sharetrader
Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Tesla doesn't do negotiating or discounting, the price is the price.
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Same with any new inventions/tech, they start out expensive and get cheaper and cheaper and/as take-up increases. Lots of improvements to come.There is gargantium investment and focus and commitment on EV's and later other powered vehicles. They will get better and better , cheaper and cheaper. Give it time its in its infancy.
    I think that's very wise advice and I'll skip the test drive of the Tesla S for now as I know from past experience once I get into test drive mode I inevitably end up buying something. Not much better than a kid in a lolly shop wanting his next fix lol.

Interesting improvement coming...https://www.msn.com/en-nz/money/news...cid=spartandhp
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    The EVs may get better and better but the power source will become more and more expensive for everyone as demand increases so its a bit of an exercise in futility.
    Err, divert the petroleum from being burnt in 100,000 small inefficient poorly maintained car engines which at best are 30% efficient and usually a lot worse) and burn it in a CCGT powerplant at 60% efficiency.. we still end up better off.

A bit off topic but while we wait for a decent electric car with good performance at a sensible price it occurred to me the brand new Holden Commodore being released currently, which is really a rebadged Opel made in Germany especially in top tier Calais V or VXR guise for $61,990 or $67,990 is an extremely well specified bit of kit and contains essentially ~ 95% of the technology and equipment of the high end Euro's costing 2-3 times as much. Funnily enough you don't see said Euro's doing 200,000 km's of testing on Australasian roads to tune the suspension for our local conditions either.
    Nice gear like maxtrix LED headlights, adaptive cruise control, heated and ventilated seats, adaptive suspension, parking assist, 360 degree camera e.t.c.
    see more at www.holden.co.nz and click on all new Commodore. I think it'll be a long time before we get an electric car with that sort of performance equipment and technology for that sort of money. If you're in the market for a medium / large car right now I think it could be well worth reviewing.

Update Ready To Install

Nothing about how much CO2 emissions there or petrol usage what 9 km a litre?. hardly helping reduce the Global warming prob.

Maybe fits the profile of big boat owners

Ugh, 9 speed auto coupled to either a 3.6L v6 in AWd gas guzzler or a 2L turbo FWD. no Manual gearbox option.. pass. And when comparing to an EV i'd take 20K off the price of the EV to compensate for the ongoing running cost differences. With the EV a big chunk of the up front cost is recovered by needing virtually no servicing and no trips to the gas station.

Nothing about how much CO2 emissions there or petrol usage what 9 km a litre?. hardly helping reduce the Global warming prob.

Maybe fits the profile of big boat owners
    9.1 L /100 km's for the V6 all wheel drive Calais V is pretty reasonable in my opinion and is about 4 L per 100 km's lower than my current vehicle. Sold the boat years ago. Show me where to sign on an equivalent electric vehicle with the same performance and comprehensive technology and equipment at the same price and I'd be happy to do so otherwise I am happy to plant a few more trees instead. The truth is there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
    I think Mrs Beagle is up to about 40 trees planted to her credit with purchases of Honda hybrids in the past, how many have you planted mate
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-03-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Ugh, 9 speed auto coupled to either a 3.6L v6 in AWd gas guzzler or a 2L turbo FWD. no Manual gearbox option.. pass. And when comparing to an EV i'd take 20K off the price of the EV to compensate for the ongoing running cost differences. With the EV a big chunk of the up front cost is recovered by needing virtually no servicing and no trips to the gas station.
    A reality check if you're ever thinking about buying a Tesla. https://www.tesla.com/en_NZ/support/...ns?redirect=no Pretty expensive servicing in my opinion, right up there more or less in line with expensive European vehicle servicing costs. Really surprised me to be honest and if you want to keep your warranty you're in the gun for these costs.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    9.1 L /100 km's for the V6 all wheel drive Calais V is pretty reasonable in my opinion and is about 4 L per 100 km's lower than my current vehicle. Sold the boat years ago. Show me where to sign on an equivalent electric vehicle with the same performance and comprehensive technology and equipment at the same price and I'd be happy to do so otherwise I am happy to plant a few more trees instead. The truth is there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
    I think Mrs Beagle is up to about 40 trees planted to her credit with purchases of Honda hybrids in the past, how many have you planted mate
    We just manage to share one car between us 1.4 L VW polo re 6 km litre atpit, living centrally helps as does planning essential trips. My Dog, you have a 13 litre per 100 km vehicle! Insanity..

