sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found this in a KPMG article, which backs up what has been said so far. Pity the IRD haven't made it easy to find on their website, but I guess their 2018 calculator will turn up in due course. Last year I think it was about early July, leaving less than a week to complete that part of the tax return so it could be filed on time.

Australian listed share exemptionFrom 1 April 2017, the exemption from the Foreign Investment Fund rules for certain Australian listed shares – Australian resident companies on the ASX All Ordinaries index – will be extended to all shares listed on the ASX.
    The exemption also requires consideration of whether the share is in a “company” (as defined for Australian tax purposes), tax resident in Australia, and excludes stapled securities. Therefore, care will need to be taken when applying this wider exemption.

I think you're right Xerof.
    Basically any asx listed stock that shows franking credits is exempt from the FIF rules from 1.4.17, except for stapled securities. For verification see the Income Tax Act and IRD website:
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...tml#DLM1515516
    http://www.ird.govt.nz/toii/fif/how-...xemptions.html

To double check a company, see the IRD's "2017 and later" super user-friendly tool at http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/t...calc-2017.html (it seems to be uptodate but I wouldn't guarantee it)
    Last edited by DarkHorse; 15-06-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Yes it is now up to date, just plug in the most recent tax year and check all your shares. All my shares are now exempt, except one which is registered in Bermuda, no NO MORE FIF returns for me. YAY

Advanced Member

It is about time they upped the 50k limit, been stuck there for years. 100k would be more appropriate, or better still get rid of it all together for anything listed in oz

I got shares in Nab and it pays 99 cents dividends per share. Does this exemption mean I don't have to pay tax on my dividends?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by younga View Post
    I got shares in Nab and it pays 99 cents dividends per share. Does this exemption mean I don't have to pay tax on my dividends?
    No it means you are exempt from FIF rules. You still pay tax on your NAB dividend. Ie that 99 cents has to be declared under foreign income or dividends.