sharetrader
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Great 2018 Crypts vs The Rest Competition

Blakie, on another thread came up with a grand idea. Put a portion of our portfolio aside and see where we are at in 2 to 3 years. So time for a competition of the Crypt coins vs all other speculative investments for those with skin in the game.

Up for grabs are two prizes.

• First Prize is the Crown: “Crowing Rights”
    • Second Prize is the Crown “Wise Owl Rights”
    • When wearing the Crown you can do whatever you like with your Rights.

So here’s how it works.

• Entry fee is NZD$1,000
    • You buy an investment, whatever you like, could be 1,000 kgs of apples for all I care, for the NZD$1,000.
    • Investment is valued at day of entry into comp. You can enter any time
    • We track that investment over the next few years. The person with the investment worth the most on 28 February 2021 wins “Crowing Rights”
    • You can sell your investment at any time. The NZ$ value stays on the table. You are no longer in the Comp for “Crowing Rights” but if your NZD$ is the highest value of all on 28 Feb 2021 you get “Wise Owl” rights.
    • To claim prize you need proof of transaction. Eg copy of receipts, statement or independent verification of trade by trusted Sharetrader forum member.
    • Given this is a comp of Crypts vs The Rest I retain the right to bring the comp to an early close if the Crypt investments are no longer around

Now the tricky things. Best we work out along the way. This is a long haul comp and I cant think off all possibilities up front
    - Dividends / interest. To be treated as taxed at 33% (competitors will need to tell me the amount as there's a chance I'll miss it)
    - bonus offers / rights and the like. You cant buy as you only have $1,000. But if you have a right to sell net proceeds to be added to your pot

Since this is a 36 lap (month) event I'll try an update position on the first of each month - no guarantee though. Good chance I'll get the calculation wrong so be preared to correct me.
    Last edited by minimoke; 11-02-2018 at 10:48 AM.

I’ll get the ball rolling, I’ll put 303 Pushpay Ltd shares @$3.88 on the table. (Heads up - I’ve got a 20% stop Loss on this "Investment")
    Edit - adjusting entry value
    Last edited by minimoke; 10-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Ive also got Upside_umop in with a short $1,000 of bitcoin at the current price of $8,200 USD @ 40% leverage. No stop loss.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Ive also got Upside_umop in with a short $1,000 of bitcoin at the current price of $8,200 USD @ 40% leverage. No stop loss.
    Sounds good to me, I'll have 3448 KYK shares at 29 cents on the ASX. (is that allowed?)

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Sounds good to me, I'll have 3448 KYK shares at 29 cents on the ASX. (is that allowed?)
    Of course it is allowed. Competitors can put their $1,000 wherever the heck they like as an "investment".

Unless you have a better idea how about I just use the AUD/ NZD $ applicable at the time the investment is measured. So NZ$1,000 gets you AUD $928.38 @ AUD$0.29 = 3,201 shares. Feel free to correct me - its your money on the line after all so we need to make sure the assumptions are correct.

Guru

Of course it is allowed. Competitors can put their $1,000 wherever the heck they like as an "investment".

Unless you have a better idea how about I just use the AUD/ NZD $ applicable at the time the investment is measured. So NZ$1,000 gets you AUD $928.38 @ AUD$0.29 = 3,201 shares. Feel free to correct me - its your money on the line after all so we need to make sure the assumptions are correct.
    Sorry, yep forgot about the exchange rate... yep will accept the correction. 3201 shares it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Sorry, yep forgot about the exchange rate... yep will accept the correction. 3201 shares it is then.
    Done. two non-crypt and one shorted crypt investments now on the starting line with engines revving.
    Last edited by minimoke; 09-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Banned

I've just purchased 2083 ADA, Cardano at 0.48NZD. You will see I brought 2248 however this is slightly over the $1000.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blakie; 09-02-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakie View Post
    I've just purchased 2083 ADA, Cardano at 0.48NZD. You will see I brought 2248 however this is slightly over the $1000.
    Happy if I record it as 2083 ADA, Cardano at 0.48NZD = $999.84? If we have a photo finish I'll back count the cents.

Banned

Happy if I record it as 2083 ADA, Cardano at 0.48NZD = $999.84? If we have a photo finish I'll back count the cents.
    This is like Wobblies racing gallopers, I can't see a phot finish :-).

Lock it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakie View Post
    This is like Wobblies racing gallopers, I can't see a phot finish :-).

Lock it in.
    Young 'uns here probably have no idea who Aesop was. Had a nice fable. Tortoise and The Hare. Don't know if its out on YouTube though.

I just purchased more Silver Bullion at a cost of $26oz NZD for 1kg ABC .999% Silver(long term hold) .... so I'll put that forward Vs Cryptos
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    I just purchased more Silver Bullion at a cost of $26oz NZD for 1kg ABC .999% Silver(long term hold) .... so I'll put that forward Vs Cryptos
    Done. To confirm I'll put you down as 38.46 oz at $26 to get your $1,000

Done. To confirm I'll put you down as 38.46 oz at $26 to get your $1,000
    Nice pretty confident we will see new highs before 2020
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people

Do competitors mind if I throw in a wild card / place holder. I had some cash in a non interest bearing account. And yesterday afternoon I finally got around to having a chat with the bank so its now in an interest bearing account.

So I am happy to put in $1,000 cash deposit at 2.2% compounding monthly with 33% tax taken off.

I am happy to take this off the table when another competitor comes in with a cash deposit entry - doesn't seem fair I should stack the odds of me winning both titles with two entries.