sharetrader
Page 73 of 90 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1347
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I’m on my 4th Honda, 2 new Euro’s when I worked...great cars...and my second older model CRV.
    Enough of a 4 wheel drive for most of what I need. I put a search on trademe and it eventually turned up a 2006 (I think) CRV with only 30k on the clock. I’ll have if for a long time even tho it is a bit thirsty.

Yep...I’m a Honda fan.
    I'm another Honda fan. After owning everything possible between my first car in 1963 and my first Honda Accord in 1982, I've stuck with Honda and have yet to find anything better, with massive ticks for build quality, reliability and long life.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'm another Honda fan. After owning everything possible between my first car in 1963 and my first Honda Accord in 1982, I've stuck with Honda and have yet to find anything better, with massive ticks for build quality, reliability and long life.
    Got one of these in 2017 in this colour, (nice safe colour) for Mrs Beagle. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...00497fb3b71450
    No drama's so far with it and no drama's with the Honda Civic hybrid she owned before that for 9 years until the hybrid battery dies at just over 9 years (about the expected lifespan of a battery)

Before that she drove a Honda CRV for many years and we had no problems with that either. Honda is one of the few companies to give a true all encompassing 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.
    Their servicing costs are slightly more than Toyota.

Honda = no drama motoring. Quite a good car the new Civic.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Apologies for getting so far off track with electric vehicles folks. We should probably get this back to being about all things electric hybrid or alternative propulsion as I am sure many of us continue to find developments in this field interesting and others like to think they might help save the planet so it continues to be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to that.

Seeing as almost all of us drive one and there's obviously a desire from time to time to talk about conventionally powered vehicles I started a new thread for all things cars (other than electric) here https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...290#post746290 I like talking about cars, (though not much enjoying the current big drama that's sending me a bit loopy lol) so I am hopeful this new thread will be an interesting and vibrant one.

Update Ready To Install

Some interesting facts and opinions from Quamera on another public forum. Lots of incentives there and im still waiting for the big price drop in mass produced EV's which im sure are coming , from China.

"China has a credit points system where a long range EV scores highly, a short range PHEV not nearly so high and nothing for ICE vehicles. If a manufacturer doesn't score enough credits across their range they have to buy some from a manufacturer who does. As well as that all EVs are exempt from the rego lottery and high rego cost that limits the number of new ICE vehicles sold in China. Their ICE vehicle production will plummet due to this carrot and big stick approach.

Because China is legislating to benefit manufacture and sales of EV's it will fast track their development, they were never much good at ICE vehicles anyway and the EVs will leapfrog them in the sales race. Both the joint venture and pure Chinese EV makers will have vehicles of a suitable standard for the world market because of their domestic competition and economies of scale and it will be difficult for the rest of the world to compete especially at the lower end of the market where China will dominate in the same way they dominate cordless power tools now.
    "Why aren't we also not manufacturing EVs in Australia"
    Plenty of reasons (1) We have lost our manufacturing base, restarting now would be twice as hard as before.
    (2) High cost of labour, one of the main reasons for (1).
    (3) No government incentives, they are needed to help start the process.
    (4) Our domestic market is too small to provide decent economies..."

Pollution in some cities in China is profoundly shocking so I am not surprised they're leading the charge with electric vehicle R&D and incentives.
    Thing is though I recently read they're adding one coal fired power station every two weeks, (or was it two coal stations every week ?) to meet rampant growth in demand for electricity so this has all the hallmarks of a cat chasing its tail in terms of its futility, other than to eventually hope that they have a vibrant export market.

Westerners will trust the Chinese to build quality self driving electric cars and not program them to hurt them, hack their data or do anything else nefarious right ?...what could possibly go wrong lol

PS - Yes it is 2 new coal fired power stations a week https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...pacity-policy/
    They're absolute genius's shifting the emissions point from the tailpipes to the coal stacks...yeap, that'll really make a difference lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-02-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

PS - Yes it is 2 new coal fired power stations a week https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...pacity-policy/
    They're absolute genius's shifting the emissions point from the tailpipes to the coal stacks...yeap, that'll really make a difference lol
    And NZ politicians of all colours think NZ can make a change. Fools, the lot of them

Guru

Pollution in some cities in China is profoundly shocking so I am not surprised they're leading the charge with electric vehicle R&D and incentives.
    Thing is though I recently read they're adding one coal fired power station every two weeks, (or was it two coal stations every week ?) to meet rampant growth in demand for electricity so this has all the hallmarks of a cat chasing its tail in terms of its futility, other than to eventually hope that they have a vibrant export market.

