sharetrader
Page 987 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 4878879379779839849859869879889899909919971037108714871987 ... LastLast
Results 9,861 to 9,870 of 20182

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Red face The things that happen in the Airline Industry

Quote Originally Posted by reacher View Post
    ...and it is not uncommon for Emirate to charter a cargo plane following an A380 just to take passenger luggage!...
    I presume you were also told that the planes are able to fly such long distances as Auckland - Dubai because they do inflight refuelling?

AIR have no A380s.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    I presume you were also told that the planes are able to fly such long distances as Auckland - Dubai because they do inflight refuelling?

AIR have no A380s.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Probably go the fly-through in the cloud and pick up the KFC for dinner as well
    Last edited by winner69; 07-12-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    A cargo plane following along behind with luggage .........sounds like one of those taxi shuttles with a trailer for the bags
    You are on to a winner Winner! They could tow a glider!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_glider

Quote Originally Posted by reacher View Post
    Speaking to a pilot friend who recently left his job flying with Emirates, the A380's struggle to make a profit because although they can sell the extra seats, they lose revenue on cargo. The baggage and cargo hold isn't as large per passenger as the 777 or similar, and it is not uncommon for Emirate to charter a cargo plane following an A380 just to take passenger luggage!

This, and the double maintenance expense of 4 engines are the reason why airlines are cancelling orders. Its also a pig of a plane to fly, so I am told...
    Cargo capacity on the A380 depends upon the interior configuration chosen by the purchaser. Lower crew rest areas significantly affect the amount of cargo that can be handled, but overall the passenger version of the A380 was not designed to be a major cargo carrier. Add into the mix falling cargo yields, and you can see why EK made the decision to focus on passenger yields for the A380. Horses for courses.

As for the charter flights tailing the A380, he's taking the proverbial.

The bottom line is that the A380 doesn't suite AirNZ's market, but it does other airlines. Some have purchased the aircraft and have applied it to sectors that it is not suited, for others it is working very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post

AIR have no A380s.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Funny you should say that. Every 30 minutes in an A380 an alarm sounds in the cockpit reminding the pilot to go through fuel management procedure. This involves balancing the tanks in the body, of which there are multiple, and topping up the tanks in the wings, where the engines draw fuel from.

There was an article in the herald recently about pilots asleep in the air. Personally I am much more comfortable with them resting in a Boeing and managing only a couple of fuel pump switches, than flustered pilots trying to manage the pitch of an aircraft due to fuel weight distribution every 30 minute.

... sorry to go so off topic

Regarding A380's V 777's and Emirates

I understand high air temperatures at takeoff can adversely effect takeoff weight. An aircraft taking of from Dubai where air temperatures of 50c are not uncommon are punished by this less if they have four engines instead of two. This may explain Emirates greater enthusiasm for the A380 than other airlines.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up One Day I'll Fly Away

SP $2.17 at time of posting less 20 minutes delay which I am sure that Air New Zealand never do because they always leave on time.

Emirates have a younger fleet than Air New Zealand

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Regarding A380's V 777's and Emirates

I understand high air temperatures at takeoff can adversely effect takeoff weight. An aircraft taking of from Dubai where air temperatures of 50c are not uncommon are punished by this less if they have four engines instead of two. This may explain Emirates greater enthusiasm for the A380 than other airlines.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Not really a factor in choice of four engines as opposed to two. They have longer runways for the temps bearing in mind that lift from the wings is also reduced with reduce air density/temps. Their choice of A380's was more about max capacity of seats per govt reciprocated operating approvals.

I wonder what the perfect price of a barrel of jet fuel is for Air NZ. Not so low as to encourage every Tom Dick and Harry to fly here but not so high to really blow out operating costs.

No need for an answer. Onto to my third pint of ale and just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I wonder what the perfect price of a barrel of jet fuel is for Air NZ. Not so low as to encourage every Tom Dick and Harry to fly here but not so high to really blow out operating costs.

No need for an answer. Onto to my third pint of ale and just thinking out loud.
    I ran it through HAL, and of course the answer was 42