sharetrader
Page 939 of 2018 FirstFirst ... 439839889929935936937938939940941942943949989103914391939 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,390 of 20178

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

default is 15/page.

Post #3 is Buffet's advice on airlines as well.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again [in differt words].

Playing with Air New Zealand stocks is for the brave and the foolhardy only. The risks are high and the rewards low.
    There it is the prequel vapour tigger ghost post from 2004. There are prob 100's of losers on here including me who wish that p/t had refreshed that every 30 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    There it is the prequel vapour tigger ghost post from 2004. There are prob 100's of losers on here including me who wish that p/t had refreshed that every 30 posts.
    The sad part about AIR NZ is unless I go back and risk more money I doubt I'll ever make what I've lost back! $2.71 seems like a lifetime ago, yet it was less than 4 months. Think I'll hold on tight for the next couple of years and see what happens. Still not nice to see so far in the red!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    The sad part about AIR NZ is unless I go back and risk more money I doubt I'll ever make what I've lost back! $2.71 seems like a lifetime ago, yet it was less than 4 months. Think I'll hold on tight for the next couple of years and see what happens. Still not nice to see so far in the red!
    As you have highlighted even 4 months seems like a lifetime ago and being a cyclical stock a lot can happen over the period of a few years, so there is every chance it will get to $2.71 again if your prepared to wait, and whilst waiting you get all those nice divvies along the way. At least you have your money In a company with a 76 year history, not some whizz bang tech stock whose products/services may never make it or survive the long haul.

I am certainly with you on the "nice divvies" Couta.
    All my stocks pay dividends but Air is 20% of my portfolio and over the last year has produced 60% of my dividends

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    As you have highlighted even 4 months seems like a lifetime ago and being a cyclical stock a lot can happen over the period of a few years, so there is every chance it will get to $2.71 again if your prepared to wait, and whilst waiting you get all those nice divvies along the way. At least you have your money In a company with a 76 year history, not some whizz bang tech stock whose products/services may never make it or survive the long haul.
    Well said mate and not to forget it made money throughout the GFC unlike many other airlines.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Actually there are 626 pages and on view numbers Air comes in 4th behind, Peb/HBL and Xro, Peb is the clear winner by a long distance plane flight on both counts, so obviously Air needs a bit more pumping to stay in the race.
    314 pages for me.So an easy way to avoid losing money is to avoid the stocks with the most pages. HBL excepted s it was relentlessly attacked as a risky finance company and not a quality bank which has had a great performance, double bagger and free carried for many shareholders, whereas AIR which has only broken through $3 once before way back in 2007 was spruiked right up to the top with" back up the truck" type statements in the $2.90's. The div for AIR is great atm but thats a bit of a damp squib for holders, myself included with the s/p weak and looking like on the downward path for another 5/7 year cycle, hope I'm wrong there.

The prophets of doom say we're just starting a long cycle downwards, most holders are fully cognisant of the new more competitive environment and who can say for sure what conditions will exist in the industry in FY18 and beyond ? Time will tell. What we know for sure is they have a young streamlined fuel efficient fleet, a very strong franchise in N.Z., a good reputation, strong and well respected management, highly intelligent and well respected directors and the support of millions of Kiwi's, many of whom are very parochial in their choice they make of their service provider.

One things for sure though, please keep your seatbelt firmly fastened as unexpected turbulence can strike at any time !
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I am close to doubling down, nearly did so last couple of days but just not sure it hasn't got more downward pressure to come, the volumes are high and still indicating to me there are no shortage of sellers which in reality probably means I still have some time to sit back and see what happens.

I think the FA side of things is capable of maintaining a decent divvy going forward even if its not in the 10-15% range. Longer term it makes sense but I am keen on buying in as cheap as I can to mitigate the risk of more capitol erosion in the short term. I am a believer and think AIR is well placed mainly due to its domestic market and when fuel does get more expensive they are well placed to maintain routes with economical planes than a lot of the competition coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    an easy way to avoid losing money is to avoid the stocks with the most pages.
    Awesome new strategy.