A reality check if you're ever thinking about buying a Tesla. https://www.tesla.com/en_NZ/support/...ns?redirect=no Pretty expensive servicing in my opinion, right up there more or less in line with expensive European vehicle servicing costs. Really surprised me to be honest and if you want to keep your warranty you're in the gun for these costs.
    Actually you aren't. https://www.tesla.com/en_NZ/blog/cre...-0?redirect=no

As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.
    The only thing on the tesla service menu that id get Tesla to do are coolant changes, and even those i'd probably only do twice in the life of the car. Everything else i'd just get done at the tyre shop (tyres and alignments) or do myself. Not sure about the AC dessicant replacement.. that might be a PITA to do.

At the moment I go through a $110 tank of gas most weeks, so call it $5k/year in gas. The equivalent distance in a tesla model 3 would be at most $20 extra on the powerbill giving annual savings of ~$4k per year. 5 years of ownership and there is the $20k savings.

One thing to be aware of With Teslas (at least in the US) is the insurance rates due to Teslas' insistence on insane repair procedures through Tesla approved shops. Things like a small dent above the rear wheel arch which in any other brand of car would be a case of pull the dent, skim of filler and then paint ($300-$1000), Tesla insist on removing the rear quarter panel etc etc and instead of being a day or two in the shop its in there for months waiting for parts and lots of labour.

73e58359db2a959af0ea415ced6d7bbd.jpg

The repair bill for that scrape was $18k USD.. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-killer.62246/
    Last edited by Vagabond47; 14-03-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: pics and stuff

Many thanks for the interesting links and its good that Tesla cover the warranty even if you don't want to participate in their very pricey service program.
    I think at $18K I would simply get the buffer and cutter and polish out and probably just make the scratching a lot less obvious. Thanks for the heads-up warning about insurance costs.
    A few reasons I can think of not to buy a Tesla S model right now.
    1. Model 3 is coming out in due course and will do a similar job for less than half the price.
    2. Not sure if Tesla even has a service centre in N.Z. yet ? Where's the back up and support if something goes horribly wrong ?
    3. Quality control from what I've seen talked about in forums is considerably lower than forthcoming European electric vehicles. I expect for example the assembly standards and quality control on the new Jaguar I Pace to be significantly better than Tesla and another step up again to the Audi E-Tron when that comes out in 2019.
    Audi and Jaguar of course have a reasonable level of service facilities in N.Z. already to fix your vehicle.
    On the other hand free supercharging for life with a referral code for Tesla's is attractive.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-03-2018 at 11:24 AM.

We just manage to share one car between us 1.4 L VW polo re 6 km litre atpit, living centrally helps as does planning essential trips. My Dog, you have a 13 litre per 100 km vehicle! Insanity..
    Yes I do and its a great vehicle. Chrysler SRT8 with a brilliant 6.4 liter Hemi V8 engine. I love driving it, its fun...remember when driving was fun and Mrs Beagle's 40 trees she's responsible for planting soaks up all the CO2 plus the CO2 from your little Polo

Many thanks for the interesting links and its good that Tesla cover the warranty even if you don't want to participate in their very pricey service program.
    I think at $18K I would simply get the buffer and cutter and polish out and probably just make the scratching a lot less obvious. Thanks for the heads-up warning about insurance costs.
    A few reasons I can think of not to buy a Tesla S model right now.
    1. Model 3 is coming out in due course and will do a similar job for less than half the price.
    2. Not sure if Tesla even has a service centre in N.Z. yet ? Where's the back up and support if something goes horribly wrong ?
    3. Quality control from what I've seen talked about in forums is considerably lower than forthcoming European electric vehicles. I expect for example the assembly standards and quality control on the new Jaguar I Pace to be significantly better than Tesla and another step up again to the Audi E-Tron when that comes out in 2019.
    Audi and Jaguar of course have a reasonable level of service facilities in N.Z. already to fix your vehicle.
    On the other hand free supercharging for life with a referral code for Tesla's is attractive.

