sharetrader
Page 82 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1378

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I see that the uptake on EV's in NZ is stagnant. It is in decline since May 2018. So the buzz is over and it looks like the govt will have to do "subsidies" to get people to purchase them.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/mot-re...registrations/
    Interesting to see the facts, (not the hype perpetrated on here by some). Z Energy noted in their recent full year results that uptake is tracking right at the lowest level of their future modelling assumptions and that significant declines in the cost per kw/hr of battery production have not been reflected in N.Z. retail vehicle showrooms.
    Unsurprisingly many customers appear to be happy to bide their time waiting on the sidelines for more realistic pricing and more practical range.

Apparently many people have realized that we may be many years away from EV's being an affordable and realistic option for the average family and Toyota are doing quite well with their long established and further refined hybrid technology. The latest RAV 4 hybrid is sure to find favour with many families with its excellent fuel economy and practical layout along with a raft of up to the minute safety and technology features. https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/roa...-and-off-road/ Mid spec hybrid model can be had for $38,995 which seems like a ton or practicality and versatility and just 4.8 L 100 km's it seems like a pretty good package. https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/rav...AX-NM1-1D6-20#...better not tell Mrs Beagle as I think she'd be keen.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-05-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

I see that the uptake on EV's in NZ is stagnant. It is in decline since May 2018. So the buzz is over and it looks like the govt will have to do "subsidies" to get people to purchase them.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/mot-re...registrations/
    Id say that most of those that are willing to live within the limitations of a Leaf now have one, and the rest are waiting for something better and affordable.

But not sure how you came to its in decline.. there have been more light EVs registered in the first 4 months of this year than the first four of last year, May 2018 was a bit of a spike, but that was surpassed by another spike in October 2018. Wouldn't call that a decline personally.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Id say that most of those that are willing to live within the limitations of a Leaf now have one, and the rest are waiting for something better and affordable.

But not sure how you came to its in decline.. there have been more light EVs registered in the first 4 months of this year than the first four of last year, May 2018 was a bit of a spike, but that was surpassed by another spike in October 2018. Wouldn't call that a decline personally.
    I just put a trend line from May 2018 to now. It is definitely going down. But that is not the point. There should be growth, even slowing growth, and that is not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ...Unsurprisingly many customers appear to be happy to bide their time waiting on the sidelines for more realistic pricing and more practical range.

Apparently many people have realized that we may be many years away from EV's being an affordable and realistic option for the average family and Toyota are doing quite well with their long established and further refined hybrid technology. The latest RAV 4 hybrid is sure to find favour with many families with its excellent fuel economy and practical layout along with a raft of up to the minute safety and technology features. https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/roa...-and-off-road/ Mid spec hybrid model can be had for $38,995 which seems like a ton or practicality and versatility and just 4.8 L 100 km's it seems like a pretty good package. https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/rav...AX-NM1-1D6-20#...better not tell Mrs Beagle as I think she'd be keen.
    That's exactly the problem! The only affordable EV choice for the masses is.. a 2nd hand Nissan Leaf. Anything else fully EV brand new? not a chance even for the next 10 years. This was Tesla's early approach by introducing high performance EVs to target the high income earners. They never intended their cars to be affordable to the masses ; even the Model 3 by NZ standards is not affordable. For pretty much most people, a new ICE (even hybrid) at a price that is 1/3rd or half the price of an equivalent EV, easily fits the bill.

I really wonder if an EV credit would help increase the EV uptake in NZ?

Don't understand why the RAV4 has not got Apple Car play or the Google version. A bit behind the times
    Think hybrids will be the much bigger uptake than a full EV for the foreseeable future

I just put a trend line from May 2018 to now. It is definitely going down. But that is not the point. There should be growth, even slowing growth, and that is not happening.
    No, they are only in decline because you are picking from a seasonal high point to a seasonal low point. Where I come from that is called cherry picking.

The last three months YoY increases are 82%, 37%, 26%. All positive, and significantly so.
    Or looking at the third tab in your link (funnily enough titled "Light Evs are a growing proportion of registrations"), Used EVs have stabilised at ~2.7% of new light vehicle registrations, but New EVs are still growing, so overall the EV share of new registrations is growing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    No, they are only in decline because you are picking from a seasonal high point to a seasonal low point. Where I come from that is called cherry picking.

The last three months YoY increases are 82%, 37%, 26%. All positive, and significantly so.
    Or looking at the third tab in your link (funnily enough titled "Light Evs are a growing proportion of registrations"), Used EVs have stabilised at ~2.7% of new light vehicle registrations, but New EVs are still growing, so overall the EV share of new registrations is growing.
    And they will continue to do so. in comparison to an EV an ICE engine is a noisy, heavy, hunk of junk, expensive to repair and has high maintenance costs. No doubt that the cost of producing electric motors is cheaper than building a combustion engine, so once development and IP costs fall we can look forward to a future of EVs being the main form of auto power. And we are not far away from seeing cheaper and better batteries. Once an EV can price match, or even beat an ICE, would anyone seriously opt for an ICE!

