sharetrader
Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1227

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Kia Nero EV is expected to arrive this month.
    2019 Leaf Plus has 226 miles range coupled with improved performance(not sure when it will arrive here).
    I really need to test drive to see if they perform as good as the reviews.
    I hate SUV/Crossover type things so the Nero is out.
    The Leaf plus is a little light on power-to-weight, but i might test drive one when they arrive, maybe the constant torque of the the electric motor will make up for the the lower peak numbers. Not sure if I consider teh pricing attractive either.. US$39k for the SV spec.. hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    If you factor in the high initial capital cost for a Prius compared to a Mondeo, Mazda 6 or a Hyundai and then the FBT payable for the private use again based on that initial higher capital cost then it simply doesn’t work out any cheaper to operate for fleets (FBT also applies for leased vehicles). That applies to EVs as well but interestingly a Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux or a VW Amarok may not be a passenger vehicle under FBT rules as it was primarily built for purpose of carting around goods (although you’d wonder with all these Merc X Class double cabs how much that really applies).

Ergo lots of turbo diesel utilities not many Prius and EVs.
    Not a bad idea that, if govt wants to incentivise EV uptake - exempt them from FBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Not a bad idea that, if govt wants to incentivise EV uptake - exempt them from FBT.
    NZ gov't is already discouraging ICE vehicles by raising the price of fuel at the pump (carbon tax etc.). They want to elevate the price of cars higher so they can be more in line with EV prices. That's a big difference to abroad where gov'ts give direct tax credit for those that choose an EV.

As far as FBT??? You saying only businesses will get the benefit of EV use?

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post

As far as FBT??? You saying only businesses will get the benefit of EV use?
    I'm not necessarily in favour of any subsidies, but if FBT regulation provides an incentive for business not to buy EVs, it would surely make sense to remove that incentive if you want to increase the number of EVs in the NZ fleet (Govt policy). Also, businesses in NZ likely have significant role in determining what types of new vehicles are available in NZ as they are a big player in buying and leasing new cars.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/732547/...v-coming-soon/

Wonder what the price cuts will be in N.Z....might pay to wait until one knows before buying an electric car right at the minute
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/731667/...del-x-pricing/

Meanwhile over at Volvo's subsidiary Polestar this looks "interesting" https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...-model-3-rival
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/732547/...v-coming-soon/

Wonder what the price cuts will be in N.Z....might pay to wait until one knows before buying an electric car right at the minute
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/731667/...del-x-pricing/

Meanwhile over at Volvo's subsidiary Polestar this looks "interesting" https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...-model-3-rival
    Where does Volvo Polestar (or other EV makes that want to compete against Tesla) stand when it comes to real autonomous driving? The leading reason why people buy Tesla is it's self driving capability. I don't care how fast the car can go, or how fast acceleration it goes, or how big the battery is. Users that i've spoke to tell me they like the Tesla purely because of it's safety features and 'self' driving ability.

Anything but that in an EV is nothing much more than a glorified electric golf cart!

Where does Volvo Polestar (or other EV makes that want to compete against Tesla) stand when it comes to real autonomous driving? The leading reason why people buy Tesla is it's self driving capability. I don't care how fast the car can go, or how fast acceleration it goes, or how big the battery is. Users that i've spoke to tell me they like the Tesla purely because of it's safety features and 'self' driving ability.

Anything but that in an EV is nothing much more than a glorified electric golf cart!
    The concept of real autonomous driving and its application in terms of N.Z. roads will be something that's quite fascinating to watch, (I won't be a Guinea pig). Jury is out on whether Tesla self driving is safe or not https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/s...driving-safer/ Well marked smooth roads in Germany or America are one thing, B and C grade back country twisty hilly poorly marked roads in N.Z. are something totally different.

I have no concrete idea regarding Polestar's self driving capabilities but Volvo are right up there with safety so I would imagine this new creation will have all the latest safety systems such as radar cruise control, lane keep assist, forward collision alert, pedestrian warning, autonomous emergency braking and so on. I think there's a big latent demand for an all purpose electric vehicle with strong performance and good range (a Jaguar I Pace at a far more realistic price if you like) and the Polestar might be something that finds more than just a few takers.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-03-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Veteran novice

this new creation will have all the latest safety systems such as radar cruise control, lane keep assist, forward collision alert, pedestrian warning, autonomous emergency braking and so on.
    Rumour has it that it will come equipped with a top-hatted gentleman to walk in front waving a red flag!

The concept of real autonomous driving and its application in terms of N.Z. roads will be something that's quite fascinating to watch, (I won't be a Guinea pig). Jury is out on whether Tesla self driving is safe or not https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/s...driving-safer/ Well marked smooth roads in Germany or America are one thing, B and C grade back country twisty hilly poorly marked roads in N.Z. are something totally different.

I have no concrete idea regarding Polestar's self driving capabilities but Volvo are right up there with safety so I would imagine this new creation will have all the latest safety systems such as radar cruise control, lane keep assist, forward collision alert, pedestrian warning, autonomous emergency braking and so on. I think there's a big latent demand for an all purpose electric vehicle with strong performance and good range (a Jaguar I Pace at a far more realistic price if you like) and the Polestar might be something that finds more than just a few takers.
    They're all the same. Even basic luxury cars have the SAME safety features. Many such as blind spot detection will be basic features in base model cars in the short term future. But to go autonomous is a huge step. I've only read GM's Chevrolet Bolt (and their high end Cadillac) to have fully autonomous driving (using LIDAR). But that system is still inferior to Tesla's where as soon as you drive off the main roads that have no LIDAR maps, all bets are off.