Westerners will trust the Chinese to build quality self driving electric cars and not program them to hurt them, hack their data or do anything else nefarious right ?...what could possibly go wrong lol

And if you've ever stood at an intersection in a large Chinese city, e.g. Beijing or Shanghai- you will realise the huge advantage in moving the emissions away from the exhaust pipes. In Japan their pointsmen directing traffic in places like Tokyo have been wearing gas masks on duty for years. To me it seems that's what will drive the inevitable demand for evs.

Update Ready To Install

Good read, something has to give here, its nuts.That bottom paragraph gives hope and i understand these latest power stations pollute less ,(will need to check that) a tiny consolation.

"New policy
    Earlier this year, in an attempt to resolve the overcapacity, China’s top energy planners established a new capacity control and retirement policy.
    But the effects of loopholes in the policy are already showing."

"These comments highlight a key finding of Greenpeace research: almost all provinces in Northwest, Southwest and Central China plan to export large amounts of power, but there isn’t going to be a supply deficit anywhere in the country.
    Hence, the same market is supplied four times over by the provinces’ own generation capacity and by planned exports from different parts of the country.
    Fuel to the fire
    Most of these export plans rely on so-called ‘ultra-high voltage transmission lines’ that are scheduled to be completed and begin operation next year. Their completion is bound to make the overcapacity situation even more acute.
    The transmission lines will also further accelerate the fall in China’s coal imports, as approximately 100 million tonnes per year of coal use will be eliminated in the coastal provinces where power plants have been importing coal.
    This massive overinvestment in coal-fired power and the resulting overcapacity is exacerbating the problem of ‘wasted’ wind and solar power, as grid operators too often fail to prioritise renewable energy sources over coal.
    Overall, the slow progress in bringing China’s coal power industry to heel is a symptom of the Chinese government’s conflicting priorities of maintaining the extremely high level of capital spending that makes up 50% of the country’s GDP, and reducing overcapacity in a range of industries.
    So far, the allure of loose credit has trumped administrative controls, but the government seems determined to take stronger measures"

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    And NZ politicians of all colours think NZ can make a change. Fools, the lot of them
    Never has the term "Cindy's Kindy" been more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    And if you've ever stood at an intersection in a large Chinese city, e.g. Beijing or Shanghai- you will realise the huge advantage in moving the emissions away from the exhaust pipes. In Japan their pointsmen directing traffic in places like Tokyo have been wearing gas masks on duty for years. To me it seems that's what will drive the inevitable demand for evs.
    I see your point but one wonders why they don't invest in widespread solar, wind or if all else fails nuclear ? Surely the Chinese are capable of producing low cost solar panels on a really huge scale or is the current smog level making solar far less effective even in the provinces ?

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

I see your point but one wonders why they don't invest in widespread solar, wind or if all else fails nuclear ? Surely the Chinese are capable of producing low cost solar panels on a really huge scale or is the current smog level making solar far less effective even in the provinces ?
    Trouble is with solar and wind is they're only good for when you've got solar and wind. Meaning you still need the 'ugly' power generation capability as back up. (which is quite often). Coal has come a long way and the latest claims are emissions are comparable to gas. China has lots of coal too, where as gas shortages are becoming more common.

Keep an eye on the wind generation stats on this site and see how often they are producing zip...

https://www.transpower.co.nz/power-system-live-data
    Last edited by t.rexjr; 09-02-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Something I heard today got me thinking:
    Performance of the batteries in the EV's either high heat or very cold -20+ and this is in middle of America moving more and more North into Canada, a large population. Will there be a large uptake in these areas when the during winter the vehicle may not be able to go anywhere (assuming roads are clear etc.)
    Maybe it will move to hybrid with the main 'engine" being electric with a back up petrol rather than the other way around as is at present in the main.
    Last edited by Jay; 07-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Never has the term "Cindy's Kindy" been more appropriate.

NZ could do a nice bit of global virtue signalling by investing in a few Gen IV reactors - that would be visionary thinking. Save the rivers to fuel the cars.

NZ could do a nice bit of global virtue signalling by investing in a few Gen IV reactors - that would be visionary thinking. Save the rivers to fuel the cars.
    I think they should build them near your place lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.

I think they should build them near your place lol
    You would want it closest to your EV fleet (besides we have loads of water down here to keep our power needs going forever (and if we run out there's always the coal)

You would want it closest to your EV fleet (besides we have loads of water down here to keep our power needs going forever (and if we run out there's always the coal)
    Nobody's going to accept nuclear energy in N.Z. Inside VW's massive $91 billion bet on EV's...interesting read https://www.msn.com/en-nz/motoring/n...cid=spartandhp