sharetrader
Page 999 of 1007 FirstFirst ... 4998999499899959969979989991000100110021003 ... LastLast
Results 14,971 to 14,985 of 15091

Thread: AIR NZ

  1. #14971
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...016/310242.pdf
    Good load factor of nearly 85%, slightly disappointing RASK. Disc: Hold modest position for dividend yield.
    RASK down 1% not that bad when ASK up nearly 5%

    The R which really matter up heaps
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  2. #14972
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Big announcement from AIR today, canceling its LAX-LHR route and introducing Auckland-New York direct. I am not surprised as AIR has not been competitive in prices across the Atlantic for several years. Great news to get a direct flight to NYC https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12278865

  3. #14973
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Of the half dozen times I've been direct into LA and out again - last time a couple of weeks ago (twice continued onto London direct and returned the same way) never had a problem with LA airport, no more than any other airport - must have been lucky! Even on domestic US flights have to remove your shoes etc - except if you are under 17 I think it was
    It is a bit quicker, same plane, no long stop overs etc, but do get a break getting off and on again - can be a pain, however obviously not everyone thinks the same.
    In saying all that, I would now not fly any of those long flights all in one go unless I really had to - 12-13 hrs max with a stopover for a day or two, won't have any choice if going to London/Europe from this time next year in any event, so either fly to LA then pick up another flight, of fly east with a stop over in Singapore or the like

  4. #14974
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Of the half dozen times I've been direct into LA and out again - last time a couple of weeks ago (twice continued onto London direct and returned the same way) never had a problem with LA airport, no more than any other airport - must have been lucky! Even on domestic US flights have to remove your shoes etc - except if you are under 17 I think it was
    It is a bit quicker, same plane, no long stop overs etc, but do get a break getting off and on again - can be a pain, however obviously not everyone thinks the same.
    In saying all that, I would now not fly any of those long flights all in one go unless I really had to - 12-13 hrs max with a stopover for a day or two, won't have any choice if going to London/Europe from this time next year in any event, so either fly to LA then pick up another flight, of fly east with a stop over in Singapore or the like
    Would say that you've been lucky Jay! I've lost my bag through LAX when transiting, another time been very very very close to missing that London flight transiting through LAX and last time we went through there in May, took my wife and daughter over 3 hours to clear customs. Many people just try to avoid LAX if they can.

    I think habits and demand has likely changed. Many people instead of flying to London want to fly into continental European cities, and also have a range of other stopover cities/experiences. AIR just can't match the network of flights and destinations provided for by Singapore or Emirates etc.

  5. #14975
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Wonder how much they have sold the LHR 1 landing spot for or if they have leased it out ? Think these prime spots worth something like 20 mio quid.
    Last edited by stoploss; 23-10-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: s/p

  6. #14976
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    19

    Default

    More significantly this is AKL-LHR after over 30 years can no longer fly to the mother country on AIR metal. There goes 120 crew and 25 sales jobs out of London.

  7. #14977
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    More significantly this is AKL-LHR after over 30 years can no longer fly to the mother country on AIR metal. There goes 120 crew and 25 sales jobs out of London.
    If it was losing money why persevere for the sake of the pride of flying a big bird into Heathrow. The
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  8. #14978
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    13,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    More significantly this is AKL-LHR after over 30 years can no longer fly to the mother country on AIR metal. There goes 120 crew and 25 sales jobs out of London.
    New service flying direct Auckland to New York commences at the same time, (October 2020), 3 times a week. http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/c...s-at-risk.html
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  9. #14979
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    If it was losing money why persevere for the sake of the pride of flying a big bird into Heathrow. The
    Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs

  10. #14980
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs
    UK is rapidly becoming less important as a trading partner, and potentially less so after Brexit. Maybe seeing the writing on the wall - and less travelers at the sharp end

  11. #14981
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    13,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Exactly, AIR are in the business of making money not providing sentimental tethers to the old world. Their focus is to facilitate access to high value customers both to the airline and NZ. American's provide far more value per seat than Kiwis doing their OE. In addition, there is far more value for them in and out of NZ hubs
    Agreed. Concentrating on pacific rim destinations makes good common sense.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  12. #14982
    Go The Warriors "This Year!"
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Wasn't the whole point and justification for flying to Houston about opening up the East coast it the states using Houston as a hub?
    That seems to have been forgotten about now... Hope this new flight actually adds value and doesn't just cannibalise existing routes.
    I imagine there will be no cargo revenue also.. As these 787's will be payload restricted.

  13. #14983
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Wasn't the whole point and justification for flying to Houston about opening up the East coast it the states using Houston as a hub?
    That seems to have been forgotten about now... Hope this new flight actually adds value and doesn't just cannibalise existing routes.
    I imagine there will be no cargo revenue also.. As these 787's will be payload restricted.
    ...buts it cool flying to the Big Apple

    Symbolic
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  14. #14984
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Would say that you've been lucky Jay! I've lost my bag through LAX when transiting, another time been very very very close to missing that London flight transiting through LAX and last time we went through there in May, took my wife and daughter over 3 hours to clear customs. Many people just try to avoid LAX if they can.

    I think habits and demand has likely changed. Many people instead of flying to London want to fly into continental European cities, and also have a range of other stopover cities/experiences. AIR just can't match the network of flights and destinations provided for by Singapore or Emirates etc.
    Agree. Singapore, Emirates & Qatar are top airlines flying out of Auck or Chc. Its so painless transiting in Sing, Dubai or Doha & connections to dozens of European & African destinations.
    LAX just doesn't compare, US transit is primal in contrast.

  15. #14985
    Go The Warriors "This Year!"
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...buts it cool flying to the Big Apple

    Symbolic
    I thought London was Symbolic too???
    Oh well...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •