sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How many direct holdings in a portfolio

I have over 40 different companies in my Australasian component of my portfolio. I think this is far too many. What is the optimum number for direct share holdings?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Exclamation If you ain't going to say why

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    I have over 40 different companies in my Australasian component of my portfolio. I think this is far too many. What is the optimum number for direct share holdings?

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

somewhere between 18 and 25 is about the optimal amount.
    Diversification Capture.JPG
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Banned

I hold 3 currently and not interested in holding many more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I hold 3 currently and not interested in holding many more than that.
    says the undisputed champion of non diversification ...

Its kind of like being a climate change denier, some people see the weather getting warmer, some getting colder, it depends where you are.
    But science, says that diversification is the only free lunch. And the amount of free lunch depends on how many stocks you hold. The reason its not ∞ is because that is cumbersome and marginal returns are diminishing so a healthy balance says 18 -25.
    42 is probably too many, but 3 is definitely not enough , though even with 3 there a significant decrease in risk from holding only one stock. But there is definitely less risk (for no decrease in expected return, and marginal extra effort) by holding a few extra shares in the portfolio.

thanks for the comments, I do think 40 is too many, you get to the stage where you might as well hold an index fund

percy

My wife's portfolio is made as follows.11 high conviction NZ listed companies,1 Unlisted company,and 1 traded via the company,and 1 DD [dead duck] in Aussie..
    My portfolio is made up of 10 NZ listed companies,1 unlisted company and 1 traded via the company.In Aussie I have 3 reasonable holdings,6 smaller holdings and 15 high risk and 6 DDs.
    We both hold 6 of the high conviction NZ stocks,and we both hold the unlisted stock,and the one traded via the company.
    I run our portfolios with large holdings in high conviction companies,smaller amounts in companies that appear to be worth while, and very small amounts in very higher risk companies.
    So about 65% in high conviction companies, and about 25% in companies that look worthwhile,and approx 10% in higher risk companies.
    I achieve good dividends and solid share price growth from the high convicton and worthwhile companies, and have some serious fun with high risk ones,.!
    My broker says I am very conservative with my wife's portfolio, and rather aggressive with my own.!
    Last edited by percy; 29-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    My portfolio is made up of 10 NZ listed companies,1 unlisted company and 1 traded via the company.In Aussie I have 3 reasonable holdings,6 smaller holdings and 15 high risk and 6 DDs.
    Thats about 42 hahaha Paper Tiger was right !

Veteran novice

There's an academic paper somewhere about diversification and the benefits thereof. As peat states, it is the only free lunch but there is an optimal number of stocks beyond which the additional benefit of a further stock becomes practically nil. From memory, it's surprisingly low, somewhere in the 10-15 band if I remember correctly. I know that I'm well past that point but then my portfolio is more a collection that a scientifically assembled portfolio!

PS I rather like the term "high conviction stocks". ll mine are such!

Last edited by macduffy; 30-03-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Peat, I know portfolio diversification is all about risk management but where's the consideration of returns in this discussion?

Say 2 theoretical portfolios - one of 5 stocks returning 20% with a STDEV of 30% and another of 20 stocks with a STDEV returning 7% with a STDEVs of 20% (STDEV roughly from your chart)

I know which portfolio I'd rather have

But then again it's not as simple as that eh
    Last edited by winner69; 30-03-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”