sharetrader
Page 892 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 39279284288288888989089189289389489589690294299213921892 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,920 of 20184

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

IMO

Im down a few cents on my AIR shares or even depending whether I've received 3 or 4 divs.Whats your situ couta; the special div certainly has helped us all? Still in the Red, how much?Sure is a cyclical play with many moving parts.

I agree with stop loss re that peter lynch said about a loss being a loss even if not crystallised, at this point in time.My consistent advice to newbies is to NEVER allow yourself to be influenced by anyone no matter what they say and how often they say it..Always make an informed opinion, read a lot; try and find neutral info from many sources. And remember we humans can fall in to the trap of investor bias; that is; if we have stake in something we focus on the positives to support our investments and neglect anything negative or alternative.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Couta you missed something there , Nokia and Kodak were "Blue Chip" Both the biggest companies in their field in their day ....
    Also remind us again why the Govt has a majority stake in Air NZ ....
    My motivation for the post is to make novice investors etc aware of the risks of this sort of strategy . A lot of people logged in here don't contribute , let alone the people that are just watching not even signed up .......
    Id like to elaborate,if I may...Many years ago when i first discovered Share trader,I thought all my Christmas's had come at once.I was obviously green but i thought ''here I have inside knowledge of what the clued in, Share market investors know (probably with inside info to help with their vast knowledge! Why should I pay a bunch of $$ to sign up for some share advice news letter--its all right here!......
    Well,we all know how wrong that was. There is some good,some not so good,and some dangerous posters around.But the point is there are most likely others who may be in the same boat..tuning in for the first time.
    Now of course some will just ''trash'' a share,sometimes for personal gain,and I can see how that rubs the wrong way..but Imo a bit of caution when things get a little out of hand is not a bad thing.
    I think if anyone is in the red on a share ,that has to be faced,and accepted--You may break even or gain if the share goes up,but right now your in the red,thats reality--the share may still have potential...but right now,your down.
    All investors have different ways of living with that,but promoting that your not down till you sell can be a dangerous state of mind and its worth pointing that out to new investors.
    IMO we are entering an era, where the ''buy and hold'' strategy may be severely tested (with the share market in general) but that, alas is just my opinion. (something to research ,rather than acted on ,newbies)

But then again,maybe there are'nt any newbies around,and we are just talking to ourselves
    Last edited by skid; 21-09-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Both Nokia and Kodak faced new technology disrupting their business model (both were also too slow to adapt to the change). Question: does AirNZ face similar challenges?

Dis don't hold
    Maybe not new technologies, though modern media are reducing the need for air travel.

More important however is that air travel is turning more and more into a commodity with price being the most important decision criteria for customers. AIR has similar problems as Fonterra - while milk powder needs to comply with stringent safety standards (as passenger planes), customers are not prepared to pay any more for good quality or good safety - just expect this as a given.

AIR have no moat whatsoever and will (as all other carriers) watch dropping margins over the years to come. Not a good situation to be in if you promised your share holders a constant flow of dividends, but than - so have others and broken their promises. AIR will be no exception.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

FWIW there's at least one newbie here!

I have a relatively small holding in AIR, and I've been watching the SP for the past week now and trying to decide whether this is a good time to top up and average down, or whether to resist the temptation to "throw good money after bad". Very much appreciating the differing viewpoints here, but rest assured whatever I decide will be MY decision alone for which I will take full responsibility.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread, please keep them up!
    Last edited by oldtech; 21-09-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Banned

I've got far too much work to catch up on at the moment to be posting so must stop. Some non holders of this stock add value whilst others are just out to provoke a response and cause dissent IMO. I put posts such as #8908 in the latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I've got far too much work to catch up on at the moment to be posting so must stop. Some non holders of this stock add value whilst others are just out to provoke a response and cause dissent IMO. I put posts such as #8908 in the latter category.
    yes provoke a response, no malice intended just wanted too see how its going - by the way I own air
    one step ahead of the herd

I bought more today at 190 and I'm relaxed But I'm not yet on the div stripping of it, just averaging down folks.

Moderated user

I know this forum is Share"trader", but there are 5 ways my (mainly income for retirement) portfolio grows: high div yield, div growth, SP appreciation, reinvesting all divs for compound growth - and making regular contributions as able. Reading the avail data I'm picking AIR will be able to maintain forecast div at least for a few yrs thru all parts of cycle - barring major disasters that could happen to any company. So I don't really mind if SP stays low for 10 months or so until AIR confirms the 20c div. Just more opportunity to buy more high yield cheaply on the dips & compound total return over time. Good luck to all anyway, whatever strategy you're employing
    Last edited by Gringo; 21-09-2016 at 05:09 PM.

IMO

FWIW 4traders have 6 Analysts all with a hold rating and av target price $2.20 atm
    Craigs a hold and t/p $2.17

Advanced Member

Good chance to top up some more tonight at these lower prices.