Even if Tesla's autonomous driving is too risky, how about it's 'self parking' and 'Summons' command? When their lower Model 3 can have these features at a reasonable price, how could VW or Volvo compete? Even worse, how come they're SO LATE in this EV game. You have to be some special kind of car mfger to have people on the waiting list for nearly 2 years or so???

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Rumour has it that it will come equipped with a top-hatted gentleman to walk in front waving a red flag!

Yeah I've got all that "wonderful" safety technology in my new Holden. Had a few false alerts already on the forward collision warning and the vehicle goes into autonomous emergency max braking mode because some sparrow farted 5 miles away. Its lot's of "fun" I suppose it might save me some drama one day after 1,001 false alerts, such fun...
    Radar cruise is good though as is some of the other tech.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-03-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Membaa

Yeah I've got all that "wonderful" safety technology in my new Holden. Had a few false alerts already on the forward collision warning and the vehicle goes into autonomous emergency max braking mode because some sparrow farted 5 miles away. Its lot's of "fun" I suppose it might save me some drama one day after 1,001 false alerts, such fun...
    Radar cruise is good though as is some of the other tech.
    Turn off that forward collision alert / auto braking thing, it's unsophisticated, inaccurate and damned frightening when your car hits the picks as the sparrows fly by. Lots of cars have them now, none appear to be anything other than an instant anxiety attack.
    BAA

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Turn off that forward collision alert / auto braking thing, it's unsophisticated, inaccurate and damned frightening when your car hits the picks as the sparrows fly by. Lots of cars have them now, none appear to be anything other than an instant anxiety attack.
    YES I couldn't agree more. Lane departure and the stupid idle stop thing have easily accessible dedicated buttons to switch off but the forward collision alert is buried in the cars on screen menu's and is a serious PITA as even when deactivated in the menu it automatically reactivates every time you start the car. I might see if there's some way to permanently deactivate it. On my Chrysler once deactivated it stayed that way but apparently its now in consumers best interests that our hands are held by electronic nannies that require fresh refusal every trip (sigh). Edit, just had another look at it and read the manual. No way to permanently deactivate it as its tied in with the adaptive cruise control, (which is a useful system).

In other news with the price drop a Tesla S with 100 kw/hr battery and ludicrous mode (0-100 in just 2.6 seconds) is now $166K Kiwi after a big price drop. Tesla getting desperate ? I am not tempted but it does make a Jaguar I Pace look expensive.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-03-2019 at 03:05 PM.

In other news with the price drop a Tesla S with 100 kw/hr battery and ludicrous mode (0-100 in just 2.6 seconds) is now $166K Kiwi after a big price drop. Tesla getting desperate ? I am not tempted but it does make a Jaguar I Pace look expensive.
    Tesla's move to lower prices is to directly compete with other EV makers. Basically it will erode the profitability of those companies. The ludicrous mode by Tesla is already a difficult record to beat. Why would others buy a different make for a little less when it's performance can't be matched? I also say, Tesla has so many autonomous features in the car, where are the features that other EV makes claim? Like self opening the door upon walking to the car. Press the brake and motorised closes the door. There's a LOT of things the Tesla car does that other EV makes simply don't have. I have a feeling the makes like Jaguar and Volvo are selling an inferior EV version by trying to sell purely on their name / luxury branding. Is it a surprise those classes of people that would buy a Volvo or European are so different to Tesla owners that are more 'techie' or 'geeky' wearing T-shirts and shorts? It's a different class of people for a different kind of car.

Autonomous driving is so far down the desired feature list for me.. I wouldn't pay extra for it, until it gets to the full door-to-door chauffeur level where I can relax in the back seat and do my own thing. Give me the high power electric golf cart with manual controls!

Tesla's move to lower prices is to directly compete with other EV makers. Basically it will erode the profitability of those companies. The ludicrous mode by Tesla is already a difficult record to beat. Why would others buy a different make for a little less when it's performance can't be matched? I also say, Tesla has so many autonomous features in the car, where are the features that other EV makes claim? Like self opening the door upon walking to the car. Press the brake and motorised closes the door. There's a LOT of things the Tesla car does that other EV makes simply don't have. I have a feeling the makes like Jaguar and Volvo are selling an inferior EV version by trying to sell purely on their name / luxury branding. Is it a surprise those classes of people that would buy a Volvo or European are so different to Tesla owners that are more 'techie' or 'geeky' wearing T-shirts and shorts? It's a different class of people for a different kind of car.
    You certainly are enthusiastic about Tesla. I had a look at a Tesla S at an electric car show at Greenlane last year and was underwhelmed with the build quality.
    Get ready for an EV onslaught from the VW group. Badly burned by the diesel-gate fiasco they have invested $US90 Billion in EV facilities and R&D recently and I think we will see some very interesting EV's from the VW group in the next 5 years. Yes Tesla have the lead but their business s model is about to come under attack from a wide range of competitors and I for one think you'd be a "brave" investor to own Tesla shares going forward from here.