sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You could try google 'translator" if that was a bit much for you LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Thanks to all for your thoughts..yes its the compounding factor which is hard to understand.. If I take out the 20,000 and can get a better gross than 5.3% on that 20,000 then this surely has to compound faster than the present 1700 annual (actually less because this is before taxes). At the moment the 20,000 isn't compounding but is just growing along with the SP growth. This is just getting cloudy...my brain hurts
    Keep it simple BB, sell the lot and take the profits ,then invest in another higher divvy paying company with growth potential.

Simple? Surely you jest sir? My goal is to search the untrodden paths and less travelled highways to find the "best" options. On the one hand you have the plan you mention and the other is to explore a further possible choice. If you gather these types of performers over the years and keep them in your portfolio you end up with a gradually rising dividend yield .. So for example after 5 years the yield may be 8% on the capital introduced, after 10 years it could be 15% ..after 15 years it could be 25% ..see where I am going here. So at the end of ones investing lifetime. assuming one started early enough and kept adding and re-investing you could end up with a portfolio paying yields of very large size on your original capital infusions. Plus you have in all probability equally large capital gains because of SP rises over the years. What I am trying to digest/understand is whether there is any advantage to be had by taking one road as opposed to another. The problem is of course that it is difficult to quantify and measure comparatively the differing options. If you buy/sell/buy/sell/always trying to re-invest and grow the pot is that method better (read more efficient or effective) than just buy, hold/re-ivest etc. and add more. Its an interesting concept to try and come to terms with in my opinion. However I realize that sometimes KISS is actually a more effective way of managing the situation. Doesn't stop me from being curious about the possible outcomes. Asking questions can be useful since occasionally one may get extra insight that has been previously missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Keep it simple BB, sell the lot and take the profits ,then invest in another higher divvy paying company with growth potential.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

IMO

Where do you believe SEK is going BB?. Ive just had a quick look at the 5 year chart; diagonal from bottom to top,WHAT A BEAUTY!!. If you believe that its going to keep growing like that(other than a little hiccup atm with fruit rubbing up against each other in this storm) well why look around ;its not greener over the fence(but may be yellow thats where the money is. Craigs have no research on it; not many do; ask for opinions on here and dig around until you are fairly confident where SEK is going. Certainly in a great sector and a sweet spot in the cycle atm , like SCL.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Where do you believe SEK is going BB?. Ive just had a quick look at the 5 year chart; diagonal from bottom to top,WHAT A BEAUTY!!. If you believe that its going to keep growing like that(other than a little hiccup atm with fruit rubbing up against each other in this storm) well why look around ;its not greener over the fence(but may be yellow thats where the money is. Craigs have no research on it; not many do; ask for opinions on here and dig around until you are fairly confident where SEK is going. Certainly in a great sector and a sweet spot in the cycle atm , like SCL.
    I agree with JT. It is all about where you think SEK is going in the medium term, weighed against other options. SEK has been steadily growing dividends and is on record saying they intend to continue doing so. Their growth and diversification has been spectacular last 2-3 years and future looking bright. On a "positive" note for you BB, their dividend yield rose quite a bit yesterday while this discussion took place as their SP dropped 5.6% :-)
    No doubt some holders panicking about the cyclone.

No argument regards the quality of SEK as an investment JT...its been very good and as Iceman notes below the dividend has been growing each year for the last 4 years. I was using SEK as an example of what sort of issues investors (or me specifically) have regards choosing when or if to exit a share. Leading on to really the key question I was trying to grapple with, which was... is it better to let capital growth sit and grow along with SP or is it more advantageous to extract the gains and put them to use somewhere else. I've come to the conclusion that there are too many variables to generate a rule/or formula that collates all of the information and spits out a definitive directive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

Yes Iceman I just lost $1100 of my proverbial profit whilst I was mulling over the complexities. What's that saying..."You snooze..you lose" I like to explore my options and make deliberate and calculated moves however so not to worry. Usually what happens if there is nothing compelling to come forth from the deliberations I usually stay with the status quo. I believe that this is one of those situations. Of course the other aspect is that if one is buying and selling for the gain theoretically when the gain has been realized the IRD is sitting there with their hand out. I prefer to be in a situation where BB is the full recipient.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I agree with JT. It is all about where you think SEK is going in the medium term, weighed against other options. SEK has been steadily growing dividends and is on record saying they intend to continue doing so. Their growth and diversification has been spectacular last 2-3 years and future looking bright. On a "positive" note for you BB, their dividend yield rose quite a bit yesterday while this discussion took place as their SP dropped 5.6% :-)
    No doubt some holders panicking about the cyclone.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz

percy

SEK has seen eps growth, which has enabled them to pay increasing dividends,and the share price has followed.
    I would not sell a winner until the yield went below deposit rates,and the PE ratio went to nearly three times eps growth.
    A portfolio of winners is going to out perform a portfolio of doubtful high dividend payers,as you have found with SEK..
    You are therefore better to hang onto you winners,and sell your poor performers, remembering dividend yield is only part of the investment jigsaw puzzle.

IMO

Yep keep it simple, stupid.If it aint broke don't fix it.