1) My basic analysis at the time put the bare base model 3 landed in NZ at about $62K.. so a bit over half the price of the base S.

2) Tesla service center is on K Rd in Auckland. Not open to the general public yet. I think its the same building the showroom will be in once the renovations are done. 501 K rd.

3) Thats speculation until those other EVs start rolling off the line, and by the time the model 3 gets to NZ in 2020(?) they should have well and truly sorted out initial assembly line issues. But on the other hand, drop in your model 3 for fixing and get a model S (a far better car) as a service loaner.

4) Model 3 doesn't get free supercharging. And eventually that will go away from the S and X too.

Update Ready To Install

Yes I do and its a great vehicle. Chrysler SRT8 with a brilliant 6.4 liter Hemi V8 engine. I love driving it, its fun...remember when driving was fun and Mrs Beagle's 40 trees she's responsible for planting soaks up all the CO2 plus the CO2 from your little Polo
    Yeah right sure, not sure what your your wifes vehicle does , lets be generous, say 7litre per 100km plus 13 = 20 lites per 100 km between you that s grotesque imo. . So i guess you are just one more unbeliever and are going hard out to pollute as much as you can before the endgame, tipping point which may or may not happen in your life time. I still think big cars and engines are just psychological phallic extensions ,so screw the earth, right. So what are you doing on this thread?

Yeah right sure, not sure what your your wifes vehicle does , lets be generous, say 7litre per 100km plus 13 = 20 lites per 100 km between you that s grotesque imo. . So i guess you are just one more unbeliever and are going hard out to pollute as much as you can before the endgame, tipping point which may or may not happen in your life time. I still think big cars and engines are just psychological phallic extensions ,so screw the earth, right. So what are you doing on this thread?
    Wife's Honda Civic does about 7L per 100 km's that's correct. Quite obviously we share a vehicle when we're going to the same destination at the same time so adding the two together gives a disingenuous view of our overall fuel consumption. Look mate we live on a 1 acre bush section filled with manuka and other trees. I don't have time to count them but standing on the balcony having a look around at a rough guess there would be over 100 native trees on our section. In addition as I have mentioned before Mrs Beagle is a bit of a greenie and has a track record of owning for nearly ten years, hybrid vehicles, (i.e. she actually does something not just talk about it like some people). In addition to that as part of the Honda native tree planting program as I have mentioned before she is responsible for funding the planting of ~ 40 native trees. There's plenty of trees there to soak up all the CO2 we emit and plenty more left over to soak up yours and probably a few other people as well so the whole CO2 emission thing for us is a bit of a yawn.

I like technology and where its going but we're not there yet, (something you admitted yourself a few posts back) not at the point where an electric car confers a compelling reason to invest, but its good to debate the issues which is why I started this thread. I'm pretty sure you can understand me being on and taking an ongoing interest in a thread I started for goodness sake...

I did have pretty high hopes the Jaguar I Pace would be a compelling vehicle offer...but it looks like their hype and reality are further apart than what I think is acceptable.

Vagabond. Thank you for your useful and informative post, much appreciated. Jaguar and Audi do have a very long record of vehicle production and although I haven't owned either marque myself feedback from others who have suggests that quality control is very good but I concede it is somewhat speculative at this stage to assume that their QC on their electric vehicles will be better than Tesla's.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-03-2018 at 12:45 PM.