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    And they will continue to do so. in comparison to an EV an ICE engine is a noisy, heavy, hunk of junk, expensive to repair and has high maintenance costs... , would anyone seriously opt for an ICE!
    Yes, FOR all those things you mentioned (except weight because I don't buy heavy cars to begin with, so inverse on that point). I love the noise, 6 speed manual, complexity, nimble lightweightness, and being able to work on my own cars.
    Don't get me wrong, if it was within budget I would have a model S in a heartbeat, but they will never REPLACE ice cars for me

https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/pre...benz-ev-range/
    Another very expensive newcomer for the trendies to impress their friends with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THDX2xKySec
    Gotta love this guy, non restrained by any politically correct handbrakes he calls it as it really is.

PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) Group who own Opel and Vauxhall and supply a number of Holden badged vehicles are about to launch a new Corsa (thatís a Barina to Holden owners).

Interestingly, under GM ownership Opel had developed a new Corsa for launch two years ago but PSA ditched the whole programme and set about doing a new car. Two years is a very short development cycle for a new car but by using the PSA B car platform (as used for the Pug 208) they ditch the need for GM drivetrains, tech etc... they will also have a fully electric version within 6 months of launching the new car. Again leveraging the PSA platform... thereís still a petrol and diesel alternative... wonder if Holden takes the non GM Corsa... smart for PSA to rationalise drivetrains and platforms but means Holden will have to take on a new platform, parts and engines that arenít GM into parts inventory, technical and service support...

Tesla shares coming under severe pressure lately as Musk's credibility is increasingly called into question
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/reut...are-offer.html
    Interestingly Musk's repeated claims that full self driving autonomy (level 5) will be available next year are in stark contrast to a statement Daimler, (manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz) issued earlier this week that stated that level 5 full autonomous driving capability was at least 10 years away.
    A glimpse into the future https://www.msn.com/en-nz/motoring/n...cid=spartandhp
    Once the mainstream euro manufacturers get into full stride with electric vehicles Tesla are doomed, you read it from me first.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-05-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Last edited by Beagle; 02-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    For $74K it does seem worth it. Reason is let's start comparing what's available in NZ for BRAND NEW EVs.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cat...e21b3f1306-001

I see a VW eGolf for $70K
    I see Kia Niro for $74K
    I see Hyundai Kona for $78K

Now they may not all be comparable as apples with apples, but 1 thing in common with these non-Tesla EVs is they're built on a petro powered platform vehicle that is electrified. The Model 3 is a purpose built EV from the ground up.

Today on my travels in Alaska, I met with an elderly man on the ferry boat that has been driving his Tesla Model S for the past month. He ventured from California and gone all the way up to the Arctic Ocean. He never ever had issues with charging his total cost he's paid out of pocket was $200 USD. On his travels he would search out 'welding or mechanic shops' where he could plug into their high current outlet. Quite often the shop owners didn't accept his cash and thought it was interesting how the car would draw enough electricity to charge the battery. On other occasions he would take them out for meals. But I would never thought that a Tesla could go as far as the Prudhoe Bay at the top of the continent. He bought his 1st Tesla Model S 6 years ago and the current one he has now is a newer dual motor 75D. Of course today the Model S is standard 100kwh battery. Back at his home in California he has a full solar PV setup at home - it was interesting to learn new California state laws require new houses to have solar PV on the roof as to future proof the demand of electricity to charge EV when the time comes or to batteries. Oh he also mentioned he has driven the Jaguar iPace EV and says it's a nice car... but it doesn't have the full charging compatibility that the Tesla has. He did mention, as an 84 year old man, that the comfort in the Model S is tops, "It's just that much easier to drive than any other car". The seats fit perfect, you don't feel as fatigue or strained where the conventional cars, having to correct with the steering wheel all the time. In all the 50,000 miles he's been driving, he's only had to change the wiper blades and tires. He's not sure if other EVs can make that claim. He says the downhill electrical re-generation is a big thing - and not sure if the cheaper EVs do it well. The fast charging isn't a big deal because the only time a person would want to charge quickly is if the person forgot to plug it in overnight, but nevertheless, the Tesla Supercharger stations do the fast charge and one doesn't have to stay for like an hour to get a decent boost.

As for the Nissan Leaf, not sure if that can be compared to the Tesla. When is Porsche's Taycan EV coming out in production? Where's Volvo's purpose built Polestar? By the time these other makes come out with a competitively priced EV, pretty much all the buyers of EV would of owned one by now.

Update Ready To Install

Excellent story, info and inspirational thanks SBQ. What a great example this 84 year old is to us too.