sharetrader
Page 899 of 2018 FirstFirst ... 39979984988989589689789889990090190290390994999913991899 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 20178

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

I have never followed on dividends just tried to gain in capital. I have made errors in air when I sold at $1.70. I have alway heard never marry an airline, just date one and dump it over time. Warren buffet used to spend hours on the phone with a friend to discourage him from investing in airlines........... Well a friend told me this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    .....Warren buffet used to spend hours on the phone with a friend to discourage him from investing in airlines....
    "Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a far-sighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favour by shooting Orville down."

Warren Buffett

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Two hours on the AIR thread and no answers, go figure! No TA would buy into this down trend, who knows how long it might go on for, or who has the resources and book profits to keep on selling at market? Maybe check out the TA thread, or some comments here about price supports. Not saying your strategy is flawed, just suggesting there are more obvious buy in opportunities if the price drifts lower depending on risk tolerance, right now it is in limbo land and a severe down trend, for new capital entry. Patience could be your friend, while at the moment the AIR price is sagging and in between any clear price support.
    Yeah, bit quieter without Couta and Roger....

Yep, I am in no hurry to double down, I have been sitting back for over a month now waiting for the right time and will continue to wait, the weakness AIR is showing is of significance and I know some predicted it. I have held off getting more on a number of occasions but am surprised to see the SP get as low as it is, back in the red now including divvy but still think they will maintain a decent divvy yield over the next few years and playing a long game.

The Kid

Good article by Chris Adams on the sell down of Air NZ shares by executives in April and early May. Lesson learnt. Just returned from a conference in Spain, didn't fly Air NZ.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11713888

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=IAK;637932]Good article by Chris Adams on the sell down of Air NZ shares by executives in April and early May. Lesson learnt. Just returned from a conference in Spain, didn't fly Air NZ.
    So when do you think they will start to buy back in? Maybe 1.85? I'm still in the green $7,330 including divs. and have already started buying in using my plan B action. My theory is when the div chasers have got their divs out of all the other div payers lately, then they will start piling back into AIR with 11%+ yld. Also AIR agm on the 30/9/16, might be a little gain before then.

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Good article by Chris Adams on the sell down of Air NZ shares by executives in April and early May. Lesson learnt. Just returned from a conference in Spain, didn't fly Air NZ.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11713888
    Great article thanks IAK. 2 shares from my portfolio AIR & NZR are in the worst 3 performers Just as well I've diversified but it still doesn't look very pretty on my dashboard..... I think I'll continue to diversify into other stocks rather than average down on these 2 as they'll no doubt continue to pay divvies and being cyclical stocks - they should come back at some point (he says hopefully).

Veteran novice

[QUOTE=see weed;637947]
    Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    So when do you think they will start to buy back in? Maybe 1.85? I'm still in the green $7,330 including divs. and have already started buying in using my plan B action. My theory is when the div chasers have got their divs out of all the other div payers lately, then they will start piling back into AIR with 11%+ yld. Also AIR agm on the 30/9/16, might be a little gain before then.
    Or maybe they'll just wait for a few more Performance Shares to accrue?

Advanced Member

Whatever they do you can be sure it will be for the benefit of the directors and not the shareholders.
    Does anyone want to make a proposal at the next agm that all bonus shares allocated must be held for 10 years before they can be sold?

My opinion to a degree as well - sw, they seem pretty confident that level of dividend can be maintained, you would think that an 11% return would not stay around long for a company such as AIR, yes it is an airline but 11% - seems to high a return for the risk - given 51% owned by NZ Govt. Therefore as I have said before one must change either the return (sp increase or the dividend reduced)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    My opinion to a degree as well - sw, they seem pretty confident that level of dividend can be maintained,
    The thing is though, how long can it be maintained for? 2 years, 3 years? 5 years? Then what? What if they make a loss after 2 years.... I guess its all these variables that drive the share price. I would not be buying just because management is saying a dividend is sustainable. Did TEL now SPK, not pay about 4 divs of 10 cents imputed at one stage.... when the SP was $9. Buying just for high div yield can be good but it does come with its risks.
    That said, I normally try and invest in companies that have good dividend paying prospects but also those that I can see appreciate through organic growth in future....