sharetrader
Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Electric Cars, have we reached a turning point ?

You can now buy an electric car similar in size to a traditional Toyota Corolla / Honda Civic hatchback for the same price as same with circa 200 km's range.
    One example of many available on Trade Me http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1311176116.htm

It won't be the panacea for all people's motoring needs but to me it seems we might be at something of a crossroad in parts of the vehicle market where they've become quite a serious option as a round town shopping basket.

My wife's hybrid is coming up 9 years old and we're keeping an eye on how electric vehicles develop as she's a bit of a greenie.

Would you buy one now for the purpose of a general around town vehicle or wait for further developments, your thoughts ?
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You can now buy an electric car similar in size to a traditional Toyota Corolla / Honda Civic hatchback for the same price as same with circa 200 km's range.
    One example of many available on Trade Me http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1311176116.htm

It won't be the panacea for all people's motoring needs but to me it seems we might be at something of a crossroad in parts of the vehicle market where they've become quite a serious option as a round town shopping basket.

My wife's hybrid is coming up 9 years old and we're keeping an eye on how electric vehicles develop as she's a bit of a greenie.

Would you buy one now for the purpose of a general around town vehicle or wait for further developments, your thoughts ?
    Roger I definitely think your wife wants/Needs a TESLA ....

https://www.tesla.com/en_NZ/models

LOL His and hers P100D with ludicrous mode it is then

Advanced Member

LOL His and hers P100D with ludicrous mode it is then
    With an EMP being talked about as the weapon of choice in WW111. What use would an electric car be ??... :-))))

Think will stick to my Mazda and Lada for now..

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    With an EMP being talked about as the weapon of choice in WW111. What use would an electric car be ??... :-))))
    But the S model has : Bio-Weapon Defense Mode

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    But the S model has : Bio-Weapon Defense Mode
    Bio ??? Defence against the rotten tomato's being thrown by the hoi polloi !!.

Update Ready To Install

Both Renault (Zoe) and Nissan (Leaf)have new 40 kwh batteries all but eliminating Range issues and they have super fast charge times too.

When I updated the second car to a 2011 Yaris a year or two ago I looked at the likes of the Nissan Leaf as an alternative. But the Yaris was $7,500 with a similar age Leaf nearer to $20,000. And with a secondhand electric car you never know when the battery will fail making the car effectively worthless.

The Yaris uses 6.1 litres to get 100km even in the queues into town and back that seem to get bigger and bigger so it is economic to run fuel-wise. It can also be used for much longer trips, for example when my parents visit from the UK and us the Yaris to do a three week long 5,000km tikki tour around the North Island.

The Yaris has a very low depreciation because it was so cheap to start with. I realise the Leaf is a more upmarket vehicle but the Yaris seemed to fill the gap in a very well priced manner, both at time of purchase and ongoing costs.

Update Ready To Install

You can get a 2011 Leaf now for $12 thous no prob.
    The first thing i look at is
    Toyota Yaris 1.3 litre 2012

Fuel efficiency 4 .5 stars out of 6 6.3litre/100km

CO2 emissions 145gm/km 4.5 stars

Air pollution 4 stars.

Toyota aren't known for their low pollution high economy engines unfortunately.
    Then vehicle safety which is great 5 out of 5 stars Ancap

Nissan Leaf 6stars all round and i think 5 stars for safety ; some models have 8 airbags some less.

The Leaf has been around a long time and is tried and proven. Batteries are guaranteed for 8 years in some places , not sure about hereand last a lot longer than that 'easy to google this.
    Testing batt here in NZ not so easy yet,but i see one can download apps and plug ones cellphone into the cigarette lighter and analyse the battery. The car has a 12 bar or more display for a rudimentary picture of its health.

So for me its how can i reduce my carbon footprint as my first priority.
    saving money is good saving the planet is necessary. I keep thinking of a grandchild asking what i knew about global warming and then asking the killer question."What did you do about it"?

Owning a small engined car is a v good start though.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 28-04-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    When I updated the second car to a 2011 Yaris a year or two ago I looked at the likes of the Nissan Leaf as an alternative. But the Yaris was $7,500 with a similar age Leaf nearer to $20,000. And with a secondhand electric car you never know when the battery will fail making the car effectively worthless.

The Yaris has a very low depreciation because it was so cheap to start with.
    Ah - depreciation. I reckon the single biggest cost of owning a car - only made worse if the "asset" is bought via debt. A cost that that seems to be justified by the "enjoyment" value of driving an upmarket vehicle and a cost that causes my scottish blood to freeze when i consider it.

I figure you have given yourself an opportunity to gain $12,500 worth of value else where. And that is quite the asset.

I also reckon this enjoyment is a bit like food: the first three bites of that delicious chocolate are the best - after that it tastes like any old chocolate. Or the first three glasses of pinot - after which you can stick any old red in front of me and i'll be happy.

Which is why when i buy a car it will never be new, never be upmarket and will get driven into the ground. At the moment i cant see any value in considering an electric vehicle - but over time they may become such a commodity that that they will meet my purchasing criteria.

(Thats said i wouldnt say no if someone gave me a Tesla S P100d - but I'd probably kill myself while it was in Ludicrous mode)

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Roger I definitely think your wife wants/Needs a TESLA ....

https://www.tesla.com/en_NZ/models
    Many thanks for the link. I had a bit of a look for a laugh. The top performance model according to the website costs $236,100, sorry my eyes glazed over and I didn't notice if that included on road costs or not but did notice that the website proudly reckoned I'd save $5,000 in petrol in the first five years. WOW, such a compelling investment proposition where do I sign LOL.
    Ludicrous seems like quite the appropriate word although to be fair anything else with a similar level of performance is also priced (and often even a lot more), at similar ludicrous levels.

Many thanks for the link. I had a bit of a look for a laugh. The top performance model according to the website costs $236,100, sorry my eyes glazed over and I didn't notice if that included on road costs or not but did notice that the website proudly reckoned I'd save $5,000 in petrol in the first five years. WOW, such a compelling investment proposition where do I sign LOL.
    Ludicrous seems like quite the appropriate word although to be fair anything else with a similar level of performance is also priced (and often even a lot more), at similar ludicrous levels.
    Or she could wait for this version of a truly flying car.......... https://dailyplanet.climate-kic.org/...l-test-flight/

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Or she could wait for this version of a truly flying car.......... https://dailyplanet.climate-kic.org/...l-test-flight/
    WOW, now you're TALKING !...where do I sign for that !

Trying to get outta here

A top performance Tesla or a Dodge Demon with 840 ponies for around just under 100k US, it's a no brainer mate.

Update Ready To Install

I think the Tesla is the fastest production car available (0 to 100)and incredibly no pollution to boot, if i ever used ,no brainer, this would be the time.But I'm over speed needs now and into planet saving.Is their any other reason Green Cars are the future?