sharetrader
Page 960 of 2018 FirstFirst ... 4608609109509569579589599609619629639649701010106014601960 ... LastLast
Results 9,591 to 9,600 of 20178

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

Clinton and Trump are just a figure head, just like Reagan, sort of like a show pony. The rest of the pawns will advise/make all the decisions while the ponies fly around being show ponies with 1000s of support staff hopefully on AIR if they ever come to NZ for a ski trip or geyser watch. Life goes on, with people who can't afford to fly, will still fly, like catching a bus. Not like the old days when it was just for the well off. And we will still collect divs.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Clinton and Trump are just a figure head, just like Reagan, sort of like a show pony. The rest of the pawns will advise/make all the decisions while the ponies fly around being show ponies with 1000s of support staff hopefully on AIR if they ever come to NZ for a ski trip or geyser watch. Life goes on, with people who can't afford to fly, will still fly, like catching a bus. Not like the old days when it was just for the well off. And we will still collect divs.
    Nevertheless he can still do alot of damage---The USA would have major trust issues which is not good for the leading economy

Meanwhile if that happens people will still fly ,but a much bigger % will go with more competitive airlines (unless AIR becomes much more competitive--which they will ,because they will have to --that then affects the balance sheet,and your precious div.) But of course there are all sorts of ''maybes'' involved in that scenario (just like all your predictions) scary times

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hilliary Clinton at $1.36 on Centrebet in Australia so she's NO certainty to win, that's for sure. I remember when Team N.Z. had won 8 races in the America's cup and looked like a certainty to win it. The N.Z. TAB had them at $1.01 and we all thought it was a certainty they would win the ninth race and take the America's cup didn't we !...so stranger things have happened in terms of the outside horse winning a two horse race.

If Trump gets in we are basically in unchartered waters and at the least we will have a new era of uncertainty.
    That said AIR are a very well managed company with moderate debt so are well positioned to meet any challenges going forward.
    This FBI thing reminds me of that race team NZ should have won(with the low wind) but it didnt count because of the time limit (so it would be good for TV in terms of fitting time slots)--They were by no means becalmed

If Hillary loses it will be pretty hard not to point the finger at the FBI---its a real shame Trumps 13yo rape victum lost her nerve to speak out.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    This FBI thing reminds me of that race team NZ should have won(with the low wind) but it didnt count because of the time limit (so it would be good for TV in terms of fitting time slots)--They were by no means becalmed

If Hillary loses it will be pretty hard not to point the finger at the FBI---its a real shame Trumps 13yo rape victum lost her nerve to speak out.
    .. or lost her nerve to publicly lie perhaps.

Skid, yeah I remember that race very well. Pure frustration... Gents may I respectfully suggest that perhaps we should move any further discussion on Trump to either the off market section where there's a thread on the U.S. election http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...sidential-Race or the black Monday thread in this section to discuss market impact as it sure will be black if Trump wins, (albeit not a Monday)
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-11-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I wonder if Air would be better off not hedging oil prices at all. They'd have saved a bundle over the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I wonder if Air would be better off not hedging oil prices at all. They'd have saved a bundle over the last few months.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Who would have precited that a presidential election in the US would potentially have such a significant impact on the markets? Then again, a Clinton win will see markets re-stabilise and things return to a relatively normal state, and if AirNZ had changed their hedging position this could have proven financially more detrimental than maintaining the status quo.

percy

I would expect a business such as an airline, whose forward sales make up a good part of their income, would need to protect their forward costs as much as possible.So hedging would be wise.
    Last edited by percy; 05-11-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I would expect a business such as an airline, whose forward sales much up a good part of their income, would need to protect their forward costs as much as possible.So hedging would be wise.
    And so they do. I suspect the argument is really around what level of hedging is appropriate, to which there is no definitive answer.

Guru

It is my understanding that the hedging is calculated with a formula that is dependant on forward bookings.