sharetrader
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Default Brexit

Looks like im going to loose my EU passport. What other ramifications? Time to hit amazon.co.uk.

Advanced Member

It might be easier for young New Zealanders to gain work permits.

There are also going to be some sporting implications. The quality of the premier league could drop, European players maybe have to be subject to the same rules as non EU players, ie have to be established internationals.

English Jelly babies from New world should become cheaper, while buying online from the UK should be cheaper, in the short term at least. Your running shoes will likely be cheaper if buying from the UK , however as most will be imported they will eventually increase their retail price in the UK

Back to taking multiple currencies on your Europe, if Britain go, so will a few others may make plans as well??
    Though with Credit cards etc these days not so much of a drama

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Is this just the start? Will France, Italy etc follow and cause the disintegration of the E.U?

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Is this just the start? Will France, Italy etc follow and cause the disintegration of the E.U?
    Yes .... the ongoing nightmare of the non elected euro political elite controlling all the nations of the union will continue to fall apart ....

pound falling light a stone = brilliant for UK exporters , tourism
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Looks like im going to loose my EU passport. What other ramifications? Time to hit amazon.co.uk.
    I have a UK passport via grandfather from Ireland, I believe I read something from another friend in the same situation that they're ok, is that the case? Had mine issued before the EU was a thing etc.
    Also if it were currently expired, would brexit have an impact on my being able to get it renewed?

Guru

Brexit a big thumbs down to the neo-liberal agenda. Perhaps other countries will follow suit. The EU is a very flawed model, not that Britain was part of that, but obviously had other implications in regards borders etc. I don't blame Britain for leaving, in fact I think it was brave and much of the rear lobbying by the Bremain camp will be proven false.

Clip, I assume you mean Southern Ireland ? If so you should retain a European passport that in two years won't include Great Britain . I would get it renewed smartish though
    Last edited by Daytr; 25-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

I have an Irish passport (free because I am over 65) although I a told that that has changed. I am entitled to a United kingdom passport on two grounds. 1, My parents were born in the Irish Republic before 1922. 2, Because I served as a regular soldier in the British Army. I have also registered my claim to UK citizenship with the Home Office in London and I have a reply to present to whoever at the relevant time. There is also a grandparent clause that allows the issue of an Irish passport but i am not sure of the details. I have been here since 1960 so I am sure I could squeeze NZ citizenship out of someone if I really wanted to.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    I have a UK passport via grandfather from Ireland, I believe I read something from another friend in the same situation that they're ok, is that the case? Had mine issued before the EU was a thing etc.
    Also if it were currently expired, would brexit have an impact on my being able to get it renewed?
    Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    ...There is also a grandparent clause that allows the issue of an Irish passport but i am not sure of the details....
    When I enquired about ten years ago, I was entitled to an Irish passport as one of my grandparents was Irish born. Also I am entitled to a British Patriality Certificate on the basis of another grandparent being Britsh-born. Perhaps if you have a Northern Irish grandparent you would be entitled to both UK Patriality and Irish Citizenship?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Brexit a big thumbs down to the neo-liberal agenda. Perhaps other countries will follow suit. The EU is a very flawed model, not that Britain was part of that, but obviously had other implications in regards borders etc. I don't blame Britain for leaving, in fact I think it was brave and much of the rear lobbying by the Bremain camp will be proven false...
    Are you referring to the "lobbying" by independent economists and other "experts". Being "brave" may have the cost of a shrinking economy. When the health service and social security system feel the pinch from reduced funding from a shrinking economy, lets hope those Brexiteers voters give up their places in the queues to those who voted Remain.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...endum-36616385

Boris Johnson: 'There is no need for haste'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...s-to-leave-eu/

Brexit: business leaders react as Britain votes to leave EU

Update Ready To Install

Should invoke the cooling off period

What about oops.....that's not what we promised http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...n-nhs-spending

Veteran novice

Brexit only the second most embarassing Brit action this last week.

Iceland 2 England 1

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Brexit only the second most embarassing Brit action this last week.

Iceland 2 England 1

They should try again. Won't be hard to get a couple of million signatures supporting a replay.