryman, than cyclicals - at least this far from the bottom of the cycle

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Int development. Google RPT-UPDATE1-Eight Asian budget carriers share booking platforms in landmark pact

Includes Virgin Aus's Tiger Airways Aust
    The goal, instead, is to bring together smaller airlines as an alternative to the AirAsia and Jetstar branded groups across the region, according to people in the industry.In a single transaction, travellers can select seats, meals and baggage allowances across the websites.
    But the cooperation will not be as extensive as full-service partnerships such as Star Alliance, Oneworld and SkyTeam. Those programmes feature extensive codes haring agreements, access to a network of waiting lounges and the ability to redeem points on partner flights.
    Deeper partnerships including cooperation across frequent flyer programmes, joint sales and marketing, and coordination on network and prices requires regulatory approval, and are not on the cards, Wilson said.
    Asian budget carriers are looking to take advantage of a travel boom in the region, placing orders for several hundred aircraft from Airbus Group SE and Boeing Co.
    Boeing's 2015 global market outlook showed Asian low-cost carriers generated average annual growth of 24.5 percent over the previous decade. By comparison, European peers grew 13.4 percent.
    The U.S. planemaker also forecast 100 million new passengers entering the Asian market annually for the foreseeable future, creating demand in the next 20 years for 10,370 single-aisle planes such as Boeing's 737 and Airbus' A320. (Reporting by Siva Govindasamy;

Advanced Member

Must agree with the analyst.

Reported that Emirates was a dubious one third full HK to Dubai .. on 9/05/16

I now see Emirates offering NZ to Singapore for $390 RETURN..

Is AIR going to match that ???

Disc. Not